Discussions About Being Bald > To be or not be...Bald

Hair Transplants and Hair Pieces (Toupees)

<< < (2/8) > >>

Dragon:
Thanks for posting your story ngasportsfan, the scar is almost invisible in the photo.  I have a crease on the back of my head that stands out more.  Great dome, great look.

Sir Harry:
Welcome,  ngasportsfan!

Thanks for coming out of the lurker status and sharing your story with us. You look great as a sly guy and the stubble beard blends in well. Looks like your scars are more of the punch hole variety than the strip scar. Looks like the Mederma or whatever you were doing is doing a nice job of minimizing the scars. But if you're just OCD about the scar, here are a couple of suggestions:

You can invest in some Dermablend concealer. I bought a tube at Macy's for about $35 in December 2015 and I still have half the tube left. You only need a small amount which you can apply with a Q-tip

Another option, although slightly more expensive,  would be to get a scalp micropigmentation job over the scar area. Some dermatologists may be able to do this procedure. What this does is like a tattoo to simulate a hair follicle. They can adjust the ink so it can blend the scar area in with your natural skin. If you go this route and you only want the scar area done (some people get their entire balding area done, but that's up to the individual ), you need to emphasize that to the practitioner. Again thanks for sharing and keep us posted.  Feel free to ask questions and PM one of us if needed!

slybeard:
Welcome,  ngasportsfan, thank for sharing your story.  I know you said that depending on the angle it look worse than the photo, and I understand how you feel about it.

I see guys all the time with shaved heads with scars from various past injuries or surgeries.  When I see your photo, I just see slight scaring and and it doesn't occur to me that is is a HST scar, it is just a scar.  I know this likely doesn't help how you feel about it, but guys on the street do not necessarily see the same thing you see in the mirror or in photos.

ngasportsfan:
Thanks for all the replies.  I do try to tell myself that most people don't even notice it.  It's just a crazy thing how it bothers me.  I might try that Dermablend.  How easy does it come off?  I'm a naturally oily headed person, and without hair, it gets really oily so I normally wipe down a couple times a day.

I have another question, also.  Sometimes, after shaving, I will have red "pimple looking" dots.  They go away after about 30 minutes.  It doesn't happen all the time, and it doesn't matter if it's a new razor or older one.  Before I go to bed at night, I clean my head with Witch Hazel and doctor the donor scars, so my head is always clean before lying down.  Are these red dots common?  What could be causing it?  I've had razor rash on my face before, and it doesn't look anything like that.  It's almost looks like ingrown hairs, but if it dissapears after 30 minutes, it can't be that.

Sir Harry:

--- Quote from: ngasportsfan on January 12, 2017, 09:00:16 AM ---Thanks for all the replies.  I do try to tell myself that most people don't even notice it.  It's just a crazy thing how it bothers me.  I might try that Dermablend.  How easy does it come off?  I'm a naturally oily headed person, and without hair, it gets really oily so I normally wipe down a couple times a day.

I have another question, also.  Sometimes, after shaving, I will have red "pimple looking" dots.  They go away after about 30 minutes.  It doesn't happen all the time, and it doesn't matter if it's a new razor or older one.  Before I go to bed at night, I clean my head with Witch Hazel and doctor the donor scars, so my head is always clean before lying down.  Are these red dots common?  What could be causing it?  I've had razor rash on my face before, and it doesn't look anything like that.  It's almost looks like ingrown hairs, but if it dissapears after 30 minutes, it can't be that.

--- End quote ---

Re: Dermablend-barring any excessive sweating, if applied properly, it usually wears off within 24 hours. It washes off fairly easy with a towel and water; my suggestion would be to find an old bath/face towel that no one hardly uses anymore and keep that for yourself and yourself only. The key is to apply it over the area lightly, I suggest a Q-tip or a small makeup brush (maybe your wife can help you with applying it)

As far as the pimples that go away within 30 minutes....I'm not so sure about that one, I would say it had something to do with the aggravated skin from your HT, but I'm guessing it's been at least two decades since your last one, so all I can suggest is to add an ice cube rub/cold water rinse to your routine

I'm going to shoot a couple of links to you. Here is a story from a member who's essentially dealing with the exact same thing you are
www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=26647.0

And, just for some backup, here's a link to my scars and my story
www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=26367.0

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version