Author Topic: Took the plunge!!!  (Read 7723 times)

Offline Cap

• Sly Jr.
Re: Took the plunge!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 06:41:23 PM »
Finally received my Jagger. Beautiful razor. Pictures don't do it justice.
I loaded it up with a Murkar Platinum, jagger brush and Jagger soap and went at it. I didn't get a good lather, something I have to practice, but the shave was great!
I had plans to just go WTG and then use my Mach for against. But it went so good I lathered back up and went at it ATG. Wow. Talk about close.
It is a lot more aggressive than a Mach.  I can tell it will take my dome a little bit to get used to it.
But it's not as difficult as I thought it would be. If it's not cutting, then the angle is wrong. I did find out that it will cut you. But not too bad this time. :)

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 02:10:38 PM »
I found the same thing. SHaving with a DE was not as scary as I thought. Slow and steady with little pressure has kept me mostly nick free. When I do have a mishap, it's usually when I am daydreaming or in a hurry.
Bronx bald and bred!

02kpjw@gmail.com

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 03:16:25 PM »
What shaving device is it you are talking about.  Is it a razor?  I am very interested so let me know and where to get it.
Thanks

Offline Cap

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 03:41:23 PM »
The razor I'm using is a Edwin Jagger DE89bl,
 http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003LW4L2W?pc_redir=1411025152&robot_redir=1.
I got mine in a set that had a brush and stand.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 04:51:46 PM »
02, we're talking about double edge safety razors, what our dads or granddads probably used.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Cap

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 07:36:30 PM »
I've been shaving with my Jagger every day since receiving it. Trying different techniques and razors. I usually go WRG then XTG with safety razor and then ATG with Mach 3. I've been going ATG the last week with Razor, but would have to go back with the Mach and get all that I missed. The one thing I've learned is that all the razors shave differently. The ones I've found that I like are Murkor, Astra and Dorco. Derby and Feather is unusable to me for some reason.
Today was the very first day I tried the Dorco 301's and didn't have to use my Mach 3. It's probably has more to do with just getting experience with DE shaving. But for a low cost razor, Dorcos are great.
One more day closer to tossing the cartrages!!!

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 01:48:07 AM »
I would love to stick with a DE 100% but for now that is a no no. Been using a DE for quite some time now but i do find the Mach 3 an easier shave as no worries about cuts etc however hard i go!

I always tend to be a bit nervous with the DE but that is only ever at the front of my head, by the front sides as that is where i tend to cut myself with a DE. I wont give up with a DE though as it does give a close shave. I have lots of different blades and do try dif ones now and again. I am careful to not press with the DE, only letting the weight of the razor do the work. This i dont have to worry about with the Mach 3.

Just went a couple days without shaving head and hated it!! Shaved this morning with the Mach 3 and so much better.

Guys, have to just say, this forum is awesome!! You are such a great bunch of guys. God bless you all!!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 05:57:43 AM »
Thanks Cap, I haven't tried the Dorco,s yet. I agree with you Goatee, and I enjoy your posts.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 07:36:55 AM »
Hi Cap:  Glad that you are enjoying your safety razor journey.  Kindly post some pics in the Safety Razor Section of the Forum.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Cap

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 12:33:10 PM »
I'll try to Mel. Haven't done the pic thing on here. I use my phone.

Offline Cap

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 12:38:33 PM »
Something I've found useful while starting out with a DE... I've gotten nicks and burns since starting. The best thing to do is not shave and let them heal. But who likes to walk around without being sly?!? So I use a technique I've named The Safe Shave. I go WTG the XTG both ways. Then I skip the ATG for a few shaves till I heal up. I can still feel the stubble, but it's not see-able right away.
Hope that helps. :)

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 01:00:06 PM »
I don't Nick myself often, but if I do, I put a fingertip on it and try to shave around it.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2014, 01:13:06 PM »
Alum block is good for nicks

Offline Cap

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2014, 07:33:16 PM »
Just an update on all that's been going on. Shaving has been great. Trying lots of soaps and blades. The top 3 blades in interchange are Kai, Astra and Feather. Also use the Personna's but have to use mild soaps with it, very aggressive blade for me. Looking at getting a Semogue Boar and a Whipped Dog Silver Tip Badger.

The soaps I've been using are DR Harris and a Cube soap that has a honey scent. And the Old Town of Bond Street is a great scent, but I've been leaning toward soaps account better shaves.  I have Barrister and Mann Bay Rum coming in. The soaps I'm wanting to try are P160 by Razorock, Cello, Senergy, Arko, Mikes Natural soaps and Sterling.

Also shopping for another razor. Maybe a 34C or the Weber. Short and heavy.

Thanks for all the info you guys have given me so far. Shaving has become my Zen.

Still going daily!