Author Topic: shortest cut possible (some options and photos)  (Read 32678 times)

Offline mascherani

• Sly Guy in Training
shortest cut possible (some options and photos)
« on: December 10, 2014, 07:19:17 AM »
hello guys,

i had already placed this question on another topic, but i think it deserves it's own, mainly because of the pictures and some very specific questions, so... let's go:

having been "shaving" my head for the last 10/12 years now. first with a Philips QC5170 (until September), then with a Wahl Groomsman Pro and in the last few weeks with the Wahl Color Pro. always without guards, obviously.

i like my haircut the closest to scalp as possible.

the QC5170 had an amazing motor, holding the charge impeccably for years, running strong and smooth, but the guards (i use them only for the beard trimming) were made in plastic and that was a problem (to replace, because they broke easily). when the blades became a bit dull i've changed to the Wahl Groomsman Pro but the motor it's horrible. it won't hold the charge and runs inconsistently. even so, it cuts my hair very short and it's great for the beard... at least for some minutes!?!? lol!

so i've tried the Wahl Color Pro. great power, even cut, but not that short... i've even zero gapped the blades, but still it's not the short i want.
after cutting with it, i need to finish the cut with the trimmer (Groomsman Pro).

so... after searching the net, and sending dozens of mails to barbers (pros and no pros), reviewers and bloggers i've come to a few options.

Wahl Balding Clipper. seems logic. but i'm a bit afraid of those skin cuts you're talking about. i'm not a rookie and i always used my clippers without guards, but even so...
(one of the users was talking about some blade adjustment, but i didn't find anything about that)

Andis T-Outliner and/or Wahl Detailer, since i'm learning that trimmers cut hair shorter than the clippers...

can you guys give me some help?

most of the pro barbers/reviewers/bloggers i talked to, are sending me to the Andis T-Outliner, a few to the Balding Clippers... and i'm in the middle!?!?!?
i admit the fact of the Andis T-Outliner has no stainless steel blades is bothering me...

i'm afraid i don't like the total bald look, so i'm looking for the closest cut. closest but safe...

finally, and probably my main question right now: buying the 6X0 Wahl Balding Blades and replace the default ones in the Color Pro will do the job without spending more money buying the Wahl Balding Clipper?

will my Color Pro with the 6X0 Balding Blades cut my hair as short as the original 5 Star Balding Clipper?

photo of the Color Pro fully open:

and fully closed (after zero gap):

and, just for curiosity, the Gromsman Pro (no adjustment allowed, and a little dirty, sorry for that):

in a couple of days i'll put some photos of my before and after shaving my scalp...  O0

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
Re: shortest cut possible (some options and photos)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 11:00:02 PM »
I have both the Wahl balding clippers and the Andi T-edger.  The Wahl might cut a bit closer, but the cuts can be vicious!  And because it is so easy to cut myself, using the Wahl Balding clippers requires that you go slowly and it takes a long time.

You can get a T-edger for around $47 if you hunt for one on the web.

But really, it is a lot faster and easier to shave with a razor than to mess about with either of them!

Offline meanderthal

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 05:17:51 AM »
Great questions. 

My recommendation is the andis t-outliner.  I have this trimmer and it is both large enough and powerful enough to do the job.  I find that using the t-edjer takes too long and the motor is not as strong.  The t-edjer does not seem to be made for the job. 

Before purchasing any Andis products, I had the wahl balding clipper. I've experienced the cuts from those blades and  it is not fun.  Over the years the blades have dulled a bit and don't present such a hazard.

When my hair has grown for a few days and I need clippers to do the job - i reach for the andis t-outliner.  It is strong enough, close enough and safe at any angle. 

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 11:54:29 AM »
I agree with BBBA. Use a regular razor and lather. It is much easier and much cheaper. It also does a great job. I suse a little baby oil first before lathering up which makes the razor run smoother on the dome.

I also have a Wahl Balding clipper. The blades are real sharp and I have cut myself when using it. I prefer a regular razor myself. I like a baby butt smooth dome.

Offline mascherani

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 05:58:04 PM »
yesterday i made the experience of using the foil razor attachment which comes with the Wahl Groomsman Pro kit. as i said before, it's too much for me, but today i'm loving the size of it. i'm becoming to think if a foil electric shaver isn't the best solution... after the first bald day i like the size. it will be enough for a couple more days and, after that, another foil shave. too bad i can't find the Wahl 5 star shaver here, in Portugal or in another european country (only in the uk and the electrical plugins are different)... i love the size of it. the Braun series 3 it's another option, at this moment.

i've putted the Balding Clipper away because of the cuts. i don't have the time and/or patience to be that careful cutting my hair (and that's why the wet shave it's not an option, also).

the T-outliner... i'll see if i can buy one in the EU... i would like to have two options: a clipper for the short cut, and the electric foil shaver for the total cut.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:02:30 PM by mascherani »

Offline mascherani

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 09:26:41 AM »
after a few months...  O0

just to let you guys know i'm now using the Braun Series 3 (340s Wet & Dry).
i still prefer my haircut after a day or two (of using it), but it's a fabulous machine.
great motor, great (incredible) battery life, great blades. clean, smooth cut. and it's super easy to clean (wash).
highly recommended! i've found my perfect partner.

i'm still using the Wahl Groomsman Pro, but just for the beard now.

Offline Doctor X

• Sly Jr.
  • BBC: Because Sly is WAY better than bad hair.
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 10:32:38 AM »
It is possible to get the T-Outliner in the UK (Amazon), but you have to use a step-up voltage transformer to use it here. However; you can get the Andis Superliner trimmer also, which is essentially the same and does not require the transformer.

Offline orenoren

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 04:30:01 PM »
Hey,

i actually bought a Wahl Balding Clipper a few days ago, did my first clipping yesterday.

I have to say i wish it would cut much closer than it actually does without any guide. I add a photo.

I am looking as well for something closer but not ready to clean shave it yet. I like some shadow, but not as much as the wahl balding clipper leaves.

Enter your email address: