Author Topic: Took the plunge!!!  (Read 7712 times)

Offline Cap

• Sly Jr.
Took the plunge!!!
« on: September 07, 2014, 06:42:11 PM »
Just ordered me a Edwin Jagger DE89L for the dome. It came in a set, so I'll get their brush, soap and stand. Also ordered shave secret and a 50 razor variety pack. And a case of band aids! So hopefully that'll get me started.

I was looking at the Merkur razors, and there was a lot of good reviews, but so many people use the EJ that I figured it's got to be a good one to start with. It might take a bit to get good at, but don't they all. And, knowing me, I'll be buying another later on for variety.

Should get it next week, so I'll post my adventures with it. For the mean time, gotta catch up on the how-to videos and secrets of the art.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
Re: Took the plunge!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 08:18:27 PM »
That was my first one; I started DE shaving last February.  It's a beauty.  For me, the learning curve wasn't too steep.  I paid attention to the guys here - don't apply pressure - let the razor do the work.  And small slow strokes worked for me. 

I was lucky - never really cut myself much.  I started on my face but soon went for the head.  My first shaves were so-so.  There were times I thought of going back to my Mach 3, but fortunately I didn't quit.  Now I am getting amazing shaves and really enjoy the process to boot.

Since that first purchase I've bought 2 vintage Gillettes, which I love, and also a Pearl - a brand I never heard of but saw on Amazon.  I am a sucker for good looks and a reasonable price.

Have fun, Cap!

Bronx bald and bred!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 09:17:08 AM »
Hi Cap:  Congrats on taking the plunge on the traditional way of shaving.  Keep us posted on your journey.  You can PM me or post up any questions.  You got a great razor in the EJ89L. 

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 05:41:28 AM »
I used to have one of those. Nice Razor

Been using a Mach 3 for ages now as had no DE as sold my EJ. Ordered a Progress today so i will be back to DE shaving soon!

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 07:27:05 PM »
It takes more time, but once you've got it figured out than you can speed up the process. Everyone has varied hair growth so figure out which ways your hair grows. Go with the grain for a few weeks to get adjusted to the process before venturing into the against the grain territory.
It may seem intimidating at first but I assure you it's actually safer than other methods of shaving.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline tmarion

• Sly Guy in Training
    • SirHare
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 11:52:56 PM »
I had been lurking in the DE world for months thinking about taking the plunge and did about a month back.  Purchased an M8 from Maggards and something like 35 different types of blades to try out. 

First shave didn't go too well and each shave since gets better.  I'm still far from a pro and go back to using my fusion when I need a quick shave.  I'm committed and will get my technique perfected.

SirHare.com

Offline Cap

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 04:08:48 PM »
What types of products and routine have you used so far tmarion? I just received my variety pack of blades today, but still waiting on the jagger to arrive.
Thanks for the advice. :)

I've been using the Mach3 so far. I found a mole on the back of my head the other day. It wasn't good. Talk about bleeding. Thought I'd never get it to stop. Now I'm slowing down more and taking my time, and staying away from the gash until it heals. :-/
Also waking up earlier in the morning preparing myself for the extra time I know I'll need for the DE shaving that starts next week.
Still reading everyone's posts and watching vids.

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »
A RazoRock alum block helps seal up cuts, In my early days I used to need it more often but not as much these days now that I'm a vet.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 06:09:51 PM »
@Cap & Tmarion:  Congrats on entering the traditional way of shaving.  It took me about a week to get comfortable with my face shaves and about a month to get comfortable with my head shaves.  Patience, good prep, no pressure on razor/blade, good prep, and did I say good prep will help out.  Good prep is neglected.  Remember to take it slow and do not rush.  Above all enjoy the process of the traditional way of shaving.  Keep us posted.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 02:18:08 AM »
As for the mole, i had one on the side of my head which bled so i had it sliced off! Massive difference now as can relax shaving that area.

Offline Cap

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 05:28:28 AM »
That's a good idea Goatee!!!! I'll get the doc to get it next time I'm in. Thanks. :)

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 05:32:09 AM »
Great. Took a week to heal and then tender shaving but after a very short time i was shaving normal. Such a relief!

02kpjw@gmail.com

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 03:40:35 PM »
Congrats -  also the goatee is great.  I have had mine now for 3 months and finally like it.
Although salt and pepper, it looks better than the few times I used just for men beard.

Offline Cap

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 08:52:25 PM »
Thanks 02. Yeah, I no like just go men. El natural is always better. :)

Offline Cap

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 11:45:39 AM »
The Jagger should be coming today. So I'm waiting to shave.
Question: can you use wet soap and brush with a Mach 3. I was going to shave with DE WTG and then use the Mach ATG till I get used to the DE. Will the Mach work?

Enter your email address: