Author Topic: 28 years old, just took the plunge.  (Read 5144 times)

Offline SephF

• Learning the way of Sly
28 years old, just took the plunge.
« on: June 04, 2015, 02:16:13 AM »
Hey guys,

My name is Joseph (friends call me Joey or Joe). I'm from Edmonton Alberta Canada and I'm 28 years old. I work in the tire industry and I'm a big hockey fan, my Dad had me in skates as soon as I could walk! I played minor hockey from 6 years old until 17. Love the sport!

Anyways, I have been lurking these forums over the past few years while I obsessed about my disappearing hairline.

I started receding pretty much as soon as I hit 18, I didn't really notice until 23-24 because it was such a slow process but it has gotten to the point where I have to give up and stop the fight.

It really consumed me and chipped away at my confidence... it was getting to the point where I was unhappy with how my hair looked more often then I was content. I was rocking the junior comb over for the last few years covering up my disappearing bangs. I did an OK job but it still bothered me.. I hated seeing some pictures of myself. I have been THAT GUY rocking a hat whenever I went out... I never wanted to be that guy.

Here are my before and afters, I don't think I'm ready to razor it right down to the skin, I unfortunately have a pretty bad/patchy beard that takes months to fill out. I work in a professional setting and can't look scruffy for two months while it fills out.

I just did it last week, still getting used to the look (and need to get some sun) but I think it looks OK, definitely makes me look older though. Not sure why my bangs decided to disappear when my crown seems to show no signs of balding but I guess its different for everyone.

I have had mixed reactions. A lot of people were shocked because I did a decent job of covering it up so they didn't realize how far gone my hairline was. I had a woman at work look at me and just say "oh no!!" and kind of give me a sad look. But I'm a pretty confident guy so I'm able to handle it. Some others have said it looks better.

It's a shock everytime I look in the mirror still, my hair hasn't been this short since I was an infant.

It's definitely nice being in and out of the shower in 5 minutes and out the door right away in the morning instead of sitting infront of the mirror for half an hour trying to make my hair look presentable.

Anyways, I will probably post here occasionally - seems like a great community.

Cheers

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: 28 years old, just took the plunge.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 04:15:47 AM »
It's a very definite improvement.  Congrats on the new look.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 04:43:24 AM »
Welcome, Joe! Given that your crown is still intact, the short buzz looks good! You don't have to reach for the razor just yet if you don't want to!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 05:15:19 AM »
Welcome to the board, Joseph.

Congratulations on taking the plunge and discovering how liberating the new look can be. I see it as a great improvement over the before combover look.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 01:29:29 PM »
Looks much better.  If you are concerned with growing a beard and keeping it neat while it grows, you can use a beard trimmer to keep it trimmed weekly, but gradually increase the length setting.

I suggest you go ahead with the blade head shave and start the beard.  Your friends and co-workers will only go through the "shock" one time rather than dragging it out.
SlyBeard

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 04:28:28 PM »
Great improvement!  Looks good.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 06:07:18 PM »
Hello, Joe. The buzz looks terrific - much better than the before photos. And you don't look older.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline SephF

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 07:01:48 PM »
thanks for you kind words guys, it felt like 100 lbs got lifted off my shoulders as soon as I shaved my head. So glad that I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 07:02:58 PM »
Joey, it looks great!  Congrats on making the decision.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 07:14:42 PM »
It looks really good Joey. Nice improvement!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 11:20:45 PM »
As I said to another guy on the board recently when he posted his before and afters:

"from Dud to Stud"!

Huge improvement Joey.  You don't look older, but you do look more confident and mature.

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 11:44:59 PM »
Looks great. Maybe try growing the sideburns down farther and a bit of goatee. Experiment and have fun with it. You look like a young guy who buzzed his head, not older. Try a bare clipper buzz with no guard next. Its like 4 days growth if you don't like to be back where you are now.   

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 05:21:17 AM »
Good decision.

It will take a while for you to get used to the new look. You pass a store window ... notice the reflection of this guy with very short hair and wonder who he is.  Oh, it's me!  I went through that. Just hang in there. You have a very new look.  Looks good. 

sounds like you are on the right track. 

I've visited Edmonton many years ago.  Stayed at a campground west of town.  Took the kids to the mall for two days of swimming and riding the rides. They were quite young at the time.  I'm guessing that was 1989 or so. 

We were on a drive from Alaska to the lower 48 states.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 06:00:56 AM »
You look great with short buzz.   I lived in Edmonton for two years. Nice city.

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 09:52:46 AM »
Looks great
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Enter your email address: