Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 3445 times)

Offline ojm84

• Learning the way of Sly
Hello!
« on: January 03, 2018, 10:55:03 PM »
Morning/Afternoon/Evening Gents (Depending on your timezone).

So I've been lurking from time to time here and thought I'd crack on register.

I'm 34 and finally accepted the onset of my hair loss about a month or two ago. I started with clippers with the closest possible setting then got cheesed with the flaff of doing it once a week and grabbing power cords out the cupboard etc.

Anyway, in the last month I decided to take steps to go further - I purchased a Philips oneblade for my face and found others had used it on their head so I gave it a go. Its working fine without too much difference between the clippers. The plan was to try for an upside-down head, sadly my follicle challenges are not restricted to my head - the beard growth is patchy on the sides and a bit rubbish so I've given up and gone for a goatie.

Question is - do I take the next step and take a blade to the noggin' to get that sly look? I've read a lot about the HB V a fusion etc, Has anyone gone with the oneblade (or something similar) and then gone to a razor is there much difference? I live in the UK so my head is pretty white, on the account of the sun not being discovered yet. The extended family is less then impressed and I am stomaching a lot of bald jokes from my brothers and outright insults from my father currently - he's calling me a convict. I feel more confident with it cut close then with it buzzed but I'm also acutely aware that it is a big shining dome! Thoughts, encouragement appreciated!

Cheers
Oli

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 01:41:07 AM »
HI Oli @ojm84
The key part of your message was  "I feel more confident with it cut close then with it buzzed"  that is the important thing, what you think and how you feel. 
Other people feel they have to say something, to start off with, but that soon goes away as it will be old news for them soon enough.  There is a period of adjustment and that applied to you and to them, hence you mention 'a big shining dome'  i suspect it looks great and is neither big nor particularly shining (as there is no sun to shine off it!) but it does look different to how you were before.  This is the reason the site suggests 30 days to get used to the new look. 
I am afraid that I cant help you with the one blade question, I just shower shave with a safety razor.   

Dont be put off, if you are happy and like it, stick with it.
Post a picture when you have a chance.

Offline ojm84

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 02:37:29 AM »
Thanks @Dragon. So photos attached, One in the chequered shirt is today after using the one blade, the other "bald one" would have been with clippers and then there is the "I've had no sleep but I still have hair photo"...!

Obviously taking into account my lack inability to be photogenic and various lengths of facial hair!

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 03:56:43 AM »
Thanks @Dragon. So photos attached, One in the chequered shirt is today after using the one blade, the other "bald one" would have been with clippers and then there is the "I've had no sleep but I still have hair photo"...!

Obviously taking into account my lack inability to be photogenic and various lengths of facial hair!

Both 'new' pictures look great, what a dramatic improvement. Its just which one you like best that matters.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 05:21:30 AM »
You look great bald.  As been said others need to comment initially but soon the new look is you and you will have greater self confidence. 

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 07:19:08 AM »
You look much better shaved . Just give yourself and others a chance to get used to the different look. Within a short time the lighter color will tend to match the face .  Most of us got some bad remarks after shaving , but this will soon pass.  After awhile you will walk around and own the new look. If you don’t shave , you will soon have the proverbial toilet seat look , the thinning on top was quit noticeable .  Welcome to SBG .

I also think you look younger with the shaved head.   O0
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:23:03 AM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 02:09:03 PM »

Don't take this the wrong way. . . but you look SO much better now. Stronger and healthier. Most guys look okay bald, some not so much. YOU look very good. Your days worrying about hair loss are OVER, mate.

Both 'new' pictures look great, what a dramatic improvement. Its just which one you like best that matters.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 05:08:46 PM »
Excellent improvement.
Roger

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 09:36:59 PM »
Looks great! Welcome.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 10:58:49 AM »
Welcome.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Enter your email address: