Author Topic: Interesting Video  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
Interesting Video
« on: July 05, 2019, 01:30:45 PM »
I came across this video of a barbershop headshave on Youtube. This barber really has an intricate process. Kind of the long way around the barn, but he seems to get good results. The client was getting a little thin, and looks much better once all the hair is gone.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: Interesting Video
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 02:29:20 PM »
Nice head shave - but I really dislike what he did with the top of the mustache.  IMO, the top of a mustache should always be natural and not lined-up, with a pencil mustache being the exception.  But it is what he asked for.

I recently got what I think was my best barbershop head shave.  He did the trimmer first, plenty of hot towels, straight razor, followed by a foil razor in some areas.  The difference was he really took his time with the razor to get it close.
SlyBeard

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 12:28:00 AM »
I don't know what you mean by "took the long way around the barn"?

As a barber I can tell you several things: 

- !. When I get a shave or head shave client I know that he hasn't come to me to simply slam through and throw him back out on the street.  If he is an experienced shaver he has come to me and is wiling to pay quite a bit to so.  He wants, and deserves, to be pampered and to enjoy the experience.  That is what he is paying for.  If he is a Newbie he is very SMART to come to me and to have  me spend this kind of time on him because he has never shaved his scalp before and he doesn't want to wind up looking like a butcher's apprentice!

-2. When I get a Newbie I am almost as nervous as he is because the skin on his head is not accustomed to being shaved with a razor and it is going to be SOOOO easy to nick that kind of skin!  I am going to take LOTS of time taking him down in stages, making sure that the process is as comfortable as it can possibly be.  I want everything about this experience to make him ENJOY both the process and the result, to reassure him that he has made a good decision, and to make him want to come back and do it again!  I really want him to enjoy this - and to tell the truth I feel honored when I am able to do this for a Newbie.

- 3. My old barber and mentor "Banana Joe Babitch" had a sign up in his barbershop that had a drawing of a guy with an MPB fringe and read; "Bald Guys Get Equal Chair Time"!  I still believe that and treat my customers accordingly.  I take as much time on a buzz cut as I do on a pompadour.  Just because a guy isn't  blessed with a full head of hair doesn't mean that he is not concerned about his grooming or that  he  doesn't deserve his "man time" in the barbershop. 

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 03:25:26 AM »
I got to give the client a lot of credit...At least he went ahead and bit the bullet instead of trying to "hang onto"
something that was pretty much gone anyway....I just might order that foil shaver shown in the video if the price is right

Re: The mustache/beard....I would have left the top alone, but I can certainly understand why he wanted the hair over the lip trimmed, especially if he was "tasting" his mustache...and the beard was nicely lined, especially since it was growing uneven anyway, but that's just my opinion

Sometimes, the best days (if possible), is to go to a barbershop early in the week (Tuesday/Wednesday). A slow or empty shop means that the barber may take the extra time for intricate details, instead of trying to rush to get a bunch of heads through while trying to avoid ticking off impatient customers. And I agree with Semi Sly, part of the barbershop experience is the pampering aspect that just can't be done on a do it yourself headshave.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 09:47:48 AM »
Excellent video. The barber explains his method and reason well.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 01:17:10 PM »
I came across this video of a barbershop headshave on Youtube. This barber really has an intricate process. Kind of the long way around the barn, but he seems to get good results. The client was getting a little thin, and looks much better once all the hair is gone.

wish I could grow a beard that complete