Author Topic: The shift to less blades  (Read 4581 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
The shift to less blades
« on: November 14, 2014, 03:36:23 PM »
Since SBG started we've seen the introduction of the Fusion and it's many flavors along with other 5 and 6 blade competitors.  It seems like the industry has hit a point where the consumers have decided that more is not always more and have started using DE razors and cartridges with less blades.

Do you feel that there is a shift going on?  If so, what do you think the reasons are?  Price of blades?  Quality of shave?  More education on how to use DE razors? 

Other thoughts?

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
Re: The shift to less blades
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 05:54:25 PM »
The 4 - 6 blade razor is not any better than a quality 2-3 blade razor. With experience people are finding this to be true. With the DE razor the price for blades over the internet are much cheaper, so many are willing to give these a try. IMO and I learned on a DE the newer  2&3 razors are better , but they are more costly.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline invaray

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 07:52:25 PM »
Do you feel that there is a shift going on?    No

I don't think a shift is going on. Cartridge blades still out sell DE razors. It seems to be a fad that people remember and like the old style razors and give them a try. Most people that shave each day are not going to be able to use a DE razor and go back to the cartridge for safety and time. I think people realize that beyond 3 blades in a razor there is no improvement.
shine and share

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 11:47:38 AM »
Razors such as Fusion may be pricing themselves out of the market.  They are pretty darn expensive.  I liked my Fusion ... by I like my Dollar Shave Club version just as well - and the chunk of change it saves me .... Well, I like that even more.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 03:50:24 PM »
I do feel that there is a shift toward shaving with a DE and SE razors.  You can include me to this list.  The reasons why I switched were price, quality of shave, and the zen experience.

The price of Fusion blades are approximately $30-40 dollars for only 8 refills.  For under $11.00, I can get 100 Astra SP blades.  Try buying 100 Fusion refills??? :/O

The quality of a DE or SE shave is far superior then any cartridge razor.  I get smoother results and better feel with a DE and SE razor.

The "Zen"-like experience of shaving with a DE and SE razor while creating thick lather with a shaving brush is sooooo relaxing.  The traditional way of shaving is enjoyable and spa-like.

I also do not think this is a "fad".  It is here to stay.  As a proud member of Badger and Blade, we have daily new members who have "thrown" away their cartridges and joined the ranks of DE, SE, and straight razor shaving.

Shaving the traditional way is not for everyone.  On rare occasions we do have members on Badger and Blade that do not like their DE or SE shaves and go back to their cartridges.  However, most do love this way of shaving.  I have been shaving this way since April 2012 and I refuse to go back to any multi-blade cartridge.  All in all, I am glad that I discovered safety razors because it has improved my shaves tremendously and I have a fun time doing it. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 03:54:33 PM »
I also want to add that shaving with a DE or SE razor takes time and patience.  If you do not have the time or patience then this way of shaving is not for you.  It took me about a week to learn to face shave and about a month to head shave.

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 12:56:20 PM »
Here is a PERFECT example on why the traditional way of shaving using only one blade (i.e. DE, SE, or straight razor) is NOT A FAD...

https://www.facebook.com/gillette/photos/a.139781649749.132982.7390944749/10152936748674750/?type=1&theater

WARHAWK O0

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 01:54:23 PM »
Love those comments

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 02:02:46 PM »
I'm in the Fusion camp.  I shave in the shower, in the morning, while getting ready for work.  I'm always pressed for time and just don't have the time to shave my head in a slow and lengthy manner.  5 minutes, I'm done and my head is as smooth as butter.

I started out with a Mach 3 but find the Fusion gives me the better and smoother shave.  I have been curious about the DE Razors, but time is my enemy.  Also I'm a bit heavy handed at times when shaving my head and I can see the DE Razor just cutting me up all over.

I don't mind the cost of the cartridges.  It's the price I'm willing to pay to look the way I want to look with the ease and convenience they offer.
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 12:13:14 PM »
I sliced a 2 inch slice in my head a few days ago with my de... Though I was using feather blades, gives an awesome shave, but you have to be careful! Still... Healing nicely

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 09:55:50 AM »

Hi Geeman:  Glad that you are healing nicely.  I love Feather blades but they can "bite" if you are not careful. 

WARHAWK O0

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 01:05:29 PM »
Hi warhawk, they are great for the face, but a little aggressive on the head for me

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 02:37:58 PM »
Back again.  And heretical.  Cheap disposables do everything I need in a razor.  They shave the dome "well enough." Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. 

Well enough?  I don't invite other hands to judge how slick things are (and even if Platonically slick, an hour or two will destroy that), since any body-fondling that's done is done by self, save by invitation, and that rarely given.

So, a sack of no-name disposables from Target lies in my bathroom drawer.  Feel free to slash away with a DE; feel free to bankrupt yourself with the latest hot-diggety from the commercial beseechers.  I don't prescribe, I only describe.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 07:00:39 PM »
Ming speaks...
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.