Author Topic: Porcupine beard  (Read 4992 times)

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
Porcupine beard
« on: May 18, 2014, 02:46:59 PM »
I made it to week four growing my beard back. I was clean shaven for quite a while but decided it was time to regrow my goatee. I decided to just stop shaving. I'm not sure whether this will stay a beard or be cut back to a goatee, but I am in the same place I was in the winter. I had grown my beard seven weeks. I was at a point where things had filled in and I was getting to like it. Then in attempt to trim it, I butchered it, and then shaved it all off.

What bugs me is how course my beard is, particularly on my chin. The hair will not lay flat. When I look in the mirror, I see white hair just sticking out. I kind of look like a brush. Anyone have any ideas in getting it to behave? I feel like I am looking sloppy. Is it just a matter of giving it more time?

Bronx bald and bred!

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
Re: Porcupine beard
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 07:17:25 AM »
Hey, Mike.  I'm at week 7... and my beard is pretty course too.  It even gets curly.  It seems to help if I blow it dry after a shower.  (It feels weird to use a blow-dryer... I haven't had the need for one in a while  ;D).   Don't give up... I think it will get better as it has more length.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 09:39:29 AM »
Some guys use beard oil to help tame a beard, but I do not have any personal experience with it.  With more length it will begin to lay down.  This is what us bearded guys call the scruffy stage, and you really just have to grow through it.  Similar to growing out a close buzz cut when the hair is too short to comb or style, but too long to be a normal buzz.
SlyBeard

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 10:36:19 AM »
One thing I noticed about seven years ago, when I had been wearing a full beard for about twenty-five years, was that my hairs became straight and stuck out as they turned gray. The brown curled or lay flat, but not the gray. It started to look really bad. That was the main reason I shaved it off.

My latest attempt proved the hairs had not changed. There were just a lot more gray so it was a more uniform bushiness. The longer I grew the length, the less they stuck out due to the weight of the hair, but they still did not take very well to laying flat.

I found that wetting down and combing out the goatee about three or four times a day keeps it under control.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 10:47:55 AM »
Try using lotion on it. Also use an exfoliator on it in the shower, I find that helps reduce the coarse hair a bit.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 10:54:10 AM »
As my goatee got longer, it got unruly, so after showering, while still damp, I blow dry it. Then I apply a little hairstyling paste.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 03:21:41 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will carry on!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 02:07:29 PM »
Have you washed it with shampoo? That also helps soften the hair.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline EN4CER

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 03:11:01 PM »
Hi guys.. I too am a week in to growing a beard and notice it to be wispy and uneven in places.

I was wondering whether I should trim it down with my clippers and guard to training the hairs and keep them in check?
in
This is my first attempt at growing a beard so all help welcome  :)
Growing Old Disgracefully - But Bald!

Enter your email address: