Author Topic: "Peak Beard"  (Read 7661 times)

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
Re: "Peak Beard"
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 02:08:42 PM »

I still think a well-groomed goatee with nice, straight edges is a great look on pretty much any guy.  It's something I will probably return to at some point when I get the urge to shake things up again.

!@!@

Razor, I can't hear such talk!   ;D

Your goatee was great too though...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 03:54:05 PM by slymyke »

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 02:15:39 PM »
[quote author=Rusty Shackleford link=topic=24671.msg335230#msg335230 date=1397937114
God forbid a guy grows facial hair because as soon as you do people treat it as an open invitation to express their negative opinions on it.  Aside from good natured trolling, is there anything else people do where their friends and family feel so free to openly insult? 
[/quote]

Ironically, the only other thing I can think of is a shaved head.  So, mix that with facial hair, and those people with no filter on their mouth and zero couth could have a field day!   

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 02:21:49 PM »
I made several attempts to grow one but never saw them through to completion -- again, out of self-consciousness, in part because the goatee didn't quite match the hair on my head.

I can see it when a guy has dark hair and grows a ginger beard, but your beard is ginger and isn't your hair too?  What didn't match?

There was a lot more red in my beard than in my hair. Wasn't a complete mismatch but I was surprised at how red the beard was.  I'd like to have some of that red back right about now.   :-[

Offline 4fit

• Super Sly
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 05:34:18 PM »
Gray is just another part of your senior status. Embrace and enjoy.  :)

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 05:58:36 PM »

God forbid a guy grows facial hair because as soon as you do people treat it as an open invitation to express their negative opinions on it.  Aside from good natured trolling, is there anything else people do where their friends and family feel so free to openly insult?  Could you imagine what would happen if a man criticized a woman's haircut, makeup, fingernails, or weight?
:*)) I'm pretty attached to my balls so I don't think I'd do any of that.
The citics are in the minority, not that I'd take much stock in their opinion(s). I listen, but at the bottom line I pretty much do what I want.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline DannyBoy

• Sly
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 04:41:55 PM »
I wore the goatee for years, with and without hair.  In my case, I always wanted a full beard, but had to wait on nature for the sides to fill in enough.  I was happy with the goatee look, but that was because a full beard was not in the cards.  I think a lot of young guys find themselves in the same situation with their beard maturity, and that is what made the goatee so popular.  Guys had a fashionable option that fit their capabilities. 

I really think most guys want a full beard, but feel restricted by their growth density, family, work, or fashion.  Some thus choose something less that a full beard or clean shaven.  I am not putting down on the goatee, it is a cool look.

I think it is the same situation with head shaving.  The young guys with the goatees in the 90's find MPB starting in the 00's, and started shaving their heads.  So the shaved head with the goatee fad started.  As those guys aged and beards matured, more moved on to a full beard, and now the full beard is popular. 

Younger guys blessed with thick full beards are able to jump straight to the full beard.

This is what it was like for me very similar ever since i started to grow hair on the cheeks and chin which was when i was about 14 (i already had mustache hair but i didnt think about facial hair then so just shaved it) i liked the idea of having a beard...i grew it out at times but due to patchy like beard i never kept it i always ended up trying out goatees which never lasted either this was before my connectors also...sometimes i never went for any look and just left stubble which made me look like i went for a stubble goatee due to my weak cheeks (i still have it to this day)...but i like that look and have it sometimes not for a while though...its only since last year i been able to grow a decent looking beard thanks to my connectors finally growing in.
It is only a problem if YOU make it a problem.