Author Topic: New Gillette commercial  (Read 13906 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: New Gillette commercial
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2019, 01:03:34 PM »
[quote author=DoberDaddy link=topic=28430.msg374879#msg374879 date=1547751135

Tyler, totally respect your opinion.

I can understand you not liking when companies take a stand, especially when it's something provocative, it makes people uncomfortable.

I watched it a third time, and I still don't think that it paints all masculinity as bullying and abusive, but you need to step out of yourself and see it from the other perspective, it's a huge problem, with many of the surveys saying that between 75-80% of women in the USA reporting having been sexually harassed or abused, by men. This is huge, this is a problem, these are your wives, mothers, girlfriends, daughters, etc. (as well as other men) They needed to make a point if people were not upset by it, then they didn't do their job.

S.
[/quote]

I have a company that I hired a woman to be the CEO. In my other company, I brought on our first woman board member. My only child is a daughter. I'm very in tune with the issues of women in the workplace and elsewhere. Though, I don't think that's going to change by having a company that sells men's products (arguably the largest men's brand) lecture men through a commercial.

The intro to the commercial literally says, "toxic masculinity." The other ridiculous aspect is showing two young boys wrestling. Anyone that has spent time around young boys knows that it's natural for them to wrestle and it's not an act of bullying. There was some positive aspects of the commercial, like the man speaking confidence into his daughter, but I feel the overall tone of the commercial did more to harm their message than affect change.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline nohairnow

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2019, 04:15:21 PM »
Absolutely agree with the video!

mostly White, Straight, Christian men

In caps no less.  Wow. Biased much?

if so, would have used ALL CAPS, I seem to have touched a nerve?

Yes, I don't like bigoted, ignorant people.

Offline gutsygirl

• Surviving Chronic Illness with a Smile :D
  • Sly
  • Gutsy is as Gutsy does!
    • Naturally Gutsy - surviving gastrointestinal illness with a smile!
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2019, 07:13:39 PM »
I can’t see how this commercial wii help sales...

Do you fellas realize how many women buy razor products and shave gel to attack our naturally hairy legs and underarms and bikini lines? I actually wonder if women give Gillette more money than men do each year! So maybe the commercial was, at least in part, trying to appeal to women?

I liked the commercial, and I didn't see it as an attempt to put men down, but to lift them up...to encourage them to lift up one another to do the upstanding thing in all situations.

I still appreciate when a man holds a door for me (especially given my wheelchair). And I still hate being cat-called and teased mercilessly. And God do I wish the men in my life had stood up for me when I was being abused! But they didn't. So I appreciated Gillette's potential attempt to encourage men to step up in general and hold one another accountable.

I think I have a more positive brand affiliation with Gillette because the commercial said to me, "We as men want to stop ignoring how our actions and our inactions impact others (both male and female). We want to be courageous and stand for what is right." That makes me feel safer as a woman.

Besides....many women do the grocery shopping!!! :D Ha! They had better market to women!
CRPSablaze.wordpress.com, NaturallyGutsy.com

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2019, 09:34:59 PM »
“ You go girl”.!!!     O0
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2019, 08:16:34 PM »
What do you think of this response to the Gillette ad?

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PDXGuy

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2019, 11:14:33 PM »
Really interesting. If this was planned as the follow up to creating dialogue and controversary with the first ad I would say this is great marketing. Getting people engage, talking and showing alternative sides. However at the end I did not even remember the Gillette part of the ad.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2019, 03:56:41 PM »
What do you think of this response to the  ad?

Excellent!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2019, 03:59:32 PM »
And then there’s this: