Author Topic: New Gillette commercial  (Read 13909 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
New Gillette commercial
« on: January 15, 2019, 12:28:10 AM »
There's a lot of controversy over the new Gillette commercial. What did you guys think?

Will it affect your decision to buy their products?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 12:30:47 AM by Tyler »

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline nohairnow

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: New Gillette commercial
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 10:12:41 AM »
It absolutetly will affect my purchasing.  I have now used my last Gillette product ever.  Good ridance.

I don't support companies that think it's okay to engage in politics. I know sometimes its impossible to avoid them, but in this case there are plenty of alternatives.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 01:45:28 PM »
I have a huge stockpile of blades right now so the impact of my not buying anymore wouldn’t be felt for quite  some time.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 02:41:35 PM »
Is there a problem with the commercial? I don’t see it . Maybe I’M missing something. What am I missing?
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 04:13:26 PM »
There's a lot of controversy over the new  commercial. What did you guys think?

Will it affect your decision to buy their products?

cool add and tag line. 'best a man can get . . . ' 

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 04:37:15 PM »
Is there a problem with the commercial? I don’t see it . Maybe I’M missing something. What am I missing?

Many people feel that the advertisement is implying that all/most men are toxic due to their masculinity.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PDXGuy

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 05:06:22 PM »
I actually thought the ad was good. In Junior High/High School I got bullied and the sh*t kicked out of me. It's funny as in College/Grad School/Career I was always on the A team and well liked. It is funny how that can shift. I think in the later years brains counted for more than braun.

Offline artudo123

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 05:54:45 PM »
My first question was, why is Gillette putting out this commercial? I'm not against the message in the commercial, I'm just wondering who in the company felt so compelled that they needed to produce this and brand themselves this way. When you make a commercial, you do it to make money. I don't necessarily know that this commercial is going to boost their profit margins. I just don't see men now racing out to buy Gillette products, if anything its quite the opposite. Clearly Gillette feels strongly about this subject, but I'm also sort of going "Hey razor company, don't tell me how to behave." Gillette's message is respectable but is it really going to change people's behaviour?

I live in Canada but I notice in the United States that a lot of companies make political donations. You don't see or hear major corporations up here getting as political.

The fact of the matter is that men have a pretty rap right now. While the #MeToo movement was a long-time coming, I do feel like all men have been painted with the same brush.

One thing I want to note, is that there is toxic masculinity in the gay community in which I am apart of. I know of a lot of masculine gay men who wouldn't give the time of day to a feminine gay man and wouldn't want to be caught associating with them. It's also my experience that in the gay community you have to identify yourself as masc or femme. I don't identify as either of those, I'm sort of in between the two nor am I attracted to people who portray or identify themselves as strictly one or the other. However, I'm also respectful to people that do identify themselves that way.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 07:06:59 PM »
I take issue with the idea that is floating around in the US that equates masculinity to bullying and sexual abuse.  The commercial implies this, even though they do not actually say it.  They are not the same thing, and never have been.  But now, every male is automatically labeled guilty just because of his sex, and we are being told we need to teach our young boys to not be masculine.

I was taught from an early age that I can be masculine without being a bully or a sexist.  It is not a hard concept to get.

SlyBeard

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 07:10:17 PM »
I don’t need to be preached to by Gillette or any other company whose products I buy.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 08:19:16 PM »
I can’t see how this commercial wii help sales . The message is fine , it is the modern “political correctness”, that’s for sure . Appears to be aimed at the younger generation , now is when they learn right and wrong . Will the older generation change  most likely not ,old habits hard to change.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 09:56:28 PM »
Well; don't you know that everything is the fault of men?

I am so sick of this crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We men are the real victims.  We get only $1 spent on Men's health issues for every $8 dollars spent on womenn's health issues.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 10:17:42 PM »

We men are the real victims.  We get only $1 spent on Men's health issues for every $8 dollars spent on womenn's health issues.
Just don’t see it your way . They are not saying all men are setting bad examples. But there sure is plenty that are. I feel that’s not me so why would it upset me. The difference in dollars spent between the sexes I can’t say . But females are both physical and emotionally more complex than males. Live with one and you will find out.

Offline nohairnow

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 10:38:53 PM »
Devisive politics. Pushing the idea of "toxic masculinity" is nothing more. Gillette is making a very calculated move believing that more will buy into it rather than be offended by it.  They saw it work for Nike and they are tryng to cash in on it.  They absolutely have no moral or ethical belief in "toxic masculinity".  They are just throwing a hall mary for a win, and could give a shiz if they devide us further or not.  Seriously, screw them.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 10:42:44 PM »

Just don’t see it your way . They are not saying all men are setting bad examples. But there sure is plenty that are. I feel that’s not me so why would it upset me. The difference in dollars spent between the sexes I can’t say . But females are both physical and emotionally more complex than males. Live with one and you will find out.

Magoo; that is one of the most blatantly sexist statements I have seen in a while!

Enter your email address: