Author Topic: Dream beard?  (Read 18156 times)

Offline wvheadshaver

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Dream beard?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 04:31:36 PM »

I am 23, by the way, if that explains why I may have trouble growing a full goatee exactly like that. Love that look, with the mustache shaved. I tried growing mine out like that for a long while, even dyed it black since my beard is naturally reddish, but I finally let it go last week. It had grown a little odd, and while trying to trim it I overdone it so I let it all go lol. For some reason my mustache still will not connect, my beard only grows up so far and the stache won't grow down to meet it. Guess that will take time as I grow older. The pic below is me while trying to grow my goatee out like the wrestler in the above picture, lol. This is from when I first dyed it, and I made a nice little mess on my skin which took an hour to scrub clean lol. Trying to grow it back out now, wish I had left it alone. Was really getting long & full!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 06:49:29 PM »
I think your goatee looks good. Goatees and separated mustaches are a good look with a shaved head.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 08:12:57 PM »
I agree with Sir Harry.  I think your goat looks good!

Offline wvheadshaver

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 09:15:09 AM »
Thanks! I wish I had left it alone now, it's the worst feeling ever when you have a good sized beard or goat and end up messing it up, and have to wait for it to grow back out again. You guys have probably went through that. For some reason you get the urge to trim it or even shave it and then afterwards you have no earthly idea why you done it lol. It's seriously painful!

I actually have a couple little bald like spots just under my chin, just enough to make it hard to grow a neck line farther down, so having a long goat like that really covered that up and helped out, but it grew a bit differently and not as full on my left side. If I wet it down and kind of mess with it I could get it looking right, but I couldn't help but think my neck line was too short and stupid looking so eventually it got to me. For example, that 1st picture, the wrestler.. I would love to know exactly WHERE to shave your neck line, if you want a goat like that. Up really high or down a bit.. I tried catching glimpses of where his neck line was but I just couldn't make it out in pictures. I think mine was okay though overall, I just never conditioned it or anything like some of you guys do. Is it best to use a beard oil, or some kind of conditioner, to keep a goat kind of trained? That could be where I made my mistake, not using anything.

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 09:48:54 AM »
I wash my beard with the same shampoo that I use on my head.  Currently that's some Herbal Essence.  To keep it in place, I use Short Sexy Hair Quick Change Shaping Balm.  It's meant for the hair on your head, but it works for me.  Keeps the beard in place and feeling soft but doesn't get hard.  I've never tried any beard oils.

As for the neckline, I wouldn't worry about that too much.  Everyone's neckline is different.  Under the chin, I shave my beard about a finger's width above my adam's apple.  For me, that seems to follow my jawline nicely when shaving along the jawline.
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 09:56:18 AM »
Your goatee looked great, and would also look great with a mustache, even if it does not connect.  You actually have very good growth for a 23 year old, or even for any age.  There is no right or wrong necklines on a goatee, they can be all over.  For a full beard I recommend about a finger width above your Adam's Apple. 

But the goatee had looked good on you.  So I suggest you grow back what you had.  I would stick to your natural color - red or redish beards look great.  And my advice on trimming errors - never shave to correct a trimming error.  Just leave it alone and it will repair itself much quicker that shaving and growing back.  Don't spend much time tring to copy someone elses beard, just be proud of the one you have.

Hair dye will stain skin - especially dark colors, but it will fade away in 24 to 36 hours, so no need to scrub it off unless you plan on going out.
SlyBeard

Offline wvheadshaver

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 12:48:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate that! Will definitely look for some of that balm when I can get it grown back out a good length. It's already back to full stubble, so I think i'm going to let it grow a little more before starting to shape it up. That picture was from back in the Summer when I first dyed it. Ended up dying it twice, the last time not too long ago, so it had grown even more from that picture. That was a hassle though, and risky too since I have sensitive skin anyway.. Glad I didn't end up allergic to it, LOL.

I just wish the goat would grow upwards a bit more on the sides, like the guy in the 1st picture, but there at the end it seemed like it was finally starting to pop out here and there up towards my lip. It just takes time though, I guess I am lucky at 23 to even have that much growth. One thing is for sure though, there is nothing worse then having a good full beard/goatee that you love, and then shaving it all, only to regret it. I will remember this terrible feeling next time, that is a fact LOL. Hate looking like a kid, I have no idea what possessed me to clear it all off when I made that trimming error. Live and learn  :'(

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 01:33:03 PM »
The growth will come in time.  I wish I had that full of a growth at 23!  Mine didn't start connecting until my 30's and the beard didn't start really looking right until my 40's, I'm 43 now.  I still wish it would grow fuller, but I'm happy with what I have.  So just keep growing it, and as you age and mature you'll see different patterns in the growth.

Offline wvheadshaver

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 12:11:43 PM »
Thanks and I hear that! Right in the middle of my chin seems to grow slower, it even looks kind of baldish in that spot, but as you can see after awhile it sort of fills in better. It's a bit more then a stubble now, growing good, but going to take awhile to get it that long again lol.

The only thing I hate about a goatee, especially when it gets that long, is trying to keep it shaped up nicely and keep all the stubs/short hairs shaved, without going too far and shaving any of the longer hairs, lol. My neck line isn't a really big deal, that's fairly easy, but it's trying to get the line that runs from beside your mustache, down below your jawbone even and nice that can be a pain. My face is kind of pointy down at the bottom, so I can't exactly run the razor from beside my mustache down to my neck in a line that easy. I usually do okay but I sure wouldn't want to slip and make a bald spot, LOL. Or maybe one of those Gillette's with the ball that moves would help out, especially with those weird contours. I trimmed it up today and did okay, maybe a bit shorter than I should have so I think i'll leave it alone for a good while and shape it up later when it's more full.

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 02:29:25 PM »
Bro, you know who you look like, Scott Ian from Anthrax.  Check out his goatee.  It's shaved straight across and has some good length to it.

Offline wvheadshaver

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 09:41:26 AM »
LOL Wow that's true I never even realized that, lol. I should let it grow out like that and see how long it will get, at least all i'd have to do is trim it if I ever got sick of it. I don't know about shaving it straight, knowing me I would slip and gap it haha. That's crazy lol!

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 10:01:29 AM »
You should do it bro!  Be signing autographs as Scott Ian, hahaha!

Offline wvheadshaver

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 10:15:35 AM »
LOL I hear that, it'd be this time next year before it got that long, maybe this post would still be here & I could bump it up with my new picture hahah. I should have let it grown and registered on here as a "Scott" LOL.

Offline beardbald

• Sly
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2015, 12:09:12 PM »
I've had a beard for years bit it's always been long stubble. Growing it out now and my aim is Daughtry's current look

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2015, 04:12:26 PM »
Wow, didn't realize Daughtry had let his beard get so substantial...but he pulls it off.