Author Topic: Anybody ever miss their old hair?  (Read 5206 times)

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
Anybody ever miss their old hair?
« on: May 15, 2020, 03:17:31 PM »
I know we all love having a smooth head, but does anyone ever miss their locks? I know I never do, because even before I started losing it, my hair was never great anyway, always on the thin and fine side. I always preferred buzzes and shorter styles anyway. And running my hands over a slick, cool, bald head feels way better than running my fingers through my hair ever did. And I honestly like the way I look better now as well. But I can understand that guys who had thick, wavy hair that they were proud of many miss it from time to time. Thoughts?

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
Re: Anybody ever miss their old hair?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 09:13:49 PM »
Simply put....no. I don’t miss my hair. Like you I never had a haircut that I really liked except in college  when I had a good stylist who cut my hair in a very Beverly Hill 902010 style. However, I wasn’t very good about styling it and using product.  The next big cut to come along was the Caesar which I wore, and i hated it. Since then, I never really had a cut i liked so i started buzzing my hair and got military style haircuts. Then i was amped about my haircut choices. A buddy of mine buzzed my hair real short — close enough to look bald headed. So i got curious. Eventually, I got the balls to take a razor to my head. Then i was really hooked! Since then I kept a shaved head. From time to time i would let my hair grow out to crewcut or a flattop but always eventually ended up going back to a shaved head.

A shaved head is a nice  constant look. It’s easy. It’s accepted. I have a nice head shape. So why not. My hair is very silvery and the top has thinned and receded so I really can’t go back to my college hair days even if I wanted to.

It’s funny though even when i took a break from shaving and had some decent length, i look back at those pictures and i feel a little repulsed. LOL.

A shaved head to me is liberation.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 09:56:34 PM »
yes I do miss my hair but like razor head it’s getting very very difficult for me to even keep it in the Flattop because it’s getting so thin and so colorless.  and I also miss it whenever I have a convertible top down I love the feel of the wind rushing through my hair and when it’s not there it doesn’t feel as nice.   

But on the pro side the shaved head is so liberating!  I am free of the compulsion of getting to the barber every 10 days to two weeks - And then it’s never cut exactly the way I want it!

as a barber I catch a lot of flak about shaving my head because people can see that I still have a little bit of hair on top and I have a full front hairline but they’ll get over it!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 07:12:52 AM »
I started getting grey hair in my 20s, by early 30's pretty much all grey, so one of the best things about shaving my head was no more grey hair! There was a few times that I had a killer flattop, but when I try to grow it now, my hair is much finer than even a few years ago. So I'm pretty happy with the shaved head look. A sharp shiny shaved head is a bold style that makes a statement!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 09:39:27 AM »
No i do not miss having hair.  as a teenager i liked the looks if very close cropped hair  on some guys.  in college i kept mine that way  and was not unhappy to realize i was balding later.  I first saved my head in late 1980's and kept it way for few years befpre the look became more common. for several decades now i have been shaving daily.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 03:35:13 PM »
Seems like many guys here sported flattops. So question.....

Killer flattop or shaved head? Which would you rather have?

That would be a tough one for me! A killer flattop to me would be shaved sides,horseshoe flat. That might lure me back to hair. But sadly, I don’t have the thickness.   >:(

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 03:59:08 PM »
I do not really miss my hair - I never really liked it when I had it, it was too hard to style.  Too wavy for most of the hair styles I liked, not curly enough of the curly styles either.  Now if I could have the hair I wanted, that may be different.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:26:04 AM by slybeard »
SlyBeard

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 04:00:22 PM »
Tough question. If the flattop was still thick enough, maybe. It's alot of maintenance and time each day to style. I also think I looked older with a white flattop. Growing up in the 60's and 70's, only old fashioned older guys sported a flattop.

Photo from about 5 years ago, self cut flattie.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 07:21:09 PM »
Reddog, that’s a tough one. You look great with the flat and with the shaved head. Nice job on the self cut flattie. It looks like a pro did it. I’ve cut my own crewcuts and skin fades but never did my own flattie.  I only liked my flattops real short on top otherwise the corners get a little droopy. Yours is perfect especially the landing strip. The last time i had a flattop was last Spring. The barber did a great job and he trimmed my beard to grow it into a ducktail. I made a stop on the way home to use a rest room and though the beard and cut made me look old. So I went to another barber to get the beard shaved off and take the top down a little. I think i got it cut two more times after that and then i just buzzed it and shaved it.

But i get what you mean about the silver/white hair. Like you, I started to turn grey in my 20s. Now at 50 I’m very silver.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 05:43:11 AM »
Thanks, Razorhead. I could probably still pull off a flattop, but I don't have the patience to grow it out for 2 or more months! I truly enjoy wearing a shaved head, and it has so many advantages.

Hard to believe in two weeks it will be 7 years since I started shaving! It's become my signature look, and everyone sees my totally bald head as normal. I'm very happy with what I see in the mirror for my age.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 10:56:33 PM »
Seems like many guys here sported flattops. So question.....

Killer flattop or shaved head? Which would you rather have?

That would be a tough one for me! A killer flattop to me would be shaved sides,horseshoe flat. That might lure me back to hair. But sadly, I don’t have the thickness.   >:

(well let me just say that I wish I still had the option.   I wore flaptop over 30 years and I think I looked damn good in it but I also during those years would sport a shaved head for a few months each year! (hence the moniker semi sly).

now since my crown is bald and my hair is extremely thin and a really ugly color gray brown mixture, in order to support the Flattop it takes a lot of work with coloring and it has  to be cut exactly right every 10 days .......l so in one way I miss it but in another way I don’t I think I look much younger with the shaved head than I do with a thin wispy flattop and I really like being free of the OCD problem with the Flattop!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 07:36:47 AM »
@Semi-Sly, yeah....flattops are definitely for the OCD type. I was very particular and getting a good barber is always a challenge for a flattop. And i would need it cut every 10 days like you. 2 weeks i think i was a little too much time. So another reason to give it up. But even a shaved head can be a bit OCD trying to the head as smooth as possible. I skipped shaving this weekend and the head is all ugly grey/silvery scruff. But scruff makes for a nice shave though.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 09:23:14 AM »
If I could have one of those killer flat-tops like @reddog or @Semi-Sly back had back in the day with color, I would want my hair back.  I would even be willing to shell out the bucks for a weekly haircut to keep it fresh.  A longer high and tight is also a style I always liked.  And now I like the high fade haircuts with a side part, shaved in part line.  All of these styles would require a weekly barber visit to keep it fresh, I am not a fan of them as they grow out.  Back in the day I was intrigued with a mullet, and that is likely the only style I liked that would have worked with my hair.  I just never had the guts to let the back grow out and try it.

Now I advise younger guys that still have ample hair to try any and all styles they like - while they still have the option.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:35:20 AM by slybeard »
SlyBeard

Offline Joe Bald

• Sly Guy in Training
  • shine on
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 06:59:54 PM »
I don't miss my hair, regard it like fingernail growth, just something I need to get rid of periodically. But interesting to read about the flattops, cause after 9 years of shaving my head, I grew out a horseshoe flattop 2 years ago. Or something close to it, since I'd lost most of my hair on top. A barber got me pretty close and yeah, I was going in for a flattop haircut every 2 weeks. And then came Covid 19 so I stopped going to the barber and just started to buzz my hair off, #1 or #0.5 depending. My barber just called today to let me know they reopened. We bs'ed for a few minutes and I told him I'm buzzing my own hair right now, he said just call me when you're ready to come back. I feel a little guilty cause he needs the business but he's an old man with health issues and I'd hate like hell to get him sick if I do have anything I don't know about. Not to mention not wanting to pick up anything myself.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 07:44:20 AM »
I have done my own flat tops , starting in high school. Had longer hair also . My preference is full head of hair over shaved . Not to sure about grey hair , my scalp is still light brown.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."