Author Topic: Shaved head from long time hair piece wearer  (Read 2149 times)

Offline brianz24

• Learning the way of Sly
Shaved head from long time hair piece wearer
« on: July 24, 2015, 10:25:23 AM »
I wore a hairpiece glued to my scalp for around 20 years.  Started balding by 20, and had a hair piece shortly there after.   Went through various trials and tribulations with that, but the short of it is, I wouldn't recommend that path for almost anyone.  While you definitely can get something that looks good, the cost, maintenance, and stress that come with it are definitely not worth it. Especially not these days. 

I removed the hair piece about 30 days ago and shaved my head.  I am actually quite comfortable with the shaved head look.  I enjoy the ease of getting ready, the lack of concern about sweat, wind, and other issues. 

I do, however, have one problem that is really bothering me.  It is still obvious (to me) the exact perimeter of whether the hair piece was.  When I first removed it, I was really concerned about the imprint line at the fornt.. and of course the fact that my scalp was white and my face was not.  Both of those for the most part of have gone away.

What bothers me now is the sides and the back.  The transition to where my own hair starts is quite pronounced.  The perimeter of where the hair piece was is still quite pronounced.  I can literally feel a ridge in my skin. 

The person I worked with for years with my hair piece said that these will go away with time.  She originally said a couple of weeks.  Now at 30 days, if they have gone down, it isn't much and it really bothers me. 

I was told by a hair replacement professional (someone that sells hair pieces) that it is fat deposits that formed around the edge of whether the hair piece was.  He said it should take another 4-6 weeks to disappear.  I am not convinced.  It doesn't seem to be changing much. 

I have an appointment with a plastic surgeon to see if there is anything they can do -- lipo, anything to make the ridges less pronounced.   I am also considering having some hair transplant work done to make the lines less straight -- because the hair piece was there for so long, the side hair line is very straight which I think looks odd.    If anything, I may have them just remove some hair randomly to make it less straight.

Has anyone here had experience moving away from long time hair piece wearing to shaved head?  Can you share your experience?  Will these ridges go away on their own? 

Thanks!

Brian

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Shaved head from long time hair piece wearer
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 10:30:39 AM »
Brian,

First of all, welcome, and good for you for taking the plunge and shaving your dome. You should post some pics for us!

Without seeing you head, hard for us to tell what it looks like. What I know from personal experience, is that things that we thing are VERY noticeable, and sometimes invisible to the people that you are with on a day to day basis.

I would not worry too much, and give it some time. People are probably getting used to you having NO hair!

Best,

Steve

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 10:32:50 AM »
Can you post a picture or two to see?
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 11:01:18 AM »
I'm just wondering if massaging the line with some oil might help even it out?
Bald by choice, and loving it!