Author Topic: Oklahoma (Not the Musical haha)  (Read 3134 times)

jcroce1994

Oklahoma (Not the Musical haha)
« on: September 20, 2007, 09:47:07 PM »
Touring rural Oklahoma with my mom this week has been fun. First time I think we've ever been together for more than a few hours without arguing. (Amazing!) She hates my driving, I hate her big, diesel dyke pickup truck, and we keep the music OFF, because we totally don't see eye to eye on that.  :@`

One thing we agree on is BBQ. OMG, this is the BarBQue Capital of the world. It's not all great BBQ, but you can't swing a dead cat around OK without getting BBQ sauce on it. BBQ stands all over the place. Vans is the worst, but it still smells good, and their curly fries are to DIE for. Car washes are also big here.  Not the automatic drive through kind.  The kind with 6 stalls and long metal wands, that you have to get out of your car and use to scrub your own vehicle.  It seems to be some kind of obsession with Oklahomans.  The damn things are absolutely everywhere.  Even in the tinyest towns. Sometimes, more than one to the block.  Not as numerous as churches here, but decidedly out of proportion to the population. :o

I have to pass along another observation.  Oklahoma moves at a very slow pace.  Whether it's in the city or out in the rural countryside, nobody hurries. Traffic moves along, just below the speed limit, for no obvious reason.  Cashiers in the grocery stores take their time, commenting on each item you purchase.  Waiters meander slowly across restaurant dining rooms, chatting with the customers and being sweet and charming in that inimitable Southern manner.  Pedestrians saunter lazily down the sidewalks, as if they had no specific destination in mind. Even the sun seems to take it's time rising and setting.  It's maddening!!  Like a world on Prozac. :Xo!

I'm in OKC today.   I'll be spending a few days with my peeps at The Habana Inn, Oklahoma City's infamously Gay Motel. It's a really cute, 60's kind of motel, with a pool, several bars, a gift shop and a decent, if slightly pretentious restaurant.  The front desk is very helpful and friendly(and again, unhurried.).  They say it's the biggest Gay Resort in the mid-west. I don't know, but I'm looking forward to getting away from the breeders for a while. I'll be going to see Eric Himan perform at Galileo Saturday night. He's amazingly talented (and hot), and I'm really looking forward to that!! O0

So for all who are following my journey, I'll be back home in Birmingham sometime Monday night. Maybe I'll have some juicy tales to tell, or maybe I'll just be glad to get back home. We'll see.

Ciao 4 Now!!

jusbnme

Re: Oklahoma (Not the Musical haha)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 09:49:48 PM »
Hey bro, have a safe trip back.  Don't get too discouraged about the "slow pace" of things out there.  For me it would be a nice break from the way things are around here. 

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 12:28:15 AM »
have fun bro!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 03:38:41 AM »
Jay I'm a big fan of rural area sightseeing too. Lets you see how real people exist and live. Be safe and drive sensibly. I've hear Oklahoma Highway Patrol are pretty tough on speeding.

Offline BaldBen

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 07:16:22 AM »
Jay I'm a big fan of rural area sightseeing too.

What's wrong with OKLAHOMA! the musical......
Jesse, Hugh Jackman was in it and did a down home job (on PBS in the States)!!

"The farmer and the cowman should be friends,
the farmer and the cowman should be friends.
One man likes to push a plough, the other likes to chase a cow,
But that's no reason why they cain't be friends.
Territory folks should stick together,
Territory folks should all be pals."  O0

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Ben Franklin

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 07:21:22 AM »
Jay I'm a big fan of rural area sightseeing too.

What's wrong with OKLAHOMA! the musical......
Jesse, Hugh Jackman was in it and did a down home job (on PBS in the States)!!

"The farmer and the cowman should be friends,
the farmer and the cowman should be friends.
One man likes to push a plough, the other likes to chase a cow,
But that's no reason why they cain't be friends.
Territory folks should stick together,
Territory folks should all be pals."  O0

Hugh Jackman was also in The Boy from Oz where he played famous Australian dancer/entertainer Peter Allen.

I have been to Peter Allens childhood home of Tenterfield in far northern New south wales.

Offline BaldBen

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 07:29:50 AM »
Hugh Jackman was also in The Boy from Oz where he played famous Australian dancer/entertainer Peter Allen.
I have been to Peter Allens childhood home of Tenterfield in far northern New south wales.

Isn't New South Wales kinda like Oklahoma? Similiar terrain.
Not a fan of Peter Allen!!  :px

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Ben Franklin

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 07:31:53 AM »
85 percent of Australia's population live in 15 percent of its landmass. Most of the whole continent is like Oklahoma.Desolate,dry,isolated yet filled with character.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 09:41:06 AM »
I like Oklahoma, aside from the tornadoes and dust. Great musical talent coming out of there too. I also prefer the laid back take it slow life as well.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 10:09:10 AM »
85 percent of Australia's population live in 15 percent of its landmass. Most of the whole continent is like Oklahoma.Desolate,dry,isolated yet filled with character.

Did you mean character or "characters" JDog?  ;D  j/k bro, can't wait to see Australia some day.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 04:39:40 PM »
"You're so purty Wilbur."
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

jcroce1994

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 06:43:24 PM »
Jay I'm a big fan of rural area sightseeing too. Lets you see how real people exist and live. Be safe and drive sensibly. I've hear Oklahoma Highway Patrol are pretty tough on speeding.

I remember, years ago, when my folks first moved here, Oklahoma fought the 55 MPH speed limit pretty hard.  Not enforcing 55 almost cost them tons of Fed dollars in Hwy funding.  Now 65 or 70 is the norm on the Interstates, and it's 60 or 65 on a lot of those rural roads that used to be limited to 55.  So I guess they won a few battles.  But yeah, they're tough on enforcement now.  Not like 20 years ago, when driving too slow was more likely to get you a ticket.   

BTW, they don't have a motorcycle helmet law here.  So you can feel the wind in your hair as you ride. (If you happen to have any. hehe)