Author Topic: Should I do it now? or wait.  (Read 3434 times)

Offline Emann

• Learning the way of Sly
Should I do it now? or wait.
« on: March 05, 2014, 05:21:27 PM »
Before New years I told myself i will shave my head but ultimately I backed out and started thinking about Propecia. I recently found out it leads to E.D soooo that is no longer an option.  I know it could be worse, but Ive gotten somewhat depressed and I always where a beanie to hide my receding hairline.  Im only confident when I where a hat and I'm tired of it. Ive finally made my mind up and Im going to shave my head completly.  The only thing thats holding me back is that I'm only 152 pounds and i feel like i might look i have some sickness if i do it. Should I build some muscle first or should i just go for it?

Also if I decided to just go for it can you guys give a list of essential shaving tools? whats the best razor to use that will give me the cleanest slyest head.  what kind of shaving cream should I use?

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
Re: Should I do it now? or wait.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 05:28:26 PM »
Welcome Emann, you've joined a great community and you'll get lots of advice and encouragement.

For what it's worth ... I suggest you just "do it" and feel the burden of hair worries being eliminated. Read th3 "30 Day Rule" topic for more details which will help you immensely.

You'll get a lot of opinions on shaving tools. My choice is the HeadBlade sport razor and HeadSlick shave lotion. Basic, simple, and effective.

Ask questions, share stories, and become part of the Sly team.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 06:44:34 PM »
Welcome.

For basic equipment, some shave cream and a razor blade and probably some warm water will get you started.

I started with a Schick Hydro 5 razor and some basic shave cream.

I've quickly graduated to the Head Blade products. Head Slick, Head Blade Sport Razor and some Shave Secret. 

Perhaps some Head Lube Glossy.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 07:32:27 AM »
Hey Emann, welcome to SBG !

Thinking sly smooth?
TRY IT ... YOU'LL LIKE IT !

Offline tofur99

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 03:01:29 PM »
I think you might look good with a tight buzz and facial hair (not just the underchinbeard thing you've got now).  It's hard to say from your picture but that's my feeling.

Packing on any significant amount of muscle takes many months, say 4 to start.  More like a couple years, especially if your not naturally inclined to being bulky.  So waiting for that is out.

I say give it a tight buzz, you will feel great.  It's a strange thing, when you buzz your hair off you buzz away all the anxiety too.  There's nothing left to be anxious about, you are just who you are and that's it, no hiding or care for what others are thinking.  It ceases to be your problem, it's pretty cool.  You can then shave it all off if you want, I'd start with a tight buzz first to see how it looks.  It's a great haircut to live with too, rain and wind cease to be an issue, can drive with the windows down, etc.  It's freeing.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 03:25:46 AM »
Welcome aboard.

You are not happy with your hair. You wear a hat all the time. So, what i would do is do a Wet shave. See how you feel. Your hair will soon grow back if not comfortable with sly look. Remember, you can always wear the hat when you have shaved, if not happy and it may take a bit of getting used to being sly.

Go for it. I use a Gillette Fusion Proglide, Headblade Slick, Bump patrol and a good moisturiser.

Offline Emann

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 09:49:29 AM »
I received My Head Blade Kid today :D Just got to wait for the Head lube glossy, Head scrub and the Head bump removal they forgot to add to my delivery :/.. I should get it by monday!.. Cant wait to shave it !

Offline BBCESQ

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 11:09:59 AM »
Good luck!  Be careful, being bald is addicting.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 11:52:51 AM »
Nice one! Remember to follow the advice on here for shaving the head and enjoy it.

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 01:28:47 PM »
I  hope you enjoy it.  If you have any questions, let everyone here know.  They are the gurus of head shaving!

Offline philp

• Sly
    • Young Hair Loss
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 12:42:34 PM »
You're definitely making the right call. I tried Propecia when I first started going bald and dealt with terrifying sexual side effects some of which lingered several weeks AFTER I stopped taking it. Scary stuff. If you look around some of the propecia forums on the internet you will see that there are guys who are dealing with side effects even years after stopping the medication. Drug companies want money and selling you on your own insecurity is brisk business. Glad to hear you are owning up to it. You will soon feel liberated in a way that you didn't know was possible.

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 10:59:42 AM »
For years, like yourself, I was tall & thin. I'm still like that but not as thin now...

I went with a buzzcut around 18 years ago. It looked a little awkward at first but people got used to it and life rolled on. About 8 months ago I vitied a barbershop for the first in a long while intending to get a buzzcut (instead of doing it myself). He took it pretty darn short and I realized that I was about as close to smooth as anything, so I took out the razor and "manned up."

It was a bit of a shocker, just like the day that I ran electric clippers with a #2 guard through tangled, messy hair and a fine looking head emerged. I loved the feel and even though I would sometimes let it grow out in colder weather, it was never terribly long after that first time. Now I'm smooth and loving it, I think you will love it too. It is addicting and wonderful and feel super when smooth (hence the term "super-smooth? lol).

I can't stress the 30-day rule enough, myself. I thought "what have I done?" and wanted to will my hair to grow back (where it grows at all) super-fast! But I found SBG, read about the 30-day 'rule' and stuck with it. Now over 8 months later...

Enjoy being smooth, it's an enjoyable way to be!

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 11:42:05 AM »
Looks ace! Nice one

Enter your email address: