Author Topic: Feather Popular vs Merkur 37c Slant size  (Read 5346 times)

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
Feather Popular vs Merkur 37c Slant size
« on: July 19, 2014, 05:30:40 PM »
I just got my new Merkur 37c slant in the mail.  Of course it arrived 10 minutes after I was done shaving.  I went with the standard handle length on the slant because I always seem to choke up on the Popular.  When I looked at these two side by side I thought the contrast was pretty comical. 

It will probably be a few days before I have time to shave with the slant for the first time.  I want to make sure I can give it the respect I've heard it deserves.  I'll post an update later on how it goes.

Offline Fondlheine

• Sly Jr.
  • Lost in the wreckage...
Re: Feather Popular vs Merkur 37c Slant size
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 05:56:34 PM »
I have a few slants and love 'em all.
They're a little different from a regular razor, but It's a fairly easy thing to adapt to.
The only thing I don't like about my merkurs is there's a little overhang on the sides from the blade, be careful, even the side of a razor blade is sharp...

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 04:24:24 PM »
@GWS:  You are going to love the 37c.  I love mine.  Looking forward to your mini-review.  Nice pic of both razors but you are going to find that the 37c if the superior razor. 

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 06:54:00 AM »
First shave with the slant this morning.  Loaded it up with a fresh Derby.  I know people swear by a sharper blade in the slant, but I was still a little intimidated.  No nicks and zero irritation, although it's definitely going to take some getting used to.

I'm not sure yet if I like it as much as the Popular on my face.  Didn't really seem to get any closer and irritated my neckline a little.

As far as the head shave, I don't feel like aggressive or fear are the right words to use when describing it.  I think the appropriate words are efficient and respect.  I used a very light touch (probably a little too light) and took my time, and I had almost zero irritation and somewhere between CCS and DFS in 3 passes.  The same shave would have probably taken me 4 passes plus touch up with the Popular, and would have resulted in at least some mild irritation.

There are some differences that it might take me a while to get used to.  I think the blade angle with relation to the head is a little different.  It's certainly heavier than the Popular.  I'm also not decided on whether or not I like the shorter handle.  When using the Popular, I do tend to choke up on it quite a bit, but there still seems to be quite a difference between choking up on a 4 inch handle and just using a 3 inch handle.

Time will tell, so I'll try and give an update in another week or so, but so far, I do really like the slant for head shaves.  I'll have to try some ATG passes before making a decision.  I've heard that's really where the slant excels.

Offline Fondlheine

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 09:47:41 AM »
The 37c has a big brother, the 39c (which is also known as the Slanthammer). 
It has a longer handle and is heavier, the slant angle is the same.

Honestly, I like the shorter handle for the head part of the shave, I don't really care about handle length on my face.

The iKon slant's handle is right between the 37 and 39's handle length, but the slant angle and weight are way different.

As to the blade, I've used lab blue's, med prep's, astra, personna red and feather - honestly they all performed well in the slants.

One I'm hunting for is a Hoffritz Super Slant - it's angle is nuts...

Offline Fondlheine

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 08:14:48 PM »
I took a couple of shots of the slants I have for comparisons..

And this shows the head angle change between the merkur and the iKon

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 09:07:26 PM »
I went with the shorter handle because I tended to choke up on my Feather Popular anyway.  I've heard the Ikon slants are very smooth.  I've seen pics of that Hoffritz.  Looks intense.  I think I'd like to try an OC at some point too.  I've heard very good things about the vintage NEWs in all styles.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 11:25:59 PM »
The 39C is not known as the "Slanthammer"  but it is known as the "Sledgehammer".

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 11:27:53 PM »
@Fond:  I have the iKON 1st generation Slant.  How do you compare the iKON DLC Slant? 

WARHAWK O0

Offline Fondlheine

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 08:57:50 AM »
@Fond:  I have the iKON 1st generation Slant.  How do you compare the iKON DLC Slant? 

WARHAWK O0

I don't have a gen 1 iKon, but from what I've read on it, the heads are identical in the angles and blade gap, but they did change the handle angle slightly.

Offline Fondlheine

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 09:00:33 AM »
The 39C is not known as the "Slanthammer"  but it is known as the "Sledgehammer".

WARHAWK O0

I've seen it both ways - I like the slanthammer (and that's my story and I'm sticking to it   ;D)

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 12:14:36 PM »
CCS and DFS What do they mean?

I found the 37c almost similar to the EJD89L, as far as i was concerned. Sold them both and waiting to buy a Progress as i like the idea of an adjustable.

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 12:59:28 PM »
CCS and DFS What do they mean?

I found the 37c almost similar to the EJD89L, as far as i was concerned. Sold them both and waiting to buy a Progress as i like the idea of an adjustable.

CCS = Close, Comfortable Shave.  You can probably feel some stubble in every direction except WTG, but you had zero discomfort.
DFS = Damn Fine Shave.  No stubble felt except in ATG direction.

I just won an EJDE89 in a PIF, so I'll be able to comment on your observation in a few weeks.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 01:43:08 PM »
Whenever i shave, i always have some roughness when feeling against the grain! Some patches are impossible to get smooth!