Author Topic: Hair Growth Inhibitors?  (Read 4514 times)

Offline MisterBurnz

• Learning the way of Sly
Hair Growth Inhibitors?
« on: February 10, 2013, 11:33:23 PM »
Hey guys, looking for some advice here. I've been an avid noggin trimmer for a few years now. But it's getting to be fairly cumbersome to try to time my shaves so i don't get horrible velcro head while i'm out and about. So i found this article about hair growth inhibitors, wondering if anyone has tried any or has any info on em.

Shine on Sly Guys.

Offline Kevin G

• Sly Jr.
Re: Hair Growth Inhibitors?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 02:08:06 AM »
I have found that Aveeno's Positively Smooth Shaving Gel actually does slow down the hair growth.(and it is a great shave gel).  Just after using it two times my hair seemed to grow back slower.  I have since stopped for a while just to see how long the effect would last.(It does speed back up after not using it for a few days)  Plus I have really taken a liking to Headslick lately.  I do plan on using Aveeno again in the future.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 02:42:39 AM »
I get the impression that most of these things require a significant investment of time, perhaps a couple of months of 2 or 3 times per day applications. Of course I'm a glass-half-empty kind of guy so I'm always looking for the dark gray cloud when everyone else is seeing the silver lining. But just in case I am making a decent point it seems that the expense would tend to mount if you have to use this 2 or 3 times a day for a couple of months.
The other side of the coin for me is that I frequently let my hair grow for 2 or 3 days before shaving again. I've never been a daily shaver unless something special is going on. I really don't mind the velcro feeling, either. 
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 07:46:02 AM »
Of course, advancing age can be a great inhibitor of hair growth and the good thing is you don't need to keep applying it....

Offline slyjoe

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 07:57:15 AM »
I would love one of those!
"Sly til the day I die"

Offline MisterBurnz

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 11:14:52 PM »
The velcro feeling becomes a nuisance when i need to try to put a hat on and it constantly gets stuck (gets cold up here in New England...damn you Nemo) And I do use the Aveeno Shave gel, i just didn't know if anyone had tried using any lotions to put on between shaves or anything. I may bite the bullet and try one to be the Sly guinea pig...and age isn't going to inhibit much yet, 22 isn't really slowing hair growth all that much.

EDIT:
And of course the Aveeno lotion is discontinued...damn shame.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:24:09 PM by MisterBurnz »

Offline AdamC0418

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 03:48:23 PM »
There's a shaving cream made by dreadnought, that supposedly contains a chemical that slows hair growth. It gets very good reviews as a shaving cream. I haven't read anything that can confirm or deny the slowing if hair growth. It's worth a shot, but it is a cream that you'll need a brush to create a lather.

Offline DeanJones

• Dean Jones
  • Sly Jr.
  • Baldie for life!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 11:26:48 AM »
Hi, I have been using hair growth inhibitors for a while. I had hoped that it would permanently inhibit hair, but its' been a mixed bag.
Where my hair is whiter, there seems to be some hair loss and a higher forehead (yay!) but where it's darker, no dice. So, I still have a thick five o'clock shadow instead of the never-ending forehead I desire. I do think it helps but not enough to really do the job. I have seen some listing for some very expensive hair inhibitors but have not tried them. I will continue to use them in hopes that at some point my hair gives up and goes away.

Hope that helps.
I'm bald, and I love it! Bald is the best! Bald for life!

Enter your email address: