Author Topic: What does it mean when people say "balding men have more virility"  (Read 3801 times)

Offline Shady_725

• Sly Jr.
  • Bald rookie, Appreciating any support and tips :)
Hi guys, I myself have male pattern baldness and extremely thin hair on the top with a receided hair line.

I always come accross the saying that men who have male pattern baldness are more virile. Is this true? What is meant by this?

According to google, it means that men have more strength, energy and a sex drive.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 12:10:30 PM by Shady_725 »

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
Yeah, I'll buy that.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: What does it mean when people say "balding men have more virility"
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 05:16:51 PM »
I thought it meant balding men did have higher levels of testosterone.  But that is based on a vague recollection.

Offline forexfreak

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Hair, Forex and Business Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 01:21:47 PM »
Men who have MPB usually have higher levels of Dihyrdrotestosterone, the hormone culprit that is the cause of MPB.

You can learn more about it here http://hairgrowthshampoohq.com

This is the site i usually use for product reviews etc.

Propecia is a good drug used to combat MPB and it works.

Offline nick2401

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 06:40:46 PM »
More Testosterone=more virility ( aka more strength, energy and a higher sex drive.)
More Testosterone= Less hair.

Having gone sly I am okay with this trade off and wouldn't use sometime to artificially get a full head of hair back if you paid me.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 12:05:53 AM »
You are not going to have MPB unless you are genetically predisposed to it.  Guys who are genetically predisposed to MPB have different kinds of hair follicles in the MPB area than they do on the resp of their head.  What "triggers" the top follicles to go dormant and the hair to fall out is DHT.  Thus, guys who are genetically predisposed to MPB only start losing their hair when they start producing a lot of extra testosterone.  So, guys who start losing their hair at a young age generally produce boat loads of testosterone - and thus are very, very, virile.

Offline beardbald

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 08:43:47 AM »
It's true. I'm very virile

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 09:46:38 AM »
BBA is correct, it requires both genitics and testosterone to trigger MPB.  Most hair loss drugs block testosterone - thus the side effects.  No drugs alter genitics.

Also, higher testosterone (above normal levels) does not equal more hair loss.  But low testosterone (below the normal range) can slow down the process.  If it was just high testosterone, then every teenage guy would be completely bald, and old men would regrow their hair.
SlyBeard

Offline Otis

• Learning the way of Sly
    • Master The Razor
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 12:36:49 AM »
You are not going to have MPB unless you are genetically predisposed to it.  Guys who are genetically predisposed to MPB have different kinds of hair follicles in the MPB area than they do on the resp of their head.  What "triggers" the top follicles to go dormant and the hair to fall out is DHT.  Thus, guys who are genetically predisposed to MPB only start losing their hair when they start producing a lot of extra testosterone.  So, guys who start losing their hair at a young age generally produce boat loads of testosterone - and thus are very, very, virile.

Fascinating post.  I had heard about the virile thing at some point through my travels but never ruminated on its meaning.  Truly interesting stuff.