Author Topic: Scalp Tweezing 101 - Advanced  (Read 15822 times)

Offline balddan013

• Bald Dan
  • Learning the way of Sly
  • Like a good cigar, a bald head is a guy thing...
Scalp Tweezing 101 - Advanced
« on: December 28, 2018, 07:44:43 AM »
I tried to respond to the Scalp Tweezing topics that were posted a few years ago.  Back in March 2015 looks to be the last update.  This bald topic has been sadly neglected.  I wanted to update my status on SBG and share my experience in being a dedicated scalp tweezer since early 2015.  If anyone is interested in the history of scalp tweezing and my results.  I would be glad to share photos, advice and have some good conversation.

Offline balddan013

• Bald Dan
Re: Scalp Tweezing 101 - Advanced
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 07:59:13 AM »
Some basic history to get things started.   Scalp Tweezing has an ancient history that dates back to the Egyptian priests and aristocrats who saw a bald man as a sign of respect.  The aristocrats would rely on shaving their heads with from what I have read through history was done with razor sharp knives.  A slow process that I am sure was risky.  We have progressed to safety razors.  Scalp Tweezing was reserved for the Priests, who plucked out not only their head hair but all hairs a their body.  It required patience and dedication.  Picture is from a Hollywood movie but very accurate.  But, scalp tweezing seemed to be an ancient art and disappeared in modern times.

Offline balddan013

• Bald Dan
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 08:15:06 AM »
First things first.  Like in ancient times, Scalp tweezing requires patience and dedication.  Scalp Tweezing is not shaving.  I can't say that enough and you must always remember that.  It is a process of making your head bald. The best comparison or metaphor is the following:  I am a cigar smoker so I will use that.  I use it to explain to people who immediately say "Ah the pain!"  Scalp Tweezing is like smoking a good 52 ring cigar.  Takes time, you enjoy it, and have a great experience.  Shaving is like smoking a cigarette.  Quick light, gone in about 2 or 3 minutes and you get the nicotine.  That's about it.  Like cigar smoking you take it slow, get the complex flavors and the results it brings with it.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 10:29:57 PM by balddan013 »

Offline balddan013

• Bald Dan
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 08:23:43 AM »
Here is a progression of about three to four months of scalp tweezing starting in late 2014 through today.  Each picture shows full regrowth after tweezing.  For example, the first picture I did a complete tweeze.  (I can go over that later when I start getting questions on the actual tweezing process I went through).  Shaved my head every day, then stopped and let it regrow out as much as it could.  Second picture, complete scalp tweeze again, shave everyday, ten stopped and let what was left regrow out as much as it could.  So on and so on for about 4 months.  It has been maintenance tweezes since early-mid 2015.  That leads to the advanced and some head waxing.

Offline balddan013

• Bald Dan
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 08:26:24 AM »
This is a final initial posting to Scalp Tweezing.  It is just regular tweezing maintenance. 

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 03:00:17 PM »
Amazing results! Congrats on having the patience and fortitude to do it.  Who helped you do it? How long did it take to do a complete job at first and did you do it all in one sitting?

Offline balddan013

• Bald Dan
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 09:41:11 AM »
Good to hear from you Laser Man!  Appreciate your comments.  There is some detail in Scalp Tweezing but when I started there was not a lot of information on how to do it.  In a nutshell I did it all myself.  There are no barbers that I have been able to find who do it.  Why would they-  They would loose a customer.  My first scalp tweeze took about 4-5 days.  Did it while on vacation.  After many attempts in using the epilator like a regular razor, realized I was doing it wrong so I did some research.  I didn’t invent anything, but used the natural balding process as a guide.  The Norwood scale of baldness created for men years ago.  First I found my hair which was a Class 2.  I used that as a guide over the next few days.

I created small bald spots and work outward on the head slowly.  First goal was creating a 2A-3A bald forehead.  Removing strips of hair at a slow pace enlarging the bald area.  At the same time I created a small bald spot on the crown to start the Class 3V-5.  Alternating to give parts of my scalp a rest.  Working myself to a Norwood 7.  Taking breaks as needed.  Basically, I used the MPB Norwood scale to keep it uniform and on track to being completely bald. That way I could go out at anytime during the process and it looked liked a natural stage of MPB until it was all gone.  I do want to say that I still shave my head.  Although my hair is 99% gone I do still maintain a modest MPB horeshoe fringe on my neck and around my ears that I can shave like all guys with extreme MPB.  That is the hair that I remove with regular monthly Scalp tweezing.  But I still can grow that fringe out. But a good head shave without hair is still refreshing, removing dead skin and keeping my bald head clean and healthy.  My head shines up much better too.

Offline balddan013

• Bald Dan
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 10:08:34 AM »
Just wanted to add, having realized I gave a lot of detail, and some men might say I want try it. I do want to advise and not so much caution guys not to scalp tweeze unless you truly want to be MP bald.  It is like getting a tattoo.  It will be permanent MPB with regular scalp tweezing.  And, a permanent skin slick bald head looks great and natural on most men but for mother nature’s reasons not as good on few others (i.e. head shape, ability to grow a full beard, skin tone etc.- Topics addressed by bald men very well on SBG).  My thought is that if you have a “different” head shape you probably have full head of hair and may look not as good as other naturally bald men.  You can reveal that by shaving your head and say nah, need to grow it back.  But I believe a lot of that is not thinking it looks good, it’s just getting used to be bald and commitment to the 30-day rule.

Final results of regular scalp tweezing will be a permanent Norwood 7 (plus) MPB once you pass that point of no return and your hair stops growing back. But, I assure you that I still enjoy shaving my head and all those bald men grooming products.

Offline zetaeffe

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • The Bald by Choice Men group
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 06:33:33 PM »
Congratulations about your achievements! I've bee tweezing my whole scalp since 2006 and me too am at the 99% bald scalp stage and loving it!! was a big effort but am happy I went for it!

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 07:37:33 PM »
So, is possible to go permanently bald with tweezing.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 05:25:39 AM »
I did a lot of tweezing on myself on my path to being bald years ago.  i have continued to do some to remove other hair,  actually have little hair elsewhere from that and natural causes.

Offline Hieu Tran

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 09:41:33 PM »
Hi mates, I finally decided to keep my entire head bald (except beard) for the rest of my life after several years shaving and then grow it back and shave it again.
I'm an Asian bald by choice guy. In spite of trying really much in the daily shave, there's always be the shadow all over my head. Besides, they grow back extremely fast and thick, just 12 hours after shave and I can feel the new hair, and it would take 24 hours to become a sand paper. Shaving also cause razor pump sometime.
So I'm thinking of tweezing and really need you help.
If you rarely login this site, hope you can contact me back by facebook since I rarely login this site too. If you do not have facebook account, please reply with any menthod you prefer and I will try to reach you as soon as possible. This is my facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002776104137
And this is my head after 12 hour shave ATG:

P/s: @balddan013 Your inbox is already full so I can not send you messages, hope you can see this comment.

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 12:41:35 AM »
Why not try an Epilator ?

Offline Hieu Tran

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 08:32:16 AM »
Why not try an Epilator ?

I'm considering about it so I'm seeking more details now. Could you help me for more details?

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 11:08:28 AM »
Hi mates, I finally decided to keep my entire head bald (except beard) for the rest of my life after several years shaving and then grow it back and shave it again.
I'm an Asian bald by choice guy. In spite of trying really much in the daily shave, there's always be the shadow all over my head. Besides, they grow back extremely fast and thick, just 12 hours after shave and I can feel the new hair, and it would take 24 hours to become a sand paper. Shaving also cause razor pump sometime.
So I'm thinking of tweezing and really need you help.
If you rarely login this site, hope you can contact me back by facebook since I rarely login this site too. If you do not have facebook account, please reply with any menthod you prefer and I will try to reach you as soon as possible. This is my facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002776104137
And this is my head after 12 hour shave ATG:

P/s: @balddan013 Your inbox is already full so I can not send you messages, hope you can see this comment.
good luck for you. i struggled young balding but now embrace it.

i have just the ring stubble left and wish that was totally gone.