Author Topic: Last thread on here, I promise. 21/M  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Ryukil

• Sly Guy in Training
Last thread on here, I promise. 21/M
« on: April 20, 2014, 04:46:21 PM »
I do think I have alopecia areata, as when I cut my hair any shorter there are holes all over the place. However, I don't know if I also have MPB. I guess it's a fairly good possibility. I've done a good amount of research on alopecia areata incognita (my dermatologist told me I even "taught her things), and am pretty sure that I have some type of areata, most probably that type (which my dermatologist had never heard of and so kind of just dismissed it, unfortunately).

I will be going to a new dermatologist soon, one who is considered to be the best in the area in which I live. Really what I need is either a scalp biopsy or a dermatoscopy. But I would just like you guys to look at these pictures of my hairline and tell me what you think. This site tends to be a lot more supportive and understanding than some of the other sites, like hairlosstalk.com or hairlosshelp.com. Do you think this could just be a mature hairline? Is it possible for areata to affect the temples in such a way?

There are strange types of areata that look exactly like MPB, such as this guy: http://www.omicsgroup.org/journals/2167-0951/images/2167-0951-1-101-g009.gif

People on the other sites don't seem to be willing to listen to me or  understand that there are other types of hair loss besides androgenetica. They're all finasteride Nazis, to tell the truth.

Now as I said, I am open to the possibility that I have both MPB and areata, but I'm pretty sure I have areata. That one dermatologist confirmed it on my facial hair, but that's all. I tried to explain this thing called AAI to her but she wasn't really listening...so basically I have to find one is more informed and who is willing to really look at my scalp.

Here, I'll start with my juvenile hairline:
http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/Peter_Charles11/media/Mobile%20Uploads/P1010018.jpg.html

Me now: http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/Peter_Charles11/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0883.jpg.html
http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/Peter_Charles11/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0885.jpg.html
http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/Peter_Charles11/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0884.jpg.html

And here's why I think I have areata by the way, because this is what it looks like when it's buzzed short. That, and the fact that one dermatologist confirmed I have it on my face (if I have it on my face, it's not that much of a leap to say I might have it in other places as well).
https://imageshack.com/i/161sujj
https://imageshack.com/i/g4yz9ej

I showed her these pictures (and yes, it was all cut with a SINGLE GRADE. This is all evenly cut) and she just kind of ignored them. ^^

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: Last thread on here, I promise. 21/M
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 05:04:45 PM »
I'm not sure I see the issues in the photobucket photos, but in the imageshack shots, I can see the blotchy patches of hair. Would look better shaved bald than a tight buzz.

Hey, it's OK to join us either for support or in becoming a SBG. You'd look good sporting a freshly shaved head.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 05:13:39 PM by mrzed »

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 06:00:19 PM »
Your hairline easily could be mistaken for how mine looked when I was your age. A few other guys here also have told you that they showed signs of MPB at your age as well.

In a post a few months back, you stated you did not want to shave or buzz down your hair. The big question you need to consider is what you plan to do if you are diagnosed with AA or are told you just have thinning hair like a lot of men do.

Most of us here came to terms with going bald and decided not to let the loss of hair affect our lives. What will you do?

"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Ryukil

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 07:14:32 PM »
So it's beyond a mature hairline you would say? Well, I may or may not go on finasteride. Maybe I should just let nature take its course. I understand how much stress it can cause to be constantly worrying about your hair...I've experienced it. And honestly I think I would look fine with a shaved head.

I know this isn't easy to guess, but how long do you think I would have until my hair is cosmetically unacceptable (what I mean is, until it just looks pretty bad that it's just time to shave it)? Will my MPB have fully progressed by the time I'm 25?

Offline Ryukil

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 07:15:39 PM »
And yeah, you won't see the issues in the photobucket pictures...that's why it's called alopecia areata INCOGNITA.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 08:40:22 PM »

how long do you think I would have until my hair is cosmetically unacceptable (what I mean is, until it just looks pretty bad that it's just time to shave it)?

Whoa. I know you came here for our thoughts, but I am going to give you a little advice from the perspective of a guy who went through MPB in his twenties.

You have to get past the notion that there is anything "cosmetically unacceptable" about going bald. That is the thinking that leads so many men to depression and to trying to "fight" hairloss with drugs, topical medications, operations, wigs, etc. in order to feel acceptable to society. The hairlosstalk and hairlosshelp sites are full of posts from men expressing those thoughts (and yes, I have visited those sites and know what some of the posters think about us, our head shaving and our talk of being confident in onesself.

If you allow yourself to get wrapped up in your hair as the measure of yourself and your appearance, you may never be happy even if you change your appearance.

Will my MPB have fully progressed by the time I'm 25?

Honestly, every man's head and hairloss are different. Only time will tell how your hairline will look in a few years. Just don't let yours get the best of you.

"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 08:57:11 PM »
If I were you Ryukil, I wouldn't even mess with Propecia due to the side effects. I learned that from the guys here at SBG before I joined and shaved my head.  In my case, I didn't realize how bad I was thinning until about a year ago on the crown.  I first buzzed it and then last week, I shaved it off for good. Let me tell you that I feel great and that's coming from a young man (late 20s).