Author Topic: Help with fine line between tanning and burning!  (Read 2763 times)

Offline SWvic

• Sly Jr.
Help with fine line between tanning and burning!
« on: August 29, 2014, 05:35:29 PM »
So bit of help requested from all you wise slies  O0

My head is still bright white on top (I'm on day 7) and I've been out in the sun... but with sunscreen... So my question is: what is the window of tanning before I start burning??? I love the smooth dome but I don't want it all red and flaky... that'd sorta ruin the look!

Offline rss114

• Sly
  • Finally Sly
Re: Help with fine line between tanning and burning!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 05:48:29 PM »
Obviously since I'm not sly yet I'm no expert but if your using SPF 30 try us ring less SPF maybe try going down to SPF 15?

Offline SWvic

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 05:53:36 PM »
I don't think you can buy that in Australia... It's all 50+ here!

But I was more thinking of bare-heading in the sun, and then sunscreening after like 20mins... or is this WRONG!?

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 12:38:56 AM »
The length of time you can take the sun without sunscreen is really very dependent on your skin.  Since it is winter in the southern hemisphere you're not getting as direct sun as we are here in the northern hemisphere.  Still, be careful.  Don't try to tan too quickly.  I use the same lotions on my shaved head as I do on my face.  Many of them have a sun protection factor of SPF15.  Google Kiehl's on the internet.  I use one of their lotions every day.  I notice that for Australia the SPF is higher than in the USA.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Adamski1972

• Super Sly
  • Bald and bold!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 01:31:35 AM »
In my case I stuck with an SPF of at least 30 and only about 30 mins of direct sunlight at a time. It took a few weeks but was worth the slow and careful approach. A burnt scalp is not cool! I did find it frustrating that it takes a while but a few people suggests this method and I think they were right. The end result is worth the wait.

Offline SWvic

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 03:40:10 PM »
Thanks guys I'll give it a go... I'm just impatient!!!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 07:21:05 PM »
Thanks guys I'll give it a go... I'm just impatient!!!

You've got the rest of your life to enjoy being bald. No rush now. 

Are your winters cold enough to warrant a hat or cap while you are out? Or is it still mostly above freezing? 

I'd be extra careful if you are in direct sunlight for extended periods of time. At the beach, or on water especially can be brutal for sunburn summer and winter.  But if you have filtered light or are moving in and out of direct light, you're probably OK.

Offline SWvic

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 07:29:51 PM »
Well I live in southern Australia... temp never drops below freezing, but I have worn a beanie a couple of times because the wind chill got a bit much  :-[

Extended sunlight's not so much an issue here in winter, but Australian summers are BRUTAL... I'll just take advantage of whatever winter sun I can get at the moment...

And yes, I'm gonna enjoy being bald for a while *rubs dome*  O0

Offline Cap

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 07:03:08 AM »
I've been trying the 30 min a day method SWvic. Went with a no guard for about a month before going sly thinking that would give me some color on my done, but it didn't work. Ha
I did find out you need to put sunscreen on your face and ears also... A burnt face makes the head look even whiter!!!  8) HAHA

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 12:36:26 PM »
haha, Cap!  You made a good point:  a burnt face and a white head is not good either. 

Swvic,  I would say you should be pretty safe going without sun block on your head for brief periods of time in the winter. 

Enter your email address: