Author Topic: "Real me"  (Read 9494 times)

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
Re: "Real me"
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 06:13:38 PM »
Rockin' the sly look bro.

Offline Glenr

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 07:35:08 PM »
I can see you as the main villan in a Movie in a long black trenchcoat.  pwning people matrix Style  O:O

Offline BaldBen

• Super Sly
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2007, 09:59:11 PM »
You guys are so sweet with the remarks to John, that I'm gonna go into a diabetic shock. Yes, he looks great SLY!
But as for his flawless, shadowless head ~ that's due to the fact that he's shavin' off grey/white hairs.

And as for the Mr. Clean look that he sported for a short itme ~ it just wasn't that great a look. The guy is 50+ and that complete hairless look just accentuated the dark circles that he has under his eyes. He looked even older w/o facial hair. His beard balances and evens things out. 

Now John's chosen the best look for himself.....it's more powerful and therefore gives off a youthful edge ~ his SLY bearded self!

Seems BaldAndre is influencing many guys to go the facial hair free Mr. Clean route. For most it just doesn't work. Andre has a stubborn mindset when it come's to this Mr. Clean course of action!! Truth is he looked best with his famous signature bottom goat.       

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Ben Franklin

jusbnme

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2007, 10:20:10 PM »
You guys are so sweet with the remarks to John, that I'm gonna go into a diabetic shock. Yes, he looks great SLY!
But as for his flawless, shadowless head ~ that's due to the fact that he's shavin' off grey/white hairs.

And as for the Mr. Clean look that he sported for a short itme ~ it just wasn't that great a look. The guy is 50+ and that complete hairless look just accentuated the dark circles that he has under his eyes. He looked even older w/o facial hair. His beard balances and evens things out. 

Now John's chosen the best look for himself.....it's more powerful and therefore gives off a youthful edge ~ his SLY bearded self!

Seems BaldAndre is influencing many guys to go the facial hair free Mr. Clean route. For most it just doesn't work. Andre has a stubborn mindset when it come's to this Mr. Clean course of action!! Truth is he looked best with his famous signature bottom goat.       

Damn, did someone have a bad day or do we just need to throw a few compliments your way?

I think I remember reading a post from you a while back where you stated that you "like to stir things up."  I may not be quoting it right on but I believe it was something similar to that.  I guess this is a good example?

I can not speak for the other guys here but I meant what I said about John's "clean" look a while back.  I told him that I thought he could pull any look off and that's what I meant.  I personally thought he rocked the best look with the beard and slick dome.  But it really doesn't matter what any of us think.  I didn't mean that the clean look was possibly the best for him but that he still wore it well.  As far as any kind of dark circles go that's just one other personal characteristic that makes John who he is. 

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2007, 12:40:38 AM »
I'm with you Lance, if he wants to stir it up, he can go to another site for that.

I haven't seen a post on here yet that commented on someone the way yours did regarding JohnMont. It's totally uncalled for you to criticize the way someone looks, or to be sarcastic toward the people who are giving the compliments.
And I surely don't think that's what type of site Tyler had intended on when he started it. I know it will not be appreciated by most of the sly guys here.

Offline shyslyguy

• Super Sly
  • remember! you gotta be bald to be sly!
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2007, 02:16:57 AM »
Blimey BB - steady on bro!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but i think you're getting a bit personal there with some of those comments. Also I simply don't agree with your assessments - I think John looked pretty good sporting the Mr Clean look & I definitely don't think it made him look any older - also I really don't see the dark shadows that you mentioned.

I do agree that the beard looks good & gives a certain air of authority though.

Also ... I might be wrong but I don't think John's trying to particularly make himself look any younger as such, just trying to find the look that's best for him ... there's absolutely nothing wrong with being (or looking) 50 or 50+ - you mention it like it's some kind of social stigma but in fact, to me anyways, guys in their 50's & even 60's can & often do, look very cool indeed!

And as to whether Andre looks better with a goatee or not ... I have to say ... "truth is" .... that's just your opinion.

I'm all for stirring things up occasionally & if we can't disagree at times then this site would serve no real purpose but I think you came dangerously close there to just being insulting.    :-\
His heed was ballid, and schon as eny glas 

http://www.myspace.com/thetrombonists

Offline Koaa2

• Super Sly
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2007, 06:25:39 AM »
I think John looks pretty good, in whatever choice he decides to make for himself.

We all have to live with the choices we make and therefore we are the ones who need to feel comfortable with them.
"Wherever you go, there you are"

Offline BaldBen

• Super Sly
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2007, 07:10:41 AM »

Damn, did someone have a bad day or do we just need to throw a few compliments your way?

I can not speak for the other guys here but I meant what I said about John's "clean" look a while back. I personally thought he rocked the best look with the beard and slick dome. As far as any kind of dark circles go that's just one other personal characteristic that makes John who he is. 

There you go Lance, making negative assumptions about my intentions.
As you can see I have a bad case of shadow on my head. I admire John's shadow-free dome. And the reason he has no shadow is that his hair is light. I can't wait until my dark hair to gets lighter.

As for the comment about dark circles, I have them too in combination with puffiness. Why do ya think I'm wearing the shades? It is my experience that some form of facial hair detracts from the eye stuff and balances out the whole SLY look.

Once again Lance, I feel you misunderstood my post.
It was not intended to be negative. Peace, bald brother! O0
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 07:21:02 AM by BaldBen »

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Ben Franklin

jusbnme

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2007, 07:30:49 AM »

I can not speak for the other guys here but I meant what I said about John's "clean" look a while back. I personally thought he rocked the best look with the beard and slick dome. As far as any kind of dark circles go that's just one other personal characteristic that makes John who he is. 

There you go Lance, making negative assumptions about my intentions.
As you can see I have a bad case of shadow on my head. I admire John's shadow-free dome. And the reason he has no shadow is that his hair is light. I can't wait until my dark hair to gets lighter.

As for the comment about dark circles, I have them too in combination with puffiness. Why do ya think I'm wearing the shades? It is my experience that some form of facial hair detracts from the eye stuff and balances out the whole SLY look.

Once again Lance, I feel you misunderstood my post.
It was not intended to be negative. Peace, bald brother! O0

Honestly it did seem to come across negative but if you sincerely say that's not how you meant it then I apologize.  As I've stated in the other thread called "Hair Color" I tend to react quickly sometimes when defending someone.  Whether it was a negative comment or not I do not want to be a hypocrite and add my own negativity.  So for that reason, I apologize and say peace bro. 

JohnMont

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2007, 07:31:01 PM »

I have to admit; this kind of stung, BaldBen

You are right about the white hair, though.  if i don't shave for 2 to 3 days I have this white halo.  Then again; i've noticed that from a distance, I still look "slick" even after a couple of days. 

I have to agree with ShySly about  "the guy is 50+"   You may not have meant it, but the "tone" was kind of  condescending.

PS;   like most everyone, i'm not interested in looking "old"   I had premature gray hair at 35, had a bit of a crisis with THAT ; but came to accept it, feel comfortable with it.   On the other hand, Even though my beard is quite white; I've decided that it's really the look for me (have had it since I was 20).  So if now people take me for "50+" instead of 45, that's cool with me.

John

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2007, 08:01:39 PM »
Hey, John, I can really relate.  In the past few years my hair had really started going gray.  Now on the few days I haven't shaved, you can really see the "white" hairs.  Oh, well, I guess that's just one more good reason to stay SLY and keep itwell shaved.  But anyway, your pic is still lookin good and glad you're stayin SLY!!!
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2007, 11:51:12 PM »

I have to agree with you Lance.  Ben, if you really didn't mean to insult, I think you need to take a closer look at what you say before you post.  It was hard not to take your post as anything but extremely negative.  Please hang around, but try to be a little more careful.  One of the reasons I enjoy this site so much is that for the most part, everyone is positive and cordial to one one another.  Let's keep it that way so that there can be another 1,000 members soon.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline shyslyguy

• Super Sly
  • remember! you gotta be bald to be sly!
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2007, 03:20:35 AM »

PS;   like most everyone, i'm not interested in looking "old"   I had premature gray hair at 35, had a bit of a crisis with THAT ; but came to accept it, feel comfortable with it.   On the other hand, Even though my beard is quite white; I've decided that it's really the look for me (have had it since I was 20).  So if now people take me for "50+" instead of 45, that's cool with me.

John

John, It's interesting you say that - A very close friend of mine who, like me, went bald very early but also went grey very early has always been bothered more by his grey hair than by his baldness as he thinks it makes him look older, even though he has quite a young looking face. However, now his hair is almost white, he likes it a lot better. I think he feels that there's something about white hair which is almost magical (gandulf & wizards etc) whereas grey, like thinning hair, is more just associated with ageing - I guess for him it's similar to the slyness over thinning hair thing - anyway, he feels better about it & that's what counts.

I'm not sure what colour my hair would be if I let it grow in now - I'm 45 too & whereas when I used to grow a goatee occasionally it used to have a lot of ginger or red hairs in it (though I was never ginger, always had mousy coloured hair) now I get a lot of grey & white hairs in it so maybe I've got some grey hair too now - not likely to ever find out though  ;D

Oh & just for the record - with the Mr Clean look going on, I would have guessed your age to be early to mid 40's, with the beard I'd say 45 to 50 ish but though the beard may add a few years, it's in a good way & facial hair by it's nature always adds a few years anyways I think.

His heed was ballid, and schon as eny glas 

http://www.myspace.com/thetrombonists

JohnMont

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2007, 07:42:51 AM »

I think he feels that there's something about white hair which is almost magical (gandulf & wizards etc) whereas grey, like thinning hair, is more just associated with ageing - I guess for him it's similar to the slyness over thinning hair thing - anyway, he feels better about it & that's what counts.

Oh & just for the record - with the Mr Clean look going on, I would have guessed your age to be early to mid 40's, with the beard I'd say 45 to 50 ish but though the beard may add a few years, it's in a good way & facial hair by it's nature always adds a few years anyways I think.

I agree with what you say about the 'magical' aspect.  I think that thought has been in my subconscious somewhere; you helped bring it to the fore.  When I was around 37 and met some people I hadn't seen for a couple of years, they commented on how they thought the overall more consistent 'white' looked better than the somewhat spotty 'salt and pepper'  they remembered.  But again; the all-white thing is kind of magical.  Gandulf, yeah ... he's cool . ....

You are right about beards adding "age" , whether you are 25 with black hair, or 45 with grey / white.  But again; it's not all about trying to look "young."

John

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2007, 07:53:00 AM »
John, you look good both clean and with the beard.  But by far the beard gives an edgier (sp) appearance.    I personally don't like the grey for myself so it's the Just For Men solution for me.  There is one real positive to the greying process though, virtually no shadow when you shave the old dome.  Gotta love that.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost