Author Topic: How short do I go?  (Read 3671 times)

Offline BoringUsername814

• Learning the way of Sly
How short do I go?
« on: February 16, 2016, 02:04:48 PM »
I've pretty much come to terms that it's time to buzz my hair. My only concern is, as you can probably guess by the title, what grade to use. In the pictures I've posted, it looks like there are bald spots when in direct light, although when I use mirrors and look closely, there are no real bald spots. Just very thin. I don't want the buzzing to make everything more noticeable if possible. My thinning is a little asymmetrical, so I'm hoping that won't stand out at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you need more pictures or anything to get a better understanding just let me know. Would prefer not to go all the way bald.

PICS:

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: How short do I go?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 03:28:59 PM »
Why not go to a 0 and then let it grow in and see which length that you like?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 06:13:53 AM »
My hair was pretty similar to yours, in the level of thinning. I took mine down to a 2, wore it for about an hour and then went sly. Once I got down to that level, it was easier for me to visualize myself sly. I think 2 to 3 is a good place to start. My thinning is also asymmetrical and once I buzzed it, I thought it looked a little patchy. Good luck.
Roll Tide!
COYS!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 01:19:12 PM »
I am currently in barber School.  We advise all men with thinning hair; "Less is More" (the shorter the better)!

Men whose hair is like yours on top often want to keep it as long as they can.  We tell them to cut the sides down to a bald fade to make whatever hair they leave on top appear to be "more"

guys who are going to buzz - well we just try a few lengths till we get down to one that disguises any unevenness.  If I were you I would try "2" but be prepared to go shorter right away if it doesn't look "right".

But I am going to tell you the truth - you hair is dark, and it is so much thicker on the sides than it is on the top that when you buzz it you are going to be struck with the Male Pattern Baldness that you see.  So, I predict that if you do buzz your hair you will soon be going to a "0" or a full shave.  It will look better than a #2 or #3 buzz on you.

Offline Jordan1991

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 03:37:28 PM »
I echo the recommendation to start at say a #3 guard to get used to it, but be prepared to go shorter.

My balding is similar, and I found that even at a 3 it looked kind of messy.

Offline BoringUsername814

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 05:13:25 PM »
I echo the recommendation to start at say a #3 guard to get used to it, but be prepared to go shorter.

My balding is similar, and I found that even at a 3 it looked kind of messy.

Since a 3 was kind of iffy, do you think a 1 or a 2 would work for me? Don't want to go all the way since I don't really think I have the face/body for it right now, but I also don't want it to look the way it does right now. Also, how do you think the hairline would be? It doesn't seem as bad when I'm not in the direct light.

Offline Jordan1991

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 05:14:29 PM »
What ever you are comfortable with?

Offline beardbald

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 06:38:46 PM »
My hair loss was very similar. I can still get hair at the front but it's fine and starts waaaaaaaaaaay back. It's at the top that it's fine and I ended up with a bald spot.

For me I went to a two I think but then started to realise that showed the hair loss just as much. I shaved to a 0 on a Friday as I had two days before I went back to work and for a while the Friday shaves were what I did until I got used to it. I then started wet shaving my head as again I felt I could see the hair loss through the shadow 

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 07:48:28 PM »
I'm BBC. Once my buddy suggested that we try a shorter haircut a number of years ago, I've just gone shorter and shorter until there is no shorter left.  I really like it. Never dreamed I'd sport a BBC hairstyle.  But I really like it. Both the look and the feel.

It's worth a try.  Your choice on the length, and how quickly you progress to bald.