Author Topic: Will shaving once get rid of dandruff?  (Read 7145 times)

Offline spidey43

• Learning the way of Sly
Will shaving once get rid of dandruff?
« on: October 17, 2014, 03:46:33 PM »
Hey all. I have terribly bad dandruff, and nothing seems to help (except the warm summer months and humidity - and swimming in the ocean). Living in Canada, however, this leaves me to suffer for around 9 months of the year. I gave my head a #4 buzz this spring, which did not seem to help much. I have been considering shaving my head, but if the look does not suit me, I will probably just grow my hair back out again. I assume that shaving my head will cure the dandruff, but will it come back if i shave it once and let it grow back out? and what products should I use on my shaved head to prevent it from coming back? Thanks!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: Will shaving once get rid of dandruff?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 04:01:31 PM »
Shaving on a regular basis does seem to get rid of dandruff for many guys, buy I assume it will just come back once the hair grows back.  It is the daily (or regular) scalp scraping that removes all those dead skin cells, so once you stop, you are back to the same issue.
SlyBeard

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 06:03:16 PM »
Shaving does help me with excess flaking. But they do come back when the shaving stops. If I only use clippers and a #0 cut the flakes are even worst. But a regular razor does the trick. What works real good if needed is a exfoliate such as St. Ives Apricot Scrub.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 06:16:18 PM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 08:32:48 AM »
I had a problem with dandruff before I daily shaved my head but ever since then it has ceased to exist.  Like Magoo said, an exfoliant like St. Ives is good to use.  Shaving itself is an exfoliant too.

Offline spidey43

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 12:59:00 PM »
so you think the problem would continue once I shaved, unless I continued to keep shaving my head? I was thinking that maybe exfoliating of the scalp and letting it "breathe" would kill most of the fungus that lived on the scalp. Are there any treatments that could be done to a shaved scalp that would completely resolve the issue?

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 04:13:19 PM »
I've got the same problem. But dandruff isn't caused by a fungus, it's the oil in the skin that does it. For me the only thing that seems to keep the dandruff away is keeping my scalp shaved. (A number 2 buzz cut helped but didn't completely solve the problem.)
Hair is over rated.

Offline spidey43

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 08:57:45 AM »
I am only 18 years old, and am wondering how many 18 year olds actually have a shaved head? I don't mind standing out, but i don't want everyone to think i'm going through chemo-therapy. I have decided i am definitely shaving my head btw, next week for halloween (i will be going as walter white from breaking bad).