Author Topic: New Gillette commercial  (Read 13888 times)

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
  • Feckin' little baldy eejit!
    • My blog: Raiméis
Re: New Gillette commercial
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 12:25:05 AM »
I don't know how I feel about the ad, not positive anyway, doesn't encourage me to want to change in any way. I think their intentions may have been genuine but I think they went about it all wrong. Why not tackle mens mental health? Why not focus more on men's positives?

Magoo, completely disagree with your last statement tbh. Men are every bit as emotionally complex as women, we've just been forced to surpress our emotional side for too long. Evidence in the number of young, male suicides...

Offline PDXGuy

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 01:03:20 AM »
I didn't think of it as a men vs women funding issue but I guess you are right. Never thought of that way. Makes sense though.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 07:22:43 AM »
Well; don't you know that everything is the fault of men?

I am so sick of this crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We men are the real victims.  We get only $1 spent on Men's health issues for every $8 dollars spent on womenn's health issues.

Just don’t see it your way . They are not saying all men are setting bad examples. But there sure is plenty that are. I feel that’s not me so why would it upset me. The difference in dollars spent between the sexes I can’t say . But females are both physical and emotionally more complex than males. Live with one and you will find out.

Magoo; that is one of the most blatantly sexist statements I have seen in a while!
Well let us “ agree to disagree “.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 07:36:32 AM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 10:19:33 AM »
Hey guys, I didn't post this so we could bash each other. It's relevant to the shaving world and it's getting a lot of press.

I personally don't like ANY company that pushes a political agenda and I feel Gillette is doing that, so I'll likely curb any purchases from them for a while.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 12:01:29 PM »
I can see why this is getting lots of attention. People have strong opinions on the subject.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 12:27:40 PM »
@Magoo I agree! I've seen the same strong opinions across the internet and Facebook.

What's interesting is that Gillette has been deleting comments on their YouTube videos which has created even more controversy.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 01:47:21 PM »
@Magoo I agree! I've seen the same strong opinions across the internet and Facebook.

What's interesting is that  has been deleting comments on their YouTube videos which has created even more controversy.
I wonder if they have second thoughts on running this commercial ?

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 03:54:23 PM »

What's interesting is that Gillette has been deleting comments on their YouTube videos which has created even more controversy.

Perhaps they realize that marketing's brainchild was not what the customer base wanted to hear ?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 12:13:19 AM »

What's interesting is that  has been deleting comments on their YouTube videos which has created even more controversy.

Perhaps they realize that marketing's brainchild was not what the customer base wanted to hear ?
yeah but some Harvard "whiz kid" formed a "focus group" of people who think just like she does and they determined that this this would be a great marketing gimmick!  Why is it that people who live their lives in one square inch on "social" media believe that it is their "duty" as benevolent despots to tell the rest  of us lesser beings how we should think?

They are so Waaay out of touch!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2019, 01:47:33 AM »
It looks like the backlash continues.

INSIDER: People are trashing their razors to protest Gillette's controversial ad about toxic masculinity.
https://www.thisisinsider.com/gillette-razor-protest-after-controversial-ad-2019-1

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2019, 05:48:18 AM »
Absolutely agree with the video!

For too long, mostly White, Straight, Christian men have ruled the world. Women, at worst, were considered property, at best, second class citizens. This "BULLY" culture is toxic and needs to end.

As for companies pushing a political agenda, you are fooling yourselves if you think it is limited to occasional ads like this (and NIKE, as another example). Companies do it all the time, it's called political donations, you just are not aware of it (and considerably more dangerous).

I have worked with women in power positions for decades in the corporate world and became friends with them, and heard their stories. No need to repeat them, they are all too common.

Here, in Israel, the "macho" army culture makes it even worse. Men need to be tough, to be "fighters". At some point, society here said "enough". A sitting president, Moshe Katzav was indicted, and went to prison for sexual harassment, to this day, he denies it, despite the preponderance of evidence against him. And I will add, there is no "trial by jury" here. You are tried by a panel of judges, so no "fancy lawyering" and "show trials" like in the USA, and other places.

OK, so maybe the pendulum has swung a bit in the other direction, but will certainly move to the center. Women are going to continue to demand to be treated fairly, with respect, it's their right.

All the whining and BS of boycotting just means that this commercial struck a cord, otherwise you would not be getting all your knickers into such a twist. See how the boycott worked for Nike?

FYI, in the USA, the ERA has STILL yet to pass. We got on here, in 1951, just saying.

Offline nohairnow

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2019, 11:13:58 AM »

mostly White, Straight, Christian men

In caps no less.  Wow. Biased much?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2019, 11:25:55 AM »
@DoberDaddy I'm not fooling myself regarding political agendas. Most top corporations have one, but they don't push them onto the public through advertisements.

I think the main problem I have with the video is that it confuses masculinity with abuse. A person can be masculine and not be abusive. And a person can be feminine and be abusive. To paint masculinity as the root cause of abuse is to be as ignorant as someone who says all people of particular skin color are the root of crime.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2019, 11:33:44 AM »

mostly White, Straight, Christian men

In caps no less.  Wow. Biased much?

if so, would have used ALL CAPS, I seem to have touched a nerve?

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2019, 11:52:15 AM »
@DoberDaddy I'm not fooling myself regarding political agendas. Most top corporations have one, but they don't push them onto the public through advertisements.

I think the main problem I have with the video is that it confuses masculinity with abuse. A person can be masculine and not be abusive. And a person can be feminine and be abusive. To paint masculinity as the root cause of abuse is to be as ignorant as someone who says all people of particular skin color are the root of crime.

Tyler, totally respect your opinion.

I can understand you not liking when companies take a stand, especially when it's something provocative, it makes people uncomfortable.

I watched it a third time, and I still don't think that it paints all masculinity as bullying and abusive, but you need to step out of yourself and see it from the other perspective, it's a huge problem, with many of the surveys saying that between 75-80% of women in the USA reporting having been sexually harassed or abused, by men. This is huge, this is a problem, these are your wives, mothers, girlfriends, daughters, etc. (as well as other men) They needed to make a point if people were not upset by it, then they didn't do their job.

S.