Author Topic: Brief Intro  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Baldy84

• Learning the way of Sly
Brief Intro
« on: July 05, 2014, 09:58:05 AM »
I've lurked here for a while, and today I decided to join, so I'd better make a brief introduction.

I guess you can say I'm Bald By Choice, since I'm not severely balding. I have some thinning on top, as well as a round natural bald spot I've had since birth or very early childhood (it could be either a form of alopecia or just a spot where hair never decided to grow). I've shaved off and on for several years now, and now I'm back to bald after about a two year break. I just enjoy being bald, although I struggle with confidence sometimes when family members give me a hard time, or when I'm not sure what other people think and assume they don't like it.

I don't think I've ever done the 30-day challenge straight through for 30 days consecutively, mainly because my head gets irritated. Every other day is my current shaving schedule.

Anyway, greetings and glad to be here!  :)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Brief Intro
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 10:16:52 AM »
I've lurked here for a while, and today I decided to join, so I'd better make a brief introduction.

I guess you can say I'm Bald By Choice, since I'm not severely balding. I have some thinning on top, as well as a round natural bald spot I've had since birth or very early childhood (it could be either a form of alopecia or just a spot where hair never decided to grow). I've shaved off and on for several years now, and now I'm back to bald after about a two year break. I just enjoy being bald, although I struggle with confidence sometimes when family members give me a hard time, or when I'm not sure what other people think and assume they don't like it.

I don't think I've ever done the 30-day challenge straight through for 30 days consecutively, mainly because my head gets irritated. Every other day is my current shaving schedule.

Hi B84:   Welcome to the sly fraternity.  Glad that you joined us.  Whatever it takes to get through the 30 day challenge whether it is shaving every day, every other day, or every 3 days.  The main thing is to keep the sly look for 30 days.  Keep us posted and we hope that you become an active member.  What's your 1st name?  What razor and blade you use?  What soap?  or cream?

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 11:43:25 AM »
Welcome. I like the shine.  Whether you feel confident or not, you LOOK confident.

For the 30 day rule ... you don't have to shave every day, but you want to shave consistently.

You might want to go 'lighter' with the razor to reduce irritation of the scalp.

You might follow up the shave with a good skin cream or lotion. I like coconut oil with essential oils for fragrance.

Warhawk like Osage rub.  (it's really cold).

Almost forgot to say,  it's good to have another BBC guy on here.  If I skip shaving for a few days, people notice that I have a full head of hair.  Don't like to skip too often.  But I do go through razor blades faster than a guy with nothing on top. 

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 11:45:32 AM by mrzed »

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 12:23:41 PM »
Hi Baldy,

Sly really does look good on you. Try not to let your parents and older folks affect your confidence too much. They are just used to you a certain way. That thirty day rule is as much for them as it is for you!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Baldy84

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 03:35:14 PM »

Hi B84:   Welcome to the sly fraternity.  Glad that you joined us.  Whatever it takes to get through the 30 day challenge whether it is shaving every day, every other day, or every 3 days.  The main thing is to keep the sly look for 30 days.  Keep us posted and we hope that you become an active member.  What's your 1st name?  What razor and blade you use?  What soap?  or cream?

WARHAWK O0

The first name is Clayton. I usually use a regular Mach 3 or multi-blade Gillette of some kind. I'll experiment with different creams and soaps. A lot of times I just use regular soap. I've even experimented with body wash, conditioner, and shampoo. I'm not really too picky about what I use -- but maybe I should be more picky. I know I should probably use a good moisturizer the more often I shave, so that the scalp doesn't dry out as easily.

Offline Baldy84

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 03:43:28 PM »
Welcome. I like the shine.  Whether you feel confident or not, you LOOK confident.

For the 30 day rule ... you don't have to shave every day, but you want to shave consistently.

You might want to go 'lighter' with the razor to reduce irritation of the scalp.

You might follow up the shave with a good skin cream or lotion. I like coconut oil with essential oils for fragrance.

Warhawk like Osage rub.  (it's really cold).

Almost forgot to say,  it's good to have another BBC guy on here.  If I skip shaving for a few days, people notice that I have a full head of hair.  Don't like to skip too often.  But I do go through razor blades faster than a guy with nothing on top.

Well, if the 30-day rule doesn't have to be every day, then I've probably done it at least once. I know I've gained confidence with time. I think the key really is to not let others' opinions sway you -- if you like it, go for it. You definitely can't please everyone, and if you try, you'll be going back and forth, because not everyone likes the same things.

I've shaved "with" and "against" the grain. I know if I go "with", I'd be able to shave more often, because it's not as close a shave. But "against" is definitely smoother.

Three or four days is the most I'll go between shaves. I don't mind a little stubble, and I've noticed I get a better shave when I do have a couple days' stubble. But I don't like to let it get too wild and free (otherwise it IS a tougher shave)... :)

Offline Baldy84

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 03:48:05 PM »
Hi Baldy,

Sly really does look good on you. Try not to let your parents and older folks affect your confidence too much. They are just used to you a certain way. That thirty day rule is as much for them as it is for you!

Thanks! As I said in my last post, I've found that you just have to decide what you want and go for it. Relying on others' opinions and overthinking things will just make you indecisive and miserable. I think the toughest part of gaining confidence is when you're still in the stage when you're not used to the change yet. If you don't feel comfortable or normal in your own skin, you're bound to be more self-conscious.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 05:26:24 PM »
Welcome to the Forum! You look like a natural!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 08:15:52 PM »
Welcome1  I've been bald by choice since late January.  If you enjoy being smooth, then that is really all that matters.  For what it's worth, however, I think chrome dome certainly suits you.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 10:18:49 PM »
I've found that you just have to decide what you want and go for it. Relying on others' opinions and overthinking things will just make you indecisive and miserable.

Very wise outlook, sir. I wish more men who want to try smooth could think like that. This board has had so many posts from guys who are so worried about what someone else thinks or will say that they never get to the point of making the choice and going through with it. It really is amazing to me how much energy is wasted with anxiety over something like hair.

Glad you joined us!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 10:20:21 PM by Cave Dweller »
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 05:06:25 AM »
Welcome Clayton.

As you've learned, you really need to listen to yourself and be true to yourself. Others will have their opinions and possibly well-meaning suggestions. But ultimately it's up to you to decide what is best for you. Own it and live your life. You'll be happier and stronger because of it.

Oh ... and the shaved look? Definitely works for you. Embrace it!
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 06:49:17 AM »
If I'm shaving daily, I can just start out ATG.  But if I skip a day or two, I start with an older blade and shave WTG first.  That mows down the done.  Then shave again ATG with a new or nearly new blade for the smooth finish.

You are right, it's easier to get a smoother shave when you have several days worth of stubble. But I don't like the stubble too much; smooth feels so much better, that I usually just do smooth, daily shave. But don't beat yourself up over it.  Just keep your hair very short. 

Looks good.