Author Topic: FATHER and his bald head  (Read 4810 times)

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
FATHER and his bald head
« on: March 01, 2019, 12:00:19 PM »
As long as I can remember, my dad was bald and had that grey facial hair. The only time I saw him with hair was old wedding pictures before I was born.

I gotta hand it to him, he was always confident in his own skin. Nothing rattled him.

He saw me struggle as a kid when I started to loose my hair but let me find my own way. The first time he saw me after I shaved my head, I could sense he was content, even proud, of the decision I made.

I try to emulate him but he's got big shoes to fill.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: FATHER and his bald head
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 12:29:19 PM »
Wow Chris, that's cool to have a sly dad! Do you ever talk about shaving? Great way to have a common bond with a parent.

My dad passed in 1975 when I was 21. I had very long hair, and he was always bugging me to get a crewcut. I'm sure he would approve of my current haircut though!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 01:53:52 PM »
Wow Chris, that's cool to have a sly dad! Do you ever talk about shaving? Great way to have a common bond with a parent.

My dad passed in 1975 when I was 21. I had very long hair, and he was always bugging me to get a crewcut. I'm sure he would approve of my current haircut though!
We never really talked about it. My dad was a many of few words but heart of gold. The most important thing for him is that we treated my mom with respect.

Offline scooby

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 03:01:50 PM »
your father should be proud to have a great son like you.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 03:35:20 PM »
That's great, he was sly when sly wasn't cool.  Well, it was cool to me.

My father passed away when he was 39, me 14.  He had some thinning going on, but still had his hair.  His Father's side held on to their hair fairly well, but his mother's side were mostly bald, some very early.  My cousins mostly still have their hair., but the ones that lost it did so early.
SlyBeard

Offline PDXGuy

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 03:47:31 PM »
Growing up I had crewcuts and flattops until I hit junior high and then had long hair. My Dad was always wanting me to get buzzed in the summer. Same with my uncle and cousins. On my Dad's side of the family most of my cousins are bald now. By the time I hit college I went back to short hair and in my 30's started getting flattops. My Dad thought it was cool although he was wearing a comb over. I never gave him a hard time about it.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 04:10:00 PM »
If I would have known my dad was going to die, I would have got that crewcut he wanted me to get. That would have been pretty drastic in 1975. And right before that I was tired from my job for refusing to get a haircut! My, my, how times change.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 05:29:13 PM »
my three sons all shave their heads.  I got short buzz cut when i was 18  in 1950 - sjave jead in the 70's

bob

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 08:14:48 PM »
That's great, he was sly when sly wasn't cool.  Well, it was cool to me.

My father passed away when he was 39, me 14.  He had some thinning going on, but still had his hair.  His Father's side held on to their hair fairly well, but his mother's side were mostly bald, some very early.  My cousins mostly still have their hair., but the ones that lost it did so early.
sorry you lost your dad so young. sad.  :(

i got a lot of cousins, the ones on my mom's side have their hair. on my dad's side just the opposite. I blend in with that part of the family very well.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 09:44:50 PM »
Almost all of the men on both sides of my family died before the age of 50.  My Father had six brothers and six sisters.  All of the brothers were severely thinning/bald; most sported oily comb-overs.  My Father had snow white hair since birth and it was very thin and fine.  He wore a comb-over until I was out of the house and then he wore God-awful (and insanely expensive) toupe's until he died but he did "live" to be over 60.

All but one of the men on my mother's side died before I was even born.  The photos show them all with full heads of hair; but then they died before most men of that era experienced any severe hair loss.

My brother had always had hair like my father's.  I  always had hair like the men on my mother's side of the family - until I got sick and the drugs wiped it out.  I still have a full hair line but  it grew back extremely thin and wispy, (and the color of dead mouse).  I miss my flattop but I look better without the "old man hair" and without the "dead mouse" colored facial hair.

Since I cannot have nice hair, I don't want any hair at all.  But I hate shaving and I really, really, really, wish there were a way to remove it permanently.  I know from having my back and shoulders waxed repeatedly over the years that over time there is almost no hair there anymore.  Over time the follicles just "give up".  And, while it was painful the first few times, it became less and less painful with each succeeding wax job.  I would  truly like to try getting my head waxed by a pro who knows how to do small strips at a time.  I have seen horror films on Youtube of "home waxing adventures" but I have also seen one Youtube where they do it correctly and the results look really good!   The pro's are not allowed to do this in Illinois.  Do any of you guys know where I might be able to give this a try?

I have also heard of guys who have used an epilator to permanently remove head hair.  Again, they say to do it in very small narrow strips at a time.  Do any of you guys have experience with this?

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 08:13:32 AM »
Almost all of the men on both sides of my family died before the age of 50.  My Father had six brothers and six sisters.  All of the brothers were severely thinning/bald; most sported oily comb-overs.  My Father had snow white hair since birth and it was very thin and fine.  He wore a comb-over until I was out of the house and then he wore God-awful (and insanely expensive) toupe's until he died but he did "live" to be over 60.

All but one of the men on my mother's side died before I was even born.  The photos show them all with full heads of hair; but then they died before most men of that era experienced any severe hair loss.

My brother had always had hair like my father's.  I  always had hair like the men on my mother's side of the family - until I got sick and the drugs wiped it out.  I still have a full hair line but  it grew back extremely thin and wispy, (and the color of dead mouse).  I miss my flattop but I look better without the "old man hair" and without the "dead mouse" colored facial hair.

Since I cannot have nice hair, I don't want any hair at all.  But I hate shaving and I really, really, really, wish there were a way to remove it permanently.  I know from having my back and shoulders waxed repeatedly over the years that over time there is almost no hair there anymore.  Over time the follicles just "give up".  And, while it was painful the first few times, it became less and less painful with each succeeding wax job.  I would  truly like to try getting my head waxed by a pro who knows how to do small strips at a time.  I have seen horror films on Youtube of "home waxing adventures" but I have also seen one Youtube where they do it correctly and the results look really good!   The pro's are not allowed to do this in Illinois.  Do any of you guys know where I might be able to give this a try?

I have also heard of guys who have used an epilator to permanently remove head hair.  Again, they say to do it in very small narrow strips at a time.  Do any of you guys have experience with this?
Sorry to hear about the short lifespan of the men in your family. Damn 50 is too young. Hopefully, you can double that with modern medicine, etc.

My mom has a trunk of old pictures of relatives from both sides my family. One of these days, I gotta dig thru them and see who kept and who didn't keep their hair. I know my dad's side, MPB was a dominant in our genetics. Most my  cousins, dad's side,  are bald as f**k.

I think much less on mom's side. And both sides had large families. Catholics. LOL.

Enter your email address: