Author Topic: Receding hair, not sure what to do, 23 y/o.. HELP APPRECIATED  (Read 5339 times)

Offline taybon

• Learning the way of Sly
Hi there,

I am 23 y/o and have been 'trying' to deal with losing my hair for a while now, at least 3 years, I never took any action because of the side affects associated with such medication, and to be honest, I feel as though I may be coming to terms with it. In saying that however, I do spend a large amount of time worrying and obsessing about my hair, and the amount of time that I do spend on this is literally just wasted and could be spent doing anything and it would be more worthwhile and productive. I just want some opinions on what everyone thinks..

OTHER INFO *** My mother's father is bald, my brother is not (older), dad's hair is thinning..
I have always had a large forehead, and a mature hairline as well..  :-\

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: Receding hair, not sure what to do, 23 y/o.. HELP APPRECIATED
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 11:46:42 AM »
Losing your hair when you are young is tough to deal with.  The fact that you realize you are spending a lot of valuable time thinking / worrying about your hair is important.  As you said, that time could be put to better use.  Without a picture, it's hard to tell you what to do, but you could try going for progressively shorter cuts to see what looks good and feels comfortable for you.  If you want to go all the way to sly, try it and if you don't like it, your hair will grow back pretty quickly. 

One last thought about hair and the time devoted to it:  a quote that hangs in the Hirschorn Museum in Washington DC: "Give your brain as much attention as you do your hair and you'll be a thousand times better off."

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 12:14:37 PM »
Well, in my opinion, you still have a LOT of hair so you are a long way from running out of options.

But that is the point.  How you wear you hair is an "option".  While you still have hair you might want to experiment a bit to see what FEELS best to you.  I agree that you should try progressively shorter haircuts until you find what feels right for you.

And if shaving your head completely bald FEELS good to you - then it doesn't matter if you are losing your hair or not.  Lots of guys, even on this board, shave their head because they want to -not because they must.  A lot of guys go "Bald By Choice" (BBC) because they like the look and feel of rocking a shaved head.

So, have some fun with it.  Switch it up.  Test fly a bunch of different hairstyles.  You are 23 for goodness sake!  This is the time to experiment with things in life!

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 02:48:16 AM »
your hairline is pretty similar to what I had at your age, I didn't really do anything about it (shaving) til 28. Yes it is a bit receding but you have time to mess about with hair styles for a while before it becomes really obvious, but if you feel like shaving, go for it! thats what most of us do to deal with balding (kinda obvious eh!)
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!