Author Topic: How often to replace razors  (Read 4014 times)

bald Luck14

How often to replace razors
« on: August 11, 2014, 02:15:42 PM »
I currently use Gillette fusion daily to shave and I can never seem to tell exactly when the blades start to get dull. So about how often should razors be replaced?

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: How often to replace razors
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 03:43:05 PM »
I have a somewhat odd shaving routine.  I use my Panasonic Linear Wet or Dry shaver in the shower, then I shave with my Fusion.  I only need to change the blade once a month.

I think if I were using just the blade I'd change it once a week.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 09:10:53 AM »
Fusion are far too expensive to change once a week. Supposedly the moisture strip turns white when it's time to change the blade, but in my experience that was 3 to 5 days of shaving. As a daily shave that was just fiscally irresponsible.
Through the fine fellows here I discovered the challenging yet rewarding and cost effective path of shaving with a double edge safety razor.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 09:41:04 AM »
Fusion are far too expensive to change once a week. Supposedly the moisture strip turns white when it's time to change the blade, but in my experience that was 3 to 5 days of shaving. As a daily shave that was just fiscally irresponsible.
Through the fine fellows here I discovered the challenging yet rewarding and cost effective path of shaving with a double edge safety razor.

Pretty much same story.  I have really thick hair, and other than some thinning on top, I still have a lot of it.  I would get 3 - 4 shaves out of a cartridge going WTG / XTG only.  If I went ATG it was only a couple of shaves.  I recently moved to DE razors, and now it's no big deal if I only get 2 - 3 shaves out of a blade.

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 04:09:45 PM »
I change out my Mach 3 cartridge once a week.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 04:23:23 PM »
For my head I change the blade every Monday.  For my face I change it every other Monday.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Fondlheine

• Sly Jr.
  • Lost in the wreckage...
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
For me, it's always been "How is the razor cutting"?

If it starts to tug and not slice off the whiskers, time to change.
If it sounds like it's working, and it's not - time to change.

Use 'em until they don't work anymore.