Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 7609 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
What are you reading?
« on: October 30, 2017, 01:32:46 PM »
What are you reading or listening to right now? I say listening to because I usually listen to audio books instead of read the actual book.

I just got done listening to Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance. I highly recommend it.

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline coolbro1998

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Lose your hair, not your balls.
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 02:32:21 PM »

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 03:47:02 PM »
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 07:50:03 PM by Tyler »
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 09:33:51 PM »
A biography,  Carl Sagan A Life .
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:42:56 PM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline TheodorusRex

• Sly Jr.
  • Each moment is a place you've never been before.
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 06:12:52 AM »

Here is a youtube review I did of Bruce Springsteen's latest bio...  Currently reading "What it is like to go to War" by Karl Marlantes - who spent a good bit of time in Vietnam.   Wow - its riveting...!   

I've got other reviews from some of the non-fiction I've been reading lately on youtube. 

Started shaving November 25th, 2016

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 08:57:32 AM »
I'm reading "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan.  He goes into how the American "Western Diet" has been completely corrupted by food science and "nutritionism".  Pretty interesting. 

Also recently finished "The Trespasser" by Tana French.  She has written six mysteries all which take place in Ireland and are investigated by members of the Dublin Murder Squad (a fictitious part of the police).  I've read all six and they are all good.  Each one is told in first person and the narrator is a character from the previous book.

Offline tbelot

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 12:52:54 PM »
The Moral Case for Fossil Fuels by Alex Epstein.  It's a contrarian view on how fossil fuels have improved the planet rather than destroying it.  Very compelling.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 02:53:22 PM »
I am about halfway through the 13th volume in a series called "Arisen" on my Kindle. There were also 2 prequels in the series which I read first. This is a series about the Zombie Apocalypse and the response to it specifically by the military/special operations forces of the world.

This is the one I'm reading now. Extremely enjoyable series.

https://www.amazon.com/ARISEN-Thirteen-Michael-Stephen-Fuchs-ebook/dp/B076DJ8HJ7/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1509483128&sr=1-1&keywords=arisen+series
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 04:31:45 PM »
"Killing England: The Brutal Struggle for American Independence" by Bill O'Reilly
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 09:46:20 AM »
"Killing England: The Brutal Struggle for American Independence" by Bill O'Reilly

Just wondering how Bill O’ Reilly found the time to right all his many books?  Or does he use a gost writer?
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 10:01:18 AM »
@TheodorusRex great reviews!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 11:15:35 AM »
I’m currently reading Men Without Women bu Haruki Murakami. His work is kind of offbeat but well written.
Hair is over rated.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 04:37:26 PM »

Just wondering how Bill O’ Reilly found the time to right all his many books?  Or does he use a gost writer?
I believe he has some researchers for assistance... So yes, he has a ghost writer!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline flawness01

• Learning the way of Sly
  • life is beautiful<3
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 10:28:37 AM »
actually? twilight for the third time  :*))

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 11:00:37 PM »
Recently discovered author CJ Box a series set mainly in Wyoming.  The wild country sounds wonderful to an Aussie and I would love to see it but far too many guns for my liking.  Australians don't ''do' guns.
Roger