Author Topic: Advice on smooth shave first time.  (Read 10520 times)

Offline Caroline

• Learning the way of Sly
Advice on smooth shave first time.
« on: February 25, 2018, 09:40:23 AM »
Hey everyone.

3 months ago I cut my hair really short, and after one month I cut it even shorter. Everything done at the salon.

Now I want to go all the way and have a smooth head. Do you call it shaved dome?

I read the post about clippers and wonder if I should buy the .Wahl Balding Clipper. Do I also need to use a razor afterwards?

Not sure if it should be done at the salon the first time, or that my boyfriend will do it.

But first of all I need the right equipment. What is best and safest to use?

I'm an african woman so my hair is very thick.

Hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
Re: Advice on smooth shave first time.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 08:14:06 PM »
Hi Caroline,

I think a buzzcut or shaved head looks great on a woman. The wahl balding clipper takes the hair down almost clean. You have to be careful using it. I recommend shaving with the grain with it. Going against the grain the blade's teeth can cut the skin. You have to buzz the hair cautiously. I've used the baling clipper and I have used an Andis Headliner which does a great job. I'm not sure how effective it is with courser hair. I bought the clippers at a barber supply store. A barber would be able to make a recommendation too. I didn't clipper shave my head for that long maybe a couple months and I went to using a razor because I wanted a completely smooth head and no stubble. I actually think shaving with a razor is a lot easier than using clippers. It's easier, you can rely on just feeling the head to make sure you didn't miss any spots and if you shave in the shower there is no cleanup. And it's faster.

Clipper shaving is messier. I would do it two or three times a week and there would be hair to clean up. Using clippers takes long as you need to rely on a mirror to make sure your buzz is even.

Regardless both are great ways to shave your head. Other options would be a foil shaker or just a norelco too. For the shavers, you would need to use it frequently.

Good luck on your shave journey. Let us know what you do.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 07:22:47 AM »
Thanks for your answer Razorhead.

Then I think I will let the barber do it the first time, and maybe start doing it with razors later. If I will be happy with being completely smooth.....

Its kind of scary...

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 12:18:40 PM »
Hey @Caroline!  Welcome to SBG!!

Use clippers to get it down short. Then you can use a razor with shaving cream to get it completely smooth. My suggestion is to wait a day after using the clippers to do the smooth shave to avoid irritating your head too much.

When you shave smooth make sure you use a new razor and a good shaving cream or shaving oil. Like @Razorhead said, shave with the grain to avoid ingrown hairs.

Let us know if you have any more questions.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 02:00:24 PM »
Thank you Tyler.

I'm very thankfull to your advise and help.

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
  • Feckin' little baldy eejit!
    • My blog: Raiméis
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 01:01:35 PM »
Good advice from the guys above.
My advice would be to get the hair nice and wet and soft, use a 5 blade razor, good quality shave gel and take it slow, use short strokes. I shave against the grain often but starting out I agree with the guys, go with the grain.
Hope you post a pic afterwards 🙂

Offline Caroline

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 03:54:37 AM »
Thank you Blagadan.

I'f I will be happy I will post a picture:-)

Offline Caroline

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 07:13:27 AM »

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 02:47:29 PM »
Hot!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 04:37:43 PM »
Lookin good Caroline   :@`
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 01:14:24 PM »

jsnow123

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 12:20:39 AM »
Thanks for your answer Razorhead.

Then I think I will let the barber do it the first time, and maybe start doing it with razors later. If I will be happy with being completely smooth.....

Its kind of scary...
Maxbet MobileMaxbet มือถือ
Very useful info particularly the last part. I was seeking this certain information for a very long time. It is a very good article. Very helpful I'm having a problem with this. Thank you and best of luck.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 01:17:42 PM »

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 10:52:01 AM »

Offline gutsygirl

• Surviving Chronic Illness with a Smile :D
  • Sly
  • Gutsy is as Gutsy does!
    • Naturally Gutsy - surviving gastrointestinal illness with a smile!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 10:06:48 AM »
@Caroline If you're still interested in maintaining sly, I highly recommend the Remington Self Cut Pro.

https://www.amazon.com/Remington-HC4250-Shortcut-Self-Haircut-Clippers/dp/B014SG66UO?th=1

I'm saying this because I used the Whal balding clippers and they were too heavy, bulky, awkward, and aggressive...and I was always afraid that I'd cut myself badly if I mis-adjusted the blades after cleaning it! The Remington has a great curve to it and it fits in your hand with no cords to mess with. It's light-weight and you can wash out the blade assembly with absolutely no adjustments required! Oh how I love it!! I don't use the guards...I just take it all the way down in one pass. Then, if I desire, I shave to BBS with my razor. It's made my routine so much more enjoyable and less messy too. I can use the Remington plus get a BBS shave and a shower within 25 minutes - and I'm physically disabled!

Hope this helps!
CRPSablaze.wordpress.com, NaturallyGutsy.com