Author Topic: My hair is starting to thin...  (Read 28791 times)

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
Re: My hair is starting to thin...
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 11:27:16 AM »
Even if you do just go for a crewcut or a nice high fade buzzcut - remember the 30 day rule.  Because at first the "change" alone will tell your brain to reject the image/regret the change.  But after only a few days your brain "accepts" the new image.  You will regard it as just a new hairstyle and you will be able to evaluate it with some objectivity.

After 30 days you will be able to make a rationale "choice" about what to do next; (keep the high fade, grow it back long, or test fly a full shave as long has you are already short, etc.).

02kpjw@gmail.com

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 12:54:39 PM »
I think that your are worrying too much about your hair.  You have a great head of hair, and unless you are really losing so fast and your hair line is really depleting, I would keep the hair and hold off the bald look for awhile.
If you really feel self-conscious, then I would get a real close buzz ( a 00 ) from your hair stylist.  Then see if you want to go all the way to BBC.  If so, go for it.  I did the 00 and on the next Monday I went all the way and have not had any regrets since.  It has been  months.   

So I would say to help you feel better about yourself, try it.  You can always grow back your hair.

Good Luck

nyjrb

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 02:00:09 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone! I was thinking about trying a circle beard (a mustache and goatee) but I don't know how that would look, any thoughts?
...I suggest you do shave before MPB kicks in completely though.
How much hair loss would you consider "before MPB kicks in completely"? I just want to know what to look for.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 12:48:54 PM »
How much hair loss would you consider "before MPB kicks in completely"? I just want to know what to look for.

That is a question that is up to the person.  Several guys here kept a donut or horseshoe for years before going sly, and some like me immediately went sly when thinning was just starting to be noticeable.  The guys that waited almost all say they should have done it sooner.  Your photos show that you still have enough hair that thinning is not really noticeable unless you walk aound holding your hair up to expose the thin area(s).  But if it is botherring you to the point you worry about, go ahead and go sly.  These days, sly is popular even with young guys that still have hair.  No one will give it a second thought.

As to the facial hair, any facial hair goes well with a sly head, and my opinion is the more facial hair you have the better it looks.  Circle beards are also popular with a sly head.  You can always switch it up as well.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:54:20 PM by slybeard »
SlyBeard

Offline Cy

• Super Sly
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 07:46:39 AM »
Unless you want to make a preemptive strike before it recedes to a noticeable degree, I think your hairline looks fairly full. It's not receding at the temples, so it just looks like a high hairline.

Do what makes you happy.

nyjrb

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 07:24:59 PM »
Unless you want to make a preemptive strike before it recedes to a noticeable degree, I think your hairline looks fairly full. It's not receding at the temples, so it just looks like a high hairline.

Do what makes you happy.

Thanks, I think it looks thin. I wish I knew what norwood I was. Any ideas?

Offline njbill

• Sly
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 07:58:49 AM »
Your not even on the chart yet Iirc a Norwood 1 is receded temples.....I see nothing noticeable here

Offline tofur99

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2014, 06:04:54 PM »
Honestly dude, unless your hairloss is very aggressive, you've got years left.  I'm 25 and my hairline is wrecked, yours looks 100% to me.  Enjoy your hair while you still have it, soon enough you won't have the choice.

nyjrb

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 05:10:37 PM »
Honestly dude, unless your hairloss is very aggressive, you've got years left.  I'm 25 and my hairline is wrecked, yours looks 100% to me.  Enjoy your hair while you still have it, soon enough you won't have the choice.
Thanks but my hairline is not 100%, although I wish it was. This is my hairline now, with thinning. I had a full hairline at this time last year. Is that aggressive?

Offline SWvic

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2014, 05:16:30 PM »
Maybe assertive... Not aggressive ;-)

You've definitely got a growing forehead but the temples are still there. Might just be a natural realignment all men get.

nyjrb

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2014, 01:27:31 AM »
Haha, I hope that's all it's doing. I just don't see many guys thin like this, I tend to see the M type hairlines, so I don't know what to expect.

Offline SWvic

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2014, 02:04:38 AM »
But honestly, dude, if you're worried and already asking the questions, just give shaving it a go.  There's this wide-held paranoia that a super short or bald haircut is the most drastic thing anyone can ever do... It's really not! Hair grows back really fast.  And you mentioned that you've never had your hair cut really short before, so you may be new to this... But as someone who spent his entire life switching hairstyles and getting bored some days and just buzzing the lot off, the weekly maintenance of really short hair is testament to how quickly your hair will get back to style-able.

And, as I and others have said, you're probs not going bald.  BUT we're not doctors (well, not all of us)... you might lose it all, and this is a great way to see how you look sly.  And for what it's worth, you've got a good head shape and you'll totally rock the look  O0

Offline Oracle

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2014, 04:00:45 AM »
You still have enough hair left to have the option of trying a few different styles before shaving it all off if that's what you finally decide to do.  I think you will look fine shaved, but you still have enough hair to pull off several other short styles, Cesar, Ivy League, fades, flatops, buzzes, etc.

Take a little time and enjoy what you have now, just don't hold on to a few ridiculous strands thinking theres more there than there really is, but you are a long way from that situation at this time.

Oracle

nyjrb

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2014, 01:54:44 PM »
Take a little time and enjoy what you have now, just don't hold on to a few ridiculous strands thinking theres more there than there really is, but you are a long way from that situation at this time.

Oracle
If I end up a norwood 5,6 or 7 I'd shave it off, like my dad did, with out a doubt. I just don't think a horseshoe fringe would look good on my beanpole frame, haha.  I think my dad looks good when he keeps it close to his head, and I wouldn't mind looking like him when I'm older. But he also has a stocky, stout build so I think it fits. Who knows, maybe by the time my hair is gone I' will have filled out a bit lol.
I just hate the idea of being a balding guy now,  but I'm weird with meds so I fear taking fin even though I hear it helps.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 11:36:04 AM »
I would keep the full, short, beard.