Author Topic: New guy with a few questions  (Read 5424 times)

Offline trei

• Learning the way of Sly
New guy with a few questions
« on: July 05, 2016, 08:59:02 AM »
Hey guys, I was just doing some googling and I found this forum, seems pretty sweet!  I've been balding since I was 18, I'm 29 now.

I've been shaving my head with my clippers for the past 2 months without a guard and I've been thinking about going straight to the skin.  I really like shorter hair and I think I look decent with it.

I have a quick question though, I've noticed these 2 spots on my scalp the seem to flake 24/7.  I've been showering with Head and Shoulders for years but I've always had a bit of dandruff.  However, now that I'm down to the skin, these spots are very visible. 

I'm not too conscious about things like this (balding at 18 will do that), however, I have a job interview tomorrow and I'd like to do what I can to clear it up.  Would I be able to shave my head tonight and moisturize it and expect these spots to clear up a bit by tomorrow afternoon?

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Re: New guy with a few questions
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 09:36:10 AM »
Welcome to the board, Trei.

A lot of guys have reported that shaving relieves or eliminates that flaking. I have found that exfoliating my scalp also cuts down on that kind of thing. I take a small handful of plain kosher salt each morning and scrub my scalp with it. It has gotten rid of the rough patches and actually helps me get s close shave. It also is incredibly cheap.

Good fortune on your interview!
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline trei

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 12:36:32 PM »

It almost looks like I have a dark spot on my head under the hair, will that just be a visible dark spot once shaved?

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 04:54:43 PM »
Welcome
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 05:41:47 PM »
Cave Dweller hit the nail on the head. Chronic dandruff was a main reason I decided to go sly four years ago: no hair, no flaking. And exfoliating is a good extra step.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 08:14:22 PM »
Welcome, Trei

The photos look good even with the light shadow. As long as you dress sharp, maintain eye contact and present yourself accordingly, a couple of small spots on your shaved head shouldn't be an issue to a prospective employer. Good luck on the interview.

P.S. Nivea cream is good for moisturizing and minimizing spots (though I don't see any spots)
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 12:20:33 AM »
Hope you made out well on your interview. As for the flakes, when I use clippers at a zero cut I get the flakes also. But with the use of a razor they do not appear.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 01:14:20 PM »
I always had dandruff as well, and ever since a kid, until I razor shaved with a blade.  Never had the the issue since.  The scraping of the scalp with the blade takes care of it, while clipper shaving, even with no guard, will not stop the dandruff.
SlyBeard

Offline trei

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 07:12:14 AM »
Well I went to the barber and paid him $20 for my first shave, and proceeded to crush the interview.

Final interview is 3 hours on Monday.

Absolutely loving the sly look, ordered a Headblade and it will be here on Sat!

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 06:17:06 AM »
Congrats on the first and good luck on the final! I am a firm believer that if you look good you feel good then do good.  Walking into an interview with your chin held high, chest puffed out, smile on your face, firm handshake, and a fresh shiny dome just demands respect.

The headblade is a great tool. I now highly prefer my safety razors however my headblade gets pulled out for fun and for travel.  If you like the headblade and decide to stick with it you can buy cartridges for it either by using the discount banners located around this forum that link directly to headblades page OR do what I do... Buy dorco pace 4 or pace 6 cartridges on bulk and just pop off their adapter and they will fit the standard headblade atx adapter. Great shaves at a fraction of the cost. Don't let this fool you though, headblade is a great company with some of the best customer service.  I support them by occasionally buying headslick, talking up the atx when using it while camping or at a friend/family members house, and highly suggesting all new sly guys start with a headblade.  I just couldn't justify spending $10 for 4 cartridges directly from headblade when I would only get 1-2 shaves per cart (I'm bald by choice with a full head of hair).

Hope I didn't over load you with info lol
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 11:35:43 AM »
Congrats. How did the final interview go?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Enter your email address: