Author Topic: de razor finally arrived!  (Read 7496 times)

Offline agentfortyseven

• Sly Jr.
de razor finally arrived!
« on: October 22, 2014, 12:29:04 AM »
Tomorrow i will happily dive (face first) into de shaving, i'll wait a bit to use it on my head. Anyway just felt like posting my excitement. I'll be using a merkur 34c hd, ej pure badger brush, with some proraso shave cream. I'll probably throw an update on here after i get the first shave in

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
Re: de razor finally arrived!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 05:09:53 AM »
Good luck and enjoy!  I bet it won't be long before you're doing the noggin, too.  I was cautious at first, but I couldn't resist moving up!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 05:34:57 AM »
I've been looking at the 34c, definitely let us know how you like it.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline agentfortyseven

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 10:36:35 PM »
I have officially converted to de shaving!, that was a great first shave with a de razor i was expecting to have some more issues with switching to a de but damn that was nice,ive never used a brush and had a proper lather before wow what a difference! The only issue i ran into was of my own doing, i lost track of time and was running a bit late so i foolishly rushed through half of my face and ended up with a good bit of razor burn from pressing down too much i believe. I used the merkur 34c  O0 it worked great and and had good balance it also felt very well made although i have nothing to compare it too other than a mach 3   

Offline agentfortyseven

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 10:38:49 PM »
I agree i'm sure it will not be too long before i start to shave my head with the de also, i was really surprised how well it went for a first go

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 06:21:18 AM »
Congratulations and enjoy!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 09:37:56 AM »
I agree i'm sure it will not be too long before i start to shave my head with the de also, i was really surprised how well it went for a first go

Don't be too cautious about trying it.  I actually used one on my head before trying it on my face.  As long as you don't rush, you'll be fine and it will likely be easier than you think.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 05:35:13 PM »
Hi Agent147:   Congrats on your 1st DE shave.  There is nothing better than a DE or SE shave compared to any cartridge.  Post up some pics and participate in the Safety Razor SOTD Section of the forum.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 07:41:14 AM »
Using a DE is different, you have to forget all the brainwashing that the big companies have taught you over the years.
Lesson 1: Don't add pressure.
2: know the direction(s) your hair grows, it's not the same for everyone.
3: shave with the grain then against then across.
Related- use the proper cutting angle (you'll hear it cutting)
4: pass and stroke aren't the same thing, example it may take you a specific number of strokes to complete each pass.
5: relather before each pass, also you don't need to get every bit of shave cream before moving on.
6: let razor burn heal before shaving again.
7: enjoy
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline agentfortyseven

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 12:57:54 PM »
Thank you guys for all the great advice and support! I look forward to learning a far better way to shave and actually enjoy shaving for once. The distinctive sound of shaving with a de is odd satisfying

Offline dallusglockin

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 12:36:54 PM »
Using a DE is different, you have to forget all the brainwashing that the big companies have taught you over the years.
Lesson 1: Don't add pressure.
2: know the direction(s) your hair grows, it's not the same for everyone.
3: shave with the grain then against then across.
Related- use the proper cutting angle (you'll hear it cutting)
4: pass and stroke aren't the same thing, example it may take you a specific number of strokes to complete each pass.
5: relather before each pass, also you don't need to get every bit of shave cream before moving on.
6: let razor burn heal before shaving again.
7: enjoy
+1 on the good advice!

My biggest problem staying with a DE was the pressure I was applying. I came from a Mach 3 that wasn't punishing if I used my neanderthal strength while shaving my face. The DE will remind you to be "graceful" when you shave. But you'll be rewarded for sure. And it's cheaper than cartridge razors too!

Offline TSE

• Sly Jr.
    • TheShavingEdge.com
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 07:49:34 AM »
agreed +1 on the advice :)

I started with a light weight DE razor.  Having used a cartridge for years, I used to get irritation on the first few DE shaves because of using too much pressure.  the merkur 34c is a hefty razor ... so it kind of feels natural to not add pressure.  I should have started with that :)

Enter your email address: