Author Topic: Hi, new SBG and shaved head in general  (Read 4039 times)

Offline JohnRa

• Sly Jr.
Hi, new SBG and shaved head in general
« on: March 14, 2018, 01:29:19 PM »
Hi,

Just thought I'd pop on and say hey. I've been balding since my early 20s and just recently made the decision to go completely shaved.

I've gotten some mixed reactions, but mostly positive. I kept it quite short normally anyway, usually a #2 blade all over.

I've tried several moisturizers. My wife gave me a jug of cetaphil which feels kind of sticky after putting it on. I also bought a small tube of Jack Black Double Duty moisturizer, and I like how it goes on and feels after, but I hate the price. Any suggestions out there? I don't like really smelly things in general.

I'm a software developer by trade.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Hi, new SBG and shaved head in general
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 03:06:19 PM »
Hi,

Just thought I'd pop on and say hey. I've been balding since my early 20s and just recently made the decision to go completely shaved.

I've gotten some mixed reactions, but mostly positive. I kept it quite short normally anyway, usually a #2 blade all over.

I've tried several moisturizers. My wife gave me a jug of cetaphil which feels kind of sticky after putting it on. I also bought a small tube of Jack Black Double Duty moisturizer, and I like how it goes on and feels after, but I hate the price. Any suggestions out there? I don't like really smelly things in general.

Congrats on the big step. It looks great and natural. You and your friends will get used to the new look before long.

One suggestion, try adding a tightly cropped stubble beard for overall balance.

Mine also fell out early 20s, so I know what the transition was like.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 07:52:22 PM »
Welcome and congrats on taking the last step.  Looking good - personally I prefer a beard rather than goatee but that is just my choice.
Had to go to the doctor today at a clinic and all four men waiting had shaved heads but only one had a beard as well. 
Roger

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 09:38:49 PM »
Welcome to the group...looks good and suits you well.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 06:11:54 AM »
Welcome to the club!  Your new look suits you. Don't worry about negative comments - if you like it, that's all that matters.

As for moisturizers, try either Nivea Post-shave Balm or Dove Men + Care after-shave moisturizer (hydrate).  Both are non-sticky, available at Walgreens and CVS and are reasonably priced.

Offline JohnRa

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 08:02:43 AM »
Thanks for the welcome! I'm going to play with the goatee lengths and see what works best. Trying to get used to the head first!  :) It's only been about 2 weeks now. I haven't thought about a full beard, but that may be an option as well.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 11:56:51 AM »
Hi John, a shaved head looks good on you! People will soon be used to your new haircut. Might take you longer to adapt. I've been shaving my head for nearly 5 years, and there are still times I look in the mirror are think, I can't believe I have a shaved bald head!

I prefer a longer goatee, makes a big difference in my face. Good luck, and enjoy being a baldie.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 12:18:10 PM »
Hi,

Greetings John Ra; welcome to the group! Cool dome you got there! I actually thought you were BBC (Bald By Choice). It's good to know you've received mostly positive reviews. Screw the negative reviewers, if they don't like it they don't have to look. The bottom line is you're living your life on your own terms not theirs. All that matters is you're satisfied with how you look.

Offline KingofSiam

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 06:18:42 PM »
Hi and Welcome. I usually use a dime sized amount of baby oil or skin moisturizer for men from bed bath and beyond, given to me by my wife, and it does the job.

Enter your email address: