Author Topic: First time sly - have questions  (Read 4129 times)

Offline StatGuy

• Learning the way of Sly
  • Newly Sly
First time sly - have questions
« on: July 13, 2016, 06:42:51 AM »
Shaved my head a little over a week ago and have shaved my head three times since, last time with a head blade and did some ATG, particularly in back.  I have scalp redness that runs in line from the back of my head towards the crown on the sides.  It is not sore at all, but the discoloration is making me rethink the whole thing.  I plan to take a few days off in hopes the redness goes away. I like the look and not having to worry about what my hair looks like.  Has anyone else had this?  Is it from going against the grain, using a razor with too many blades, etc.?

Here is maybe a better picture it is like a ring that starts in the back and runs along the right side and to a lesser degree the left as well.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 07:59:01 AM by StatGuy »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: First time sly - have questions
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 07:18:24 AM »
Maybe it's just my eyes but I can't see what you're referring to.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 07:50:44 AM »
Welcome to the board, Statguy.

In all seriousness, I had to stare at the picture for a while in order to make out what the ring might be that concerns you. I seriously doubt that if anyone even noticed something like that, they would give it a second glance. It is nothing about which you should be worried.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 08:20:24 AM »
I agree with the others,  if you really look hard you can see something, but its not noticable. To back this up if you look at your avatar there is no line to be seen.  Overall the look is great, stick with it for 30 days, then decide. 

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 09:13:04 AM »
Welcome, Stat Guy!

That redness you're referring to is probably the shadow from your hair. If you have MPB, many times when you shave sly, the ring around the back of the head will show. I think your scalp is just adjusting to being shaved and in a matter of weeks it won't be so bad. Stick with it for 30 days and see what happens.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline 4fit

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 09:24:23 AM »
Sorry you are having some issue. They will most likely clear in short order. In the mean time take solace in the fact that you look fantastic! Oh and welcome to the group man!

Offline StatGuy

• Learning the way of Sly
  • Newly Sly
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 09:28:05 AM »
It has gotten better since the day I last shaved (2 days ago).  I don't have classic MPB, I definitely have hair on top of my head but it is rather thin.  Definitely have a lot of stubble right now and would like to shave but I don't want to irritate it again.  How often should I be shaving at first?  I plan to give it another day to calm down a bit before I shave again and will probably try to make sure I don't go ATG much.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, just trying to get confident with the new look.  My wife definitely does not care for it, but perhaps she will come around.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 10:58:07 AM »
I had similar issues when I first shaved. Two suggestions, if you think it is razor burn, try Bump Patrol, you can get it at Wal-Mart. Another thing that worked for me, try shaving with an electric shaver until the issue clears up. I have found with razors, the fewer blades the less irritation. It took my head 2 or 3 weeks to get used to shaving. Once you get some color from the sun, things with be less noticeable.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 12:01:37 PM »
In addition to what reddog said, try rubbing your head with an ice cube after shaving.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 02:41:26 PM »
Looks really good.  The irritation should go away after a couple of weeks - don't shave too often at first as your scalp adjusts.
My wife was not impressed when I  first shaved but she did not take long to come on board. 
Roger

Enter your email address: