Author Topic: Which blade first  (Read 2156 times)

Offline DanJMag

• Sly Jr.
  • Balding sucks. Drop the 'ing' and be beautiful.
Which blade first
« on: May 02, 2014, 11:36:34 PM »
Hello All. I bought a DE starter kit with a sample assortment of razor blades. The assortment included: Derby, Astra Superior Platinum, Astra Superior Stainless, Feather (Yellow & Black packages) and Wilkinson. So, I am wondering, as a DE newb, which blades should I start with? I imagine some are probably less forgiving to the questionable technique of the inexperienced user, so in what order would you recommend these be attempted?

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Which blade first
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 02:37:18 PM »
Thats a good question. Just ordered my first DE setup. I guess everyones skin is different so what would be bad for one might be good for another.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 09:31:16 PM »
Dan, my first was with a Wilkinson Sword blade....found a pack of 10 in Wal Mart for $1.78...It works well with most DE razors, but I do enjoy experimenting with Astra, Derby and Voshkod blades (acquired from a couple of members here). Generally, most DE blades cut the same, the only difference is the name....But some people have a preferred blade and there's nothing wrong with that.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 11:06:07 AM »
Dan, my first was with a Wilkinson Sword blade....found a pack of 10 in Wal Mart for $1.78...It works well with most DE razors, but I do enjoy experimenting with Astra, Derby and Voshkod blades (acquired from a couple of members here). Generally, most DE blades cut the same, the only difference is the name....But some people have a preferred blade and there's nothing wrong with that.
Hi Harry:  I respectfully disagree.  DE blades don't cut the same.  That is why there are so many out there.  I guess it is a YMMV but most DE shavers will agree that Derby blades do not perform better then the Feather, Astra SP, Polsilver Super Iridium.  Merkur blades are terrible but their razors are awesome.

DanJMag:  Since you mentioned the 4 blades:  Derby, Astra SP, Astra SS, and Feather.  Save the Feather last because it is the sharpest and most unforgiving blades.  You must get your technique right before taking the plunge on a Feather blade.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 11:23:23 AM »
Is the Astra a good blade to start off with or stick with the Derby that come with the DE shaver i have ordered for now?

Should i get a different blade to start shaving DE with as i have ordered the 'Feather' ones too but if they are too unforgiving for a noob like me i might be better of getting a different make, like Astra?

Offline DanJMag

• Sly Jr.
  • Balding sucks. Drop the 'ing' and be beautiful.
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 11:47:56 AM »
Warhawk, thanks for the advice. My Merkur 34C came with a Merkur blade, but based on your comments, I may just pitch it and start with a Derby and work my way towards the sharper blades as I go along.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 08:12:34 PM »
My thoughts are in line with Warhawk. My EJ89 came with Derbys. I didn't think they were so great but I had nothing to compare them to. My next blade was the Astra which I found to be much better. I saved the Feathers for about a month in. I was afraid of them due to all the comments here. However, I had a good experience with them and didn't cut myself (I am slow and careful, though). I have tried numerous blades since and I have to say so far I prefer the Feathers then, Astra.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 09:39:58 AM »
I have some shark, which are ok and forgiving, also have feathers, which I see are Japanese steel, very sharp, and gives me the closest shave, not been cut anymore than the sharks, just remember not to put any pressure on the razor, let the blade do the work

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 12:15:57 AM »
I started with Feathers because they were the only ones available locally.  I managed to avoid doing any serious damage to myself and I'm pretty clumsy!

That said, I've been lucky enough to get a pretty decent shave out of whichever blades I've tried.  Including Derby blades!  They weren't my favourites though. 

Currently I'm testing some Supermaxx blades.  I think they're good for 3 shaves.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 04:18:00 AM »
I find the supermaxx pretty good, not as sharp as the feathers, didn't get in with the Wilkinson swords at all, never been cut as much!