Author Topic: The Munk's 30-Day Bald Journey  (Read 17263 times)

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
  • Won't shave below the neck
Re: The Munk's 30-Day Bald Journey
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 09:48:41 PM »
Okay, two interesting things today:

1. A woman who works in my office saw me today and told me that she thinks I've found "my look." She liked my bald look.
2. A woman at the bus stop who I see every day but who has never spoken to me before commented on my shaved head and that I picked the wrong time of year to do it. She then told me that it looks good.

Very interesting. Very affirming.

Thank you tobler1, mrzed, john.peachie, Semi-Sly, Quiet_Dan, npsbg, slybeard, Cave Dweller, and nuts for the help and encouragement!
I'll try to post a pic soon...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:51:48 PM by MunkyMunk »

Offline john.peachie

• A Texan working in N'Djamena, Chad
  • Sly
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 12:18:03 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the pics!

I need to get a new passport and with that comes a new picture, perhaps I can get a matching background for my avatar.

Cheers,
John

The best things in life are free, that's why I'm good for nothing...

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 09:06:23 PM »
Okay, I'm back. I shaved my head again last night and I realized why I had little spots of fuzz all over my head: I'd been holding my razor at the wrong angle for my head! Duh!
I was dragging the head of the razor over the fuzz, so I was getting that little scraping sound which usually means that hair is being cut by the razor, but it wasn't the blades that were going over the hair!

I had to learn to keep the handle held up higher in the air when shaving my head. I'm guessing that the HeadBlade makes that part of shaving easier, so I've ordered one.

Also, I was wondering whether shaving my head would be easier with shorter hair, so I shaved my head again tonight.

I finally got that all-over shiny and smooth feeling! My fourth time shaving is my best shave ever.

Still a ton of little nicks and bleeding, though. Seriously, it looks like I have measles, there are so many little red dots on my scalp. Hopefully it will get less bloody as I keep practicing.

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 12:32:53 AM »
It definitely gets quicker and easier over time.  Doesn't mean you won't occasionally ding yourself shaving, though.  Hazard of the look.

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2015, 04:46:59 PM »
In an effort to let my scalp heal up a bit, I didn't shave my head yesterday.
Today, however, my HeadBlade arrived in the mail. How could I get a new HeadBlade in the mail on not shave?

So I shaved my head today with a HeadBlade for the first time. I liked it! As I mentioned, one of the problems I had been having with a regular razor was holding it at the correct angle. The HeadBlade took care of that.

Before I used the HeadBlade, I kept practicing with it with the cover over the blade, just to get the hang of how to use it. I think this would be a good idea for anyone new to the HeadBlace.

The shave was pretty easy and it was nice and close. I still nicked myself alot, but I think that was just because I had a bunch of preexisting nicks that were raised up and cut open by the close shave of the HeadBlade.

I plan to let it go for a couple of days to let my scalp heal, then I plan to start shaving each morning, only with the grain to start.

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 03:29:24 PM »
Okay, I'm posting a pic.
I'm letting my scalp rest to heal all the nicks I've inflicted on it, so I've got about two or three days' growth here.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 03:48:52 PM »
Beard and glasses are a nice touch! I can barely tell if you were a victim of MPB or not.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 03:57:57 PM »
I'm about a 2 on the Norwood scale, so I'm pretty much Bald By Choice.
Also, I need my pate to get some sun so it's not so blindingly white.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 04:07:41 PM by MunkyMunk »

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 04:08:11 PM »
No worries Munk, you look good with a,shaved head. Rock on!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 05:01:37 PM »
You look great with a shaved head, thanks for sharing the pics
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2015, 06:58:53 PM »
I can't compare it to before, but I think you look great bald.  No wonder strangers are telling you it looks good.  It does!

Offline john.peachie

• A Texan working in N'Djamena, Chad
  • Sly
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 03:58:14 AM »
Looks just like your avatar!  Good look, keep going with it!  O0
John

The best things in life are free, that's why I'm good for nothing...

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2015, 08:22:11 AM »
Thanks, fellas. Just shaved my head again last night and did much better. I used a real feather touch, and the HeadBlade did a great job.
The encouragement is appreciated.  :)

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 09:29:07 AM »
The look works well for you! Keeper.

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2015, 05:51:36 PM »
I post this for other newbies and folks who are considering going bald - my first few shaves were rough, but it's getting better. I seem to be finding what works for me.

Today I had my best head shave yet! Jumped in the shower. Used a little bit of shampoo, then used some St. Ives apricot scrub to exfoliate my scalp since I've got a touch of dandruff.
Then I put some shaving cream on my head and left it for a minute. Grabbed my Headblade ATX and started.

An old boss of mine who has been sly for years saw how nicked up my head is. He asked me whether I'm going nice and slow when I shaved my head. I hadn't been. I had been going fast, like in the Headblade demonstration video I had watched. So today I took it nice and slow, with a feather light touch.

Hardly any nicks at all today, whereas last week I was using paper towels to absorb the blood from my scalp. I still have some nicks and scabs on my scalp, and I still didn't get my head completely smooth, but it's getting better!

And, as a side note, my wife is finding that she really likes my head completely shaved. I mean, she really likes it. Like really. So I'd encourage everyone to give the 30-day challenge a try!