Author Topic: Andis, is it that good?  (Read 6029 times)

Offline plavd

• Sly Jr.
Andis, is it that good?
« on: June 15, 2016, 07:03:54 PM »
I use a Panny ES8243 Arc4 and then I follow up with the Fusion blade to shave my head very close and smooth.

I wish I could shave my head one easy way, but the only way that I know of is with a DE and I'm not going to do that.

I've been using it on my head for a year and love it. It's fast and gives a great headshave. It's time to replace the blades though. Should I stick with it or switch to the Andis and why?

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
Re: Andis, is it that good?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 08:05:38 AM »
Why doesn't your Fusion give you an all in one close head shave? Unless you let your hair grow back out between shaves I don't understand why you need to pre shave your head before you shave your head. Is there a reason you don't want to use a DE for your shave? It takes some practice but is very effective and safe as long as you take your time and pay attention. If you want to be able to lather and zip through a shave in about a minute or two then a DE is not the way to go. I have never used a cartridge razor on my head but there are many on this forum who use them for every head shave, can you explain why you need to trim your hair down before you shave with a cartridge?

Offline plavd

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 11:10:40 AM »
Why doesn't your Fusion give you an all in one close head shave? Unless you let your hair grow back out between shaves I don't understand why you need to pre shave your head before you shave your head. Is there a reason you don't want to use a DE for your shave? It takes some practice but is very effective and safe as long as you take your time and pay attention. If you want to be able to lather and zip through a shave in about a minute or two then a DE is not the way to go. I have never used a cartridge razor on my head but there are many on this forum who use them for every head shave, can you explain why you need to trim your hair down before you shave with a cartridge?
My hair grows back in between so I have to because the Fusion wouldn't do it.

Offline plavd

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 06:55:45 AM »
Since the Andis cannot be cleaned with water, how do you clean the blades and foil? Does it need to be oiled once in a while?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 07:01:53 AM »
Most Andis shavers come with a small bristle brush to clean hair out of it. You have to detach it first. As far as oiling, it depends on how often you use it. If you're the only one using it, I would say about every five uses a few drops of oil should do it. (about three drops)
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline plavd

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 10:35:51 AM »
Most Andis shavers come with a small bristle brush to clean hair out of it. You have to detach it first. As far as oiling, it depends on how often you use it. If you're the only one using it, I would say about every five uses a few drops of oil should do it. (about three drops)
The directions don't mention oil anywhere though. This is the Andis TS-1 I'm referring to. Over time wouldn't the hair start getting clogged up?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 11:41:46 AM »
My bad I thought you were talking about the T-Outliner. In the case of Foli shavers, you would just use a small brush that comes with it, but I don't think you would oil them.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline plavd

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 06:08:44 PM »
My bad I thought you were talking about the T-Outliner. In the case of Foli shavers, you would just use a small brush that comes with it, but I don't think you would oil them.
I just wonder over time if the blades will be less effective. It's almost impossible to get all the hair out of the blades. It still looks dusty if you know what I mean.

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 10:49:42 PM »
Another reason you may want to use a razor of some kind. It doesn't have to be a DE , just a manual non electric razor. I have the Bald Eagle and a Norelco....both can be used for "wet shaving" and I would highly recommend an electric that you can wet shave with as you will get better shaves with them but....what if the blades need replacement or the motor burns out...no problem just replace it/them unless the manufacturer stops making them....one of the main reasons I made the break from an electric to DE shaving, I didn't want to get the perfect shave and then not be able to get replacement parts if they failed. The other issue I had with an electric was the fact that you have to go over and over the same spots so many times to get a close shave that's not ever as close as a razor and that can cause irritation. You usually have to replace the blades of an electric at least every 6 months if not sooner depending on how often you shave. I currently have about 175 blades in my bathroom, I use a fresh blade for every shave, every shave is head and whole face( no beard or mustache ).....I can get at least 175 more shaves before restocking and most guys use blades for more than one shave , an electric can be convenient but sometimes the old ways are just a better option since there is less maintenance and no worries about getting a good shave 6 months down the road without some sort of mechanical failure to stop you...and not being able to get a replacement blade for an electric would count as a mechanical failure in my book. That's just my take on it but the other main reason I moved away from an electric was that I like a BBS shave and an electric won't get me there. Good luck and good shaving. O0

Offline plavd

• Sly Jr.
Andis, is it that good?
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 11:18:56 PM »
Do you just use a DE? Does a DE mow through stubble after 1-2 days? See.... I have to use an electric shaver to reduce the stubble then I use a Fusion blade so it's easier to shave that way.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:06:01 AM by plavd »

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 08:03:48 AM »
Yes I just use a DE razor, and yes it will mow through 2 days growth. You should stick to what works for you if you are happy with the results and most importantly are comfortable doing it, I was just pointing out some of the main reasons I switched from an electric. I've never used a cartridge razor on my head so I never got used to a quick head shave on auto pilot... But shaving with a safety razor is not that big a deal....it's not like taking a straight razor to your head! Now that's hardcore! I would love to say I did it but I'm not that brave.

Offline plavd

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 08:22:04 AM »
Yes I just use a DE razor, and yes it will mow through 2 days growth. You should stick to what works for you if you are happy with the results and most importantly are comfortable doing it, I was just pointing out some of the main reasons I switched from an electric. I've never used a cartridge razor on my head so I never got used to a quick head shave on auto pilot... But shaving with a safety razor is not that big a deal....it's not like taking a straight razor to your head! Now that's hardcore! I would love to say I did it but I'm not that brave.
How long does it take you to head shave with a DE?  What razor do you use that can mow through it so easily? I'm afraid of the DE getting stuck and I could get cut badly.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 10:55:32 AM »
Practice makes for less cuts and even no cuts over time

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 11:19:43 AM »
I use a Merkur 34C. It takes me about 20 minutes a little more. Slow and steady is the way to go,no nicks or cuts if you take your time and pay attention, the sound of the razor will guide you...very little pressure...let the razor do the work. Start with your face first so you can get the hang of a DE since it is easier to see what you are doing, then you can move to head shaves. When you shave with a DE you should start with short strokes, maybe 2 inches at a time....this will prevent you from skipping along or getting "stuck". Again I am not trying to convince you to go to a DE razor but a lot of problems you face with a cartridge razor will be gone...such as the razor getting clogged up all the time and the pulling of hair/tugging at your skin that you are probably already familiar with if you try to shave any growth longer than a day or two. Like anything it takes practice but if it was so hard there wouldn't be so many people that shave this way, face or head. Do what you are comfortable with, if you are thinking about DE shaving start by doing your face only for a while, once you get comfortable with that try doing your head...or part of it...do the rest with your cart razor until you get the feel for it. There are some great videos on Youtube that will show you how to DE shave your head if you decide to go that route. Shaving your head should be enjoyable so don't do anything you don't feel comfortable with.  O0

Enter your email address: