Author Topic: Need more practice?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline FearandLoathing

• Learning the way of Sly
Need more practice?
« on: June 11, 2014, 01:45:24 PM »
Still really new to head shaving, Today I tried BumpPatrol shave gel, I took my time and tried to get completely smooth. However I still have a lot of rough patches. I'm planning on getting Shave Secret oil as soon as I can. Do you think this will help achieve a completely smooth dome or is it just my lack of experience? My crown is completely bald from MPB. I know once my scalp gets some sun it'll minimize the shadow effect but the weather hasn't allowed me much time outside since going sly.

Im afraid to use darkening lotion for fear I would do something wrong and look horrible. Is it pretty fool proof? Should I go for it and buy some? If so what is the safest, easiest, fool proof kind?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Need more practice?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 02:16:54 PM »
It takes most people at least two or three times to get it "right" One of the best methods that works for me, especially if I go too long between headshaves, is to lather up and shave one side at a time, first with the grain and the second time against the grain. While this may take a little longer, it gives me peace of mind that I got the shave that I wanted. It is okay to go out for a little while and get some sun on the dome, but I would say 30-45 minutes max. You may need to make a second pass at times on the sides and back because that's where the hair follicles are the strongest....Even if you get smooth, the shadow will be there until you get a good tan. Good luck (P.S. did you get the PM response from me?)
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline FearandLoathing

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 02:45:39 PM »
Yes I did and thanks! The ice helped and is *REALLY* refreshing lol. I did like you said and went with the grain lathered then against and still missed spots. I'll keep at it and hopefully get it perfected. I probably won't be able to get the witch hazel, brush, or shave oil until Saturday. Can't wait for the rain to move out so I can get some sun.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 02:59:43 PM »
Yes... head shaving takes great patience.  Whatever you do; do not rush a head shave or you will be punished with more irritation.  Just keep up with it and you will eventually be a pro at it. 

Like SirHarry and some of our other SBG members we perform an ice cube rub immediately after our head shaves.  You might want to refrigerate your witch hazel for that added boost.  The added coolness will close your pores better and it feels wonderful on a freshly shaved head.  Oh and get some Osage Rub and refrigerate that too.  You will love the Osage Rub. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 05:41:02 AM »
Practice seems to be the most decisive factor. I'm two years in and still practicing. LOL. I've discovered, also, that my scalp changes slightly over time and as I perfect a particular problem area, another one will emerge.

For me, it's a great lesson in acceptance. I accept that I will not be able to get every last bit perfectly smooth. No one but me knows.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012