Author Topic: Veterans May Legally Salute  (Read 10036 times)

Offline YOSP

• Super Sly
Re: Veterans May Legally Salute
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 05:38:16 AM »
I saluted @ the Phillies game on Sunday, my hand was shaking the whole time, but it brought back great memories and reminded me to be proud that I served my country.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 07:11:45 AM »
Awesome YOSP.  Haven't had the opportunity to use the new reg yet.  Any reaction from the surrounding fans?
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 12:06:50 PM »
I don't see why it should be illeagal for a non vet or serviceman to salute. it's about honour and respect....

I like this decision!

To me the salute is an earned privilege and should be reserved for those who actually served.  8)

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 01:39:02 PM »
As a Soldier, im glad they changed.  the sad thing to me is that so few people, including servicemen, even know what the reg was and where it was outlined.  Most of our Soldiers dont even know the bugle calls today.  Go to an Air Force base today and watch airmen refusing to pay courtesies to the flag when Retreat and To The Colors are played at 1700 is sad.  Want to see something reaalysad?  Watch film of ballgames from the 40's and 50's and watch every American stand and REMOVE their headgear(hats) when the anthem is played and the colors are posted or as the colors just pass in review.  Today, half of them wont even remove their hats...  Oh well, there I go again....

Offline WannaBePadre

• Look at all of this stuff!
  • Super Sly
  • The hairs of your head have been counted (Lk 12:7)
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 10:36:30 PM »
Ugh. I remember 10 years ago on an USAF base ... only we Sailors would stop and salute at Colors / Retreat ... and the USAF Airmen would run into buildings.
Nothing says 'God loves you' more than a bald man in mirrored sunglasses.

Offline YOSP

• Super Sly
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 12:30:30 PM »
As a Soldier, im glad they changed.  the sad thing to me is that so few people, including servicemen, even know what the reg was and where it was outlined.  Most of our Soldiers dont even know the bugle calls today.  Go to an Air Force base today and watch airmen refusing to pay courtesies to the flag when Retreat and To The Colors are played at 1700 is sad.  Want to see something reaalysad?  Watch film of ballgames from the 40's and 50's and watch every American stand and REMOVE their headgear(hats) when the anthem is played and the colors are posted or as the colors just pass in review.  Today, half of them wont even remove their hats...  Oh well, there I go again....

It is only "enforced" at some USAF bases, but I do think it needs to be done by everyone regardless.

Offline zuckermania

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 08:40:06 AM »
I graduated from the Coast Guard Academy 2 years ago.  Even at a military academy we had a debate going on as to whether it was appropriate to stand in the position of attention or place your hand over your heart while the national anthem was playing, if out of uniform.  At the center of the debate was that placing your hand over your heart is considered a 'civilian salute'... a form of paying respect for those who don't wear the uniform.  This is interesting, and I'm not sure where I stand on it, but I think I like it.  I just hope that people who haven't heard of this law don't watch servicemen and women salute at a ball game, and think it is appropriate for themselves to throw up a half assed lazy salute, with their fingers spread wide apart.

Offline BaldInKC

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 11:35:36 PM »
Ugh. I remember 10 years ago on an USAF base ... only we Sailors would stop and salute at Colors / Retreat ... and the USAF Airmen would run into buildings.

OK, I'm going to have to insert my experience as an Air Force veteran, especially in regards to Airmen vs Seamen behavior..

In 1993 when I was deployed to Vicenza, Italy for a NATO operation, we Airmen continued doing such silly things as wearing our covers (hats) outdoors and saluting officers while our Navy counterparts no longer bothered.

As for reveille/retreat/taps, I have never seen Airmen ignoring them (whether in civvies or uniform) at any Air Base I've ever been at (which is many, since I grew up an Air Force brat and then joined myself).

Anyway, I don't mean to sound defensive or antagonistic..  The disrespect the Air Force gets just wears on me sometimes.  Even the results of the "which branch" poll listed it as the "Air Farce".  All that being said, I know it's almost always just in good fun.  My favorite rejoinder is that we Air Force enlisted go about things the right way, we send our OFFICERS into battle while we stay safely behind LOL

Offline WannaBePadre

• Look at all of this stuff!
  • Super Sly
  • The hairs of your head have been counted (Lk 12:7)
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 09:51:59 AM »
Part of my experience was that as squids on an airbase, we were in the minority. Maybe there were just more airmen to see ditching colors. No offense intended, bro.

Nothing says 'God loves you' more than a bald man in mirrored sunglasses.

Offline BaldInKC

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 10:23:58 AM »
Part of my experience was that as squids on an airbase, we were in the minority. Maybe there were just more airmen to see ditching colors. No offense intended, bro.

None taken.  Like I said, I'm sure it's all in good fun!

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 07:28:38 AM »
i have seen several vetrans at high school football games and when the national anthem plays, they are usually all at attention. gives me a sense of pride because i know i have heroes in my area. i think if you serve your country, you have earned the right to salute the flag. thank you once again to those that serve or have served.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Nick912

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Above All!
    • US Air Force
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 09:17:45 AM »
Go to an Air Force base today and watch airmen refusing to pay courtesies to the flag when Retreat and To The Colors are played at 1700 is sad.

I am an Airman who is proud to serve and never runs away when retreat plays. It makes me mad when people run away or dont stop thier car if they are driving.
==SLY SERGEANT==

Offline NAVRN

• Sly Jr.
  • AKA NAVRN2
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2008, 11:20:22 AM »
Good deal.  Once a person has served it is forever a part of them!!!  Like it!!