Author Topic: Alopecia  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Baby Bruce

• Learning the way of Sly
Alopecia
« on: December 28, 2017, 12:18:16 AM »
Gentlemen,

Did someone say you have a bald spot on the back of your head closer to your neck? Did you notice a few more bald spots on the front of your head or around the sides? Yea, me too and it’s no fun. Treatment is no picnic either. I am here for support to my bald brothers if it’s an issue you are having to cope with. Lord knows it was for me.. at first.

Here is my story:

When I was 16 someone I knew said my hair looked like it was thinning. Went and saw a dermatologist who recommended Propecia. It’s designed to help keep the hair you have and/or slow down baldness. It was working great for years. My hair was looking great. It steadily was thinning, but it was definitely not dramatic. I just wasn’t able to use hair products and it would appear to be fuller. Fast forward 18 years..

..April 2016. My buddy noticed a little bald spot on the back of my head by my neck. It started out about the size of a nickel. I thought he was playing around and didn’t pay attention to it. Also, I just took a drug test which was a hair test. I just thought they nicked me with the clippers. Eventually, I had to go see someone about it, because it just wasn’t growing back. As I suspected my dermatologist diagnosed me with Alopecia. I researched extreme cases and was like, I only have one little one, I’m lucky and of course thank God it’s not terminal.

My attitude was spot on, but it wasn’t growing back. My doctor said it could be many months to a year. I just moved to Las Vegas for a job and my insurance was for Arizona only. My treatment had me drive back so my doctor can inject steroids in my bald spot. I was cool with that, until it started getting bigger. And this is not in a tradition spot to be going bald. It looked like total sh*t. At this point I’m starting to get pretty aggravated. It’s a perfect circle on the back of my head piece and it’s now about as big as a baseball. I said cool ok I’ll keep treating it, but I’m shaving my neck and sides and sporting a sly fade. It’s basically my same haircut just a lot closer. Still driving back to Arizona every month to get the injections. I’m prertty tough, but they hurt like hell on that spot. Some hair is growing back and it’s cool to see my family because they are all there. After a few months my doctor added some topical stuff to put on twice a day in addition to rogain and everything else. Results were so slow, but I did see some positive results. Hope was alive.

I juggled three different barbers I was pretty set. It got so expensive though. People started noticing it even more since my hair was growing back from my hair cuts fast but still bald in that one spot aside from a little bit of hair growing back in its direct middle. Still looked like sh*t. I started going 2 even three times a week to get shaved up so it looked better. It was wearing down my pockets significantly.

I tried to negotiate with my barbers to get a weekly price. All I wanted was to come in every day I worked which is four times a week. One regular hair cut and three clean ups. I wasn’t worried about my days off because I have some hats I could sport. I was disturbed by the barbers charges. One wanted 75 bucks, the other wanted 60. I make pretty decent cash weekly, but no way was I doing that. That’s insane, I’m not paying 240-300 bucks. No I am not.

I’m pretty devastated at this point. I stood up tall and said f**k you greedy barbers, f**k you doctors (Out of frustration I got a second opinion from a second doctor) and lathered up my head and took a razor to my head. Guys, I liberated myself. I felt so much better. I’m sporting my sly bald head. I ripped the band aid off man. I go into work, I go out, I’m just letting it fly and I love the look. I do wear hats too, because it’s cold as sh*t outside. My point is  I didn’t know what I was so afraid of. So if your going bald or have alopecia and vain like me it’s not the end of the world . They say it’s gonna grow back, but at this point I don’t even care. I’m just gonna be me. I’m single and I refuse to let this stop me. I’m putting my best foot forward and still going for it. Women, promotions, whatever I desire.

I’ll tell you like I told my self a million times:” whether I have hair or I’m bald, happiness looks good on me”. Stand fast my brothers. The time is now!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Alopecia
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 02:08:14 AM »
It looks great on you, man! Welcome, and thanks for sharing your story
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 08:51:26 AM »
You have the right attitude, much better than crying over things you can’t change . But not everyone can make this adjustment, yours is the better way .
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 09:10:31 AM »
Great attitude and you wear it well. Luckily, for so many men, a shaved head has become just another hairstyle. Shaved heads are widely accepted, and constantly becoming more popular. I have noticed that in one of the most conservative environments, Washington D.C., shaved heads are everywhere. And I don't think sporting a bald head will go out of style, once you get used to it, shaving becomes almost addictive.

I also read where men are balding at a younger age. I expect to see our numbers growing in the future.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Enter your email address: