Author Topic: Hair clipper vs hair trimmer vs beard trimmer... what's the difference?  (Read 9661 times)

Offline SweSly

• Learning the way of Sly
Hey,
I'm thinking of shaving my head because I've been balding horribly - and horribly fast - the last year. I want to buy a shaving machine to cut my hair but I'm pretty damn confused. For example, what is the difference between a hair clipper and a hair trimmer? And why shouldn't I use a beard trimmer to cut my hair? I mean, if it also could be used to cut hair it would have been marketed as such = more people will buy it. I have seen some beard trimmers that go from 15mm to 0.5 mm, that sounds perfect if you want a closely shaved head. And yet it is only for beards?

Also, could you recommend a good brand/product for me to buy?  I'm from Europe so make sure it's a European product (I wanted to buy the "Peanut" machine from Amazon but saw that it is made for American voltage). 'I was thinking of the Braun cruzer 6 beard&head but then I read that the guard you should use for your hair only goes down to 10mm (and apparently you can't use the 1-10mm guard on your head? Or something? Confused)

I want to be able to try a buzz cut first and if I don't like it be able to use the same machine to shave it completely smooth.

Thanks for any tips or clarifications  :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:18:36 AM by SweSly »

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: New guy here... Hair clipper vs hair trimmer vs beard trimmer
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 07:56:03 PM »
Hi SweSly:  1st of all welcome to the sly fraternity.  Glad that you joined us.  I'm unable to help you with your question since I use a safety razor to shave my head.  However, we have several members here that can help you out.  I hope that they can chime in when they see your post.

Have you ever thought about shaving your head with an actual razor such as a safety razor or a cartridge razor like the Fusion?  You can get closer shaves with a razor compared to any electric razor or trimmer.

Again, welcome to SBGs and we hope that you become an active member.  Keep us posted to your road to slyness.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline SweSly

• Learning the way of Sly
Hey!

Thanks for the links! Those look like American machines so it will take some time to sort through which ones can be used in Europe (due to difference in voltage etc). I am considering getting a safety razor for my face, but it seems like I will need some practise before I dare use it on my head, and I will need some clipper/trimmer (whatever it's supposed to be called) to get my hair down to a shave-able length first. I want to try the buzzcut first to see how it looks, too. So the best idea to me seemed to be getting a clipper/trimmer first... just need to figure out which one is the best one for me to buy.

Offline Yannis

• Sly Guy in Training
Welcome SweSly ;)

It depends and from the money you want to spend. When I started, i saw many people to talked about WAHL. I took WAHL 300 model with 30euros from shop here in Greece,and works fine for me.
I have read good things and about Wahl balding Clipper but here cost 80euros. Have better motor than mine, and from what I have read can cut until zero(mine not). Both have guide combs for different lengths.
if you didn't find Wahl products there, see from eBay. You can find many sellers from England with the right voltage.
Try also to see videos from Youtube about that products. Many people make live review.

O0

Offline EN4CER

• Sly
I'm from the UK and second the Wahl Balding Clippers.
Growing Old Disgracefully - But Bald!