Author Topic: Bald or buzz?  (Read 7504 times)

Offline Imperator

• Learning the way of Sly
Bald or buzz?
« on: May 15, 2016, 01:08:51 PM »

Hi there,

So my hair has been thinning since I was roughly 18 (noticeable from about the age of 20). I'm now 22/turning 23 and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to do something (see images). I'm really not keen on taking any medication or getting a transplant. So the question is, bald or buzz?

(I don't have a preference personally, I'm quite grateful that I can grow a decent beard at my age & still have some sort of hairline/thinning is pretty evenly spread. I do work in the city though, so a full-on beard is a no-go.)

Thanks!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Bald or buzz?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 03:00:52 PM »
Welcome!

I can see some slight thinning, but the short haircut in your photos looked good to me, unless you're that concerned. If you opt to shave, and don't like it, you will have a short no-guard look in a couple of weeks. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 04:05:42 PM »
You have a good coverage in the photos, if you are not ready to buzz or shave you look fine.  However if you do want to I would suggest buzzing first as you can always shave after you have buzzed.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 07:12:48 PM »
Your hair is pretty short already, and the thinning is bothering you, sounds like your thinking of shaving it. Most of us here will tell you it is an awesome feel to have a smooth head. Nowadays, having a shaved head is just another hairstyle.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 08:30:21 PM »
I think that, although you may have some thinning, you might benefit from a short buzz.  Shaving is certainly fun, but no need to shave at this point.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 09:43:48 PM »
Try both. Buzz your hair as short as you feel comfortable with.  If you then feel like shaving, go for it. If not, wait until some other time. 

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 12:00:02 AM »
I think you would look great either way. But its really not that bad yet. You could do a nice short buzz for now, and then shave if you think you want to go further, or if/when the thinning gets to a point where u are no longer comfortable with simply being buzzed.
Bald by chioce, never going back

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 05:50:24 AM »
i would go to short buzz for now and shave later when hair loss becomes greater.  You look fine with short hair and likely with none.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 01:54:45 PM »
You still have choices, so it is really up to you.  I choose to take action when I noticed thinning, but others still did not notice.  You have time, just no one can tell you how much time.  So I suggest sticking to a short buzz for now, you will have plenty of time for shaving later.  But I do also suggest shaving before it becomes obvious to everyone and not have to deal with it.  But you have to make that decision.
SlyBeard

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 04:15:07 PM »
Either would look good!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 04:35:10 PM »
Keep it buzzed as you have it and just go shorter, shorter as more thinning takes place.  By that time, nobody will really notice the balding as they perceive you as "bald" already.  Then ... go for the razored smooth look and enjoy !

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 11:56:10 PM »
You still have enough hair that you do not "have to" do either.  But it sounds to me like you would like to try them both out.  So I agree with the others who suggest that you try successively shorter buzz cuts just to see what they look like on you.

But then you should try the full shave - and keep it for at least 30 days - and then make up your mind.

You will look really good with a clean shaven head.  You will love the way it feels.  And I don't think that you you should grow any facial hair with it.  You have nice clear, dark, skin - show it off!

Offline Imperator

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 12:46:41 PM »
Thank you for all the replies everybody! I'll be off on holiday soon, will probably buzz it short then to see how it looks

Offline Johannes

• Sly
  • Straight Razor Shaver
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 02:32:25 AM »
Try a clipper shave
Nothing better than one sharp blade

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 05:51:58 AM »
I agree with Razor X - you should try both: Zero buzz & then shaved....stick with what you prefer.

All the best whatever you decide.
BaldBill