Author Topic: Simplicity  (Read 2037 times)

Offline shootinfool73

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Hi
Simplicity
« on: June 17, 2014, 11:09:39 PM »
Hi all...  just joined the site, and just started shaving a few weeks ago...  the info on here is great...thanks to all who've helped me get started without knowing it while I was "lurking"... ;D

I started with Gillette Edge Gel and a Mach 3... because I didnt want to 'waste' my good shaving cream for the face (Taylor of old Bond Street).  Only used that a couple times, then got a headblade and Headslick.  Both are good, though the headblade doesnt seem to be the right tool for around the ears and doesnt get as close as the Mach 3 (IMO), so my "regimen" for now is the headblade across the top and back with headslick, then finishing up the ears and anywhere I feel rough areas with the Mach 3.  I sometimes shave with a DE.... but no way in hell I'm going to do that on my head (I have a hard enough time not getting cuts or razor burn when I use it on my face where I can see the blade...lol) :(

But I'm all about simplicity, so to be honest, I'd LIKE to settle on one cream and maybe one razor for the whole head and face, and if lucky even save some $$$.   I know a lot of people like to shave in the shower, some using various shaving creams and others using hair conditioner, but that's not for me... I'd rather just do it in the mirror while shaving the face.   

I just ordered a tube of Proraso to try it for the first time as well...will see how I like that in comparison.  I dont like the headslick on the face, but dont think the TOBS is quite as good on the head.   I also use baby oil now as a moisturizer and "shine" afterwards, but am about to try the headblade Matte and Glossy Lubes to compare.

Anyone have a single choice for both head and face they like the best?
Thanks!!!!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Simplicity
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 11:14:48 PM »
Welcome, SF73! I flip-flop between Headslick and shaving soaps myself....but have you ever heard of Shave Secret preshave oil? (sold at WalMart for $4). Add a few drops to whatever you use and mix it with a brush real good and it will be effective on both head and face (granted I have a beard, but it still gives me a close shave underneath) Glad to see you come out of lurker status, enjoy the forum!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline shootinfool73

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Hi
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 11:29:42 PM »
Thanks SIr Harry...

No never used it..   I used to have some pre-shave oil from art of shaving I was given a while back as a gift  that I never finished using.  I never mixed preshave oil with creams before (I always was told to use it first only), but that sounds like a plan..   I'll try it with the TOBS or maybe Proraso as a starter. 

Sounds like you wouldnt mix that with something like headslick though....that stuff is a pretty good lube to begin with, I wouild think.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 12:15:42 AM »
Adding my "welcome" to the crowd.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 03:55:52 AM »
I do add it to Headslick......For me personally, adding Shave Secret to pretty much any soap, gel, etc. is like adding my favorite seasoning to my favorite food if you know what I mean...
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 04:20:22 PM »
Welcome, Shootinfool73! 

You started with the product I use... Gillette Edge Gel and Mach 3.  If works for me.  You have already tried more products than I have.  I'm about as simple as they get when it comes to shaving.  lol. 

Offline shootinfool73

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Hi
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 12:37:21 AM »
Thanks slymyke.... at the end of the day I may well find myself circling back around to the same.  I already recognize the Mach 3 as the CLOSER shaver -- noticed that from the first couple shaves with the headblade.   

Gonna definitely try the mixing pre-shave oil with the cream next time...see how that goes...

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 12:09:10 PM »
Welcome SF73. I use headslick with a few drops of shavers secret myself. It works great. I use headblade lube glossy as an after shave it it does give a pretty good shine to my noggin. You look great sly.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 12:10:33 PM »
 also use head slick which I like. I use it regularly.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 12:24:23 PM »
If you want simple, just stop shaving your face and concentrate on the scalp shaving.  I use Headslick and Personna M5 razor.  Harder to find, but a lot cheaper.  I get mine on Amazon.
SlyBeard

Offline EarlBald

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 05:54:02 PM »
Welcome, "ShootinFool"--

I use the Headblade and Headslick for my scalp, regular shaving cream and a generic five-blade razor for the face.  Headblade seems to get my scalp the smoothest.  Yours looks great--very smooth and very shiny.  You look terrific with a clean-shaved dome.