Author Topic: The Munk's 30-Day Bald Journey  (Read 17256 times)

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: The Munk's 30-Day Bald Journey
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2015, 03:55:31 AM »
And, as a side note, my wife is finding that she really likes my head completely shaved. I mean, she really likes it. Like really. So I'd encourage everyone to give the 30-day challenge a try!

I know what you mean.  My wife really likes my bald head to, even BBC. Probably the only reason I'd go back to hair is if I became a quadriplegic and was unable to shave my head.

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
  • Won't shave below the neck
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2015, 03:46:48 PM »
The look is definitely a good one for you, mrzed. Our significant others can have such an impact on us that I'm glad your wife likes the bald look and I'm so thankful that my wife was open to the change.

I'm finding that my head has adapted pretty well to the temperature change. Even though it's getting chilly out, my head doesn't feel all that much colder than it did when I had a full head of hair. The first few days after shaving my head were super cold, but now it doesn't feel that cold anymore.

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2015, 02:09:43 PM »
Another reason that the 30-Day Challenge makes sense: It is now 21 days into my bald journey. Three weeks in and I just had the best head shave yet!

It's taken me this long to learn about my own head. Shaving one's face is relatively easy: you can see the whole thing in a mirror, and it's pretty clear which direction the hair grows. It's simple, repetitive, and easy to see if you've missed any spots.

The hair on top of my head grows forward. The hair in the back grows downward, the hair on the sides grows from front to back in a curved path around my ears. And the hair whorl? I just watched a relatively silly video on the web in which a comedian was asked how he shaves his head. He mentioned shaving in a whirlpool pattern around his whorl. Duh! Of course that's how I should do it! Why didn't I think of that?

So today I hit my whorl from every conceivable angle, and that sucker's finally smooth!

And I'm at risk of sounding like a shill here, but I have been having great results using HeadSlick shave cream and a HeadBlade ATX. The HeadBlade removes the need to make sure that you are holding your razor at the correct angle for each part of the uneven globe of your head. Just use it with a very light touch, not pressing down on it with your hand, and no nicks at all.

Awesome!  O0

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2015, 02:37:17 PM »
I can tell you, as a guy who has a lot of hair on my crown, it never gets any easier.  I actually envy the guys who have major baldness.  Makes shaving much easier.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2015, 04:45:12 PM »
I can tell you, as a guy who has a lot of hair on my crown, it never gets any easier.  I actually envy the guys who have major baldness.  Makes shaving much easier.

Red

I was actually feeling the same envy this morning, for the first time in my life!

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2015, 09:00:54 PM »
I've been shaving my head about every two days now. I think waiting any longer between shaves was making things rougher. Tonight I had the best, closest shave yet.

I have a question, though:
I can still see little marks on my scalp from the horrible butcher job I did on myself the first few times I shaved my head. Other people can see them, too.
Did any of you get them when you (repeatedly) nicked your head? Will these marks go away with time?
 #3l*

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
Achievement Unlocked : 30 DAYS BALD!
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2015, 06:23:26 PM »
T O D A Y  I S  M Y  3 0 - D A Y  M A R K ! ! !
I like the way I look bald. My wife has come to see it as a very good look for me. I just invested in replacement blades for my ATX.

So it's safe to say that I'll be staying bald past the 30-day challenge!

It's been valuable to stick with it for this long just because it's taken me this long to figure out how to shave my head effectively. And it's taken me a while to get used to the feel and the look. It's also, I think, taken this long for folks around me to get used to how I now look, and to get over thinking that it might just be a phase I was going through. Since I've been shaving my head for over four weeks, no one can just assume I'm doing it because I "lost a bet" or something like that.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2015, 08:17:31 PM »
YES! Thus the 30 day rule!  You've proved that it works. It's a good rule to have.

Good to hear your story.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2015, 08:52:27 AM »
Congratulations on completing 30 days!  As you noticed, it takes time to adjust to the look and feel of being sly, not just for you, but also for others.  Regardless of how long you are sly, you'll still get the occasional question or comment about "growing it back", especially if you have more prominent shadow.  Don't let it bother you.  In general, people assume hair is preferable to baldness, so it's hard for them to grasp the concept of a guy enjoying (or choosing) baldness.

As to the nicks, yes, they heal and go away.  And most people won't notice them anyway!

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2015, 12:13:03 PM »
Congrats on completing 30 days!
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2015, 07:54:34 PM »
Thanks so much, gents! I seriously could not have done it without the wisdom and support of this board. In retrospect, the first couple of times I shaved my head were a disaster: I literally had bloody paper towels wrapped around my head! If I were on my own, I probably would have given up and said that it was too difficult.

As it is, I shaved my head again last night, and I just ordered a Headblade Sport just to compare it to my ATX, so I am definitely bald for the foreseeable future.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me with encouragement and advice over the past month. I suppose it’s time to retire this thread but I’ll still hang out on this forum and chat with this awesome community.
 O0

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2015, 09:55:42 PM »
To complete the pictur we need a photo of the bald head and if it is still growing the facial hair.  Well done.
Roger

Offline john.peachie

• A Texan working in N'Djamena, Chad
  • Sly
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2015, 10:47:32 PM »
Congratulations!!!
John

The best things in life are free, that's why I'm good for nothing...

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2015, 10:33:43 PM »
Congrats, Mr. Munk.  Always glad to read your posts.

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2016, 01:12:05 PM »
I just passed my six month Baldiversary! Wow - I had no idea that it's been that long!

This past week I actually flirted with the idea of letting my hair grow back in. I let it go for a few days, until my hair got past the stubbly stage. But then I just thought about how much I've preferred being bald, and how much better I think I look.

So, here I am - still bald after 180 days! I still love it.

Enter your email address: