Author Topic: About to go sly - advice needed  (Read 3195 times)

Offline Marcus759

• Learning the way of Sly
About to go sly - advice needed
« on: January 10, 2018, 08:11:15 PM »
Hey guys,

I am 25 and have realized over the last couple of years that I have to either buzz to a 0 or go sly. I found this forum over the holidays and it has been great reading posts from people that is in or has gone through the same situation. As you can see from my pictures, the thinning is quite severe and I feel at this point even though I am worried about not liking the sly-look/the response from others, I sure don't like the way it is now. Also been motivated by other posts on here where people have posed the question 'how often do you get compliments for your thinning hair?' which I think is a great way of framing it.

Having said that, I have 2 concerns:

1. I will be going abroad soon and be away for 4 months. While I thought this would be a great opportunity to finally shave my head and having a fresh start I am also concerned if it will impact my focus. Being in a completely new situation and getting settled in together with adjusting to a completely new hairstyle. I will definitely commit to the 30 day rule but would appreciate advice from people who has gone through the same situation. My hope is that I will feel relieved and it will be a burden lifted off my shoulders rather than something that will take my focus once its done.

2. One reason for me shaving my head is being able to protect it. I realized last summer that being out in the sun with thinning hair is a recipe for disaster. I will be moving to a warmer climate and now its been a while since I was exposed directly to the sun. What do I have to consider being out in the sun essentially the day after shaving it? What SPF should I use? Any advice would help.

Thanks for reading

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
Re: About to go sly - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 01:09:39 AM »
@Marcus759 one thing less to think about if you shave it! The people where you are moving to will not know you anyother way so they will not question your hair style.  This means will have even less reason to worry about what anyone else thinks and this should allow you greater focus. 
Sunscreen is much easier when sly than when you have hair, i would say go with SPF 50

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 06:50:03 AM »
Welcome @Marcus759

I agree with @Dragon that you will enjoy the sly style.  Definitely use sunscreen when outdoors, SPF50.  I have a darker complexion than you, and my scalp can tolerate a max of one hour in the sun before burning.  So I suggest you do not go out without it.

It looks like you have some very good facial hair - I suggest you grow your beard out, it will look great with a smooth head.
SlyBeard

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 08:14:28 AM »
In the summer I recommend a wide brim hat. I’ve had skin cancer , and I don’t completely trust sun blocks. I do not like the chemicals used nor do they give complete protection. Just my opinion .
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline underorbit

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 09:30:15 AM »
You're gonna look bad-ass.

I think shaving it off entirely is going to be better than a 0, but that's up to you.

I'm new to this myself, since November, so I haven't experienced a sly summer just yet, but I will say this: you'll need to keep it moisturized anyway, so maybe pick up a moisturizer with sunscreen already in it. I've seen up to SPF 50 in stores. I find that I also look better in a baseball cap without the wisps of my fine, thin, unruly hair sticking out the sides like a bale of hay, and I don't get hat hair when the hat comes off anymore, either. I live in Colorado so I'm gonna need all the sun protection I can get this summer; if you find something that works really well for you, please share it with us all!

As far as adjusting to it, well, you're already going to be adjusting to a new situation, so why not add this to the pile? Personally, I've found it to be extremely relaxing. Putting a sharp steel razor blade up to one's scalp without hacking it to shreds requires calm and focus. I shave my head every morning, and I recently switched from doing it over the sink to doing it in the shower (I use an electric shaver if I'm not in my own bathroom at home), and I swear it's almost like meditation. Maybe that'll help you acclimate to your new surroundings, too.

Good luck, welcome to the forum, and post "after" pictures once you do it!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 10:49:30 AM »
First, welcome!  Second, Dragon is right - if you are moving to a new place where no one knows you, you do not have to worry about questions bout why you shaved your head.  I don't think it will add to the stress of being in a new place - in fact you won't have to find a barber, so that one less thing to worry about!

Sun protection is very important.  You can get a burn quickly even in cooler weather.  At a minimum, use and SPF 30.  You can find moisturizers that come with SPF 30 fairly easily.  Wearing a cap is also a good idea, but remember to still use sunscreen since the cap will not fully cover the back of your head.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 04:22:48 PM »
Welcome, Marcus
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 09:29:27 PM »
Go for it.  The beard has started well.  Watch out for that Swedish sun.
Roger

Enter your email address: