Author Topic: COFFEE......  (Read 37816 times)

Bald_freak

Re: COFFEE......
« Reply #150 on: January 30, 2008, 04:38:25 PM »
Rockstar and Monster Java's are really tasty, but I drink them way too fast then bounce off the friggin walls all day. They're 2 for $4 at work(2.49 ea.) so I buy 2 and usually have em both gone in 15 minutes.

Offline Jdogs Better Half

• Super Sly
« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2008, 01:16:15 AM »

Just an update, due to Levi's crap sleeping habits I am now back on the real juice...not more decaf for me, I can now function before midday!  :D :D :D :D

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2008, 09:39:53 AM »
I finally tried one of Seattle's Best coffees and was really happy with it. It was the Henry's blend, which is one of their balanced roasts. (they have three; bright, balanced and big.) It's very good, with a smooth taste and you can actually use a bit less as it brews a good strong cup.

It ranks right up there with Millstone and Tully's, so I now have three choices to look for and I can usually find one of them on sale. I believe Marz mentioned he enjoys these brews also, and I definitely agree.
If you like a good strong cup, you will be happy with Seattle's Best.    O0

Offline charlesh1609

• Sly Stylin' Slickster
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2008, 11:56:11 AM »
Wow.  A whole thread and NO ONE mentioned that the BEST coffee is ...

Coffee you roast and grind yourself!!!

Now, dammit don't turn away like that!  Compare your home brewed beer to the supermarket discount stuff.  Same idea here.  You can buy quality green coffee beans grown in whatever part of the world you wish to partake of.  This stuff is still green so is not stale like virtually ALL the stuff available in stores and coffee shops INCLUDING the "premium" coffee from you know where.

Roasting?  Easy.  Go to Goodwill, Salvation Army or Value Village.  Buy a hot air popcorn popper, $10 maybe.  Open windows and roast.  Want to add a custom flavoring?  No problem.

Grinding?  Well, a burr grinder IS best, but a cheap blade grinder can be used if you're attentive.

Then you just brew it up.  GREAT stuff and it will really demonstrate the value of freshly roasted beans vs. the commodity we all THINK is real coffee. 

More: check out sweetmarias on the net.

It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum!

Offline bonanza50

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2008, 02:01:10 PM »

Just an update, due to Levi's crap sleeping habits I am now back on the real juice...not more decaf for me, I can now function before midday!  :D :D :D :D

JDBH,

I'd give up my left nut before going de-cafe. You have made a wise move young women.

B.

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2008, 09:52:05 PM »
In Seattle, is there a Starbucks on every single street corner? Do they have Gloria Jeans in Seattle at all?

Here in Seattle, I do remember seeing one Gloria Jeans in the early 90's at the Westlake Center Mall downtown.

As for the Starbucks on every corner, I know of two malls that have two Starbucks in them as well as a Barnes and Noble Cafe serving Starbucks Coffee.

I know that along Pine Street in Downtown Seattle, there are 4 Starbucks stores in a 4 block radius.  But in suburban Kent, there was one strip mall that had a regular Starbucks and a Albertsons with a Starbucks inside of it.  Then across the street there was another regular Starbucks and a Safeway with the Starbucks.

So yes,  Seattle has quite a few places with high concentrations of the chain.

Offline bonanza50

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2008, 06:58:40 AM »
The quality of Starbucks coffee has really suffered since they became McCoffee. I buy there coffee becasue it's everywhere, but don't rate it very high.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2008, 08:04:00 AM »

I was just on the SweetMaria website and it looks interesting. They're out here in Oakland....might have to check it out.
Do you roast & brew exclusively everyday or is it a "once in a while" thing?
I make a pot of coffee a day for me & The Lovely Mrs. Schro.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #158 on: February 07, 2008, 08:55:03 AM »
I need some coffee right now! Cya!
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #159 on: February 07, 2008, 09:58:43 AM »
Wow.  A whole thread and NO ONE mentioned that the BEST coffee is ...

Now, dammit don't turn away like that!  Compare your home brewed beer to the supermarket discount stuff.  Same idea here.  You can buy quality green coffee beans grown in whatever part of the world you wish to partake of.  This stuff is still green so is not stale like virtually ALL the stuff available in stores and coffee shops INCLUDING the "premium" coffee from you know where.

Roasting?  Easy.  Go to Goodwill, Salvation Army or Value Village.  Buy a hot air popcorn popper, $10 maybe.  Open windows and roast.  Want to add a custom flavoring?  No problem.

Grinding?  Well, a burr grinder IS best, but a cheap blade grinder can be used if you're attentive.

Then you just brew it up.  GREAT stuff and it will really demonstrate the value of freshly roasted beans vs. the commodity we all THINK is real coffee. 

I checked out that website and want to try roasting ...   What kind of air popper do you use?  They mention a few specific kinds but they're very old models.  Not crazy about the idea of getting something like that used.  I might be willing to invest in one the good roasters, but want to try it out first.
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein